Ratings for Dr. David W. Chen

I'm surprised to see these not so great reviews. I had come to Dr Chen with a complicated problem I had been dealing with for two years, and he was able to get to the root of the issue. He put me on medication and told me to call in a week to follow up to see if I was noticing a difference. I called the following week in the morning and received a phone call back in the late afternoon from the NP, letting her know I was not feeling any better. He then was able to schedule me for steroid and trigger point injections THE NEXT DAY. Dr Chen exceeded my expectations.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

Dr. Chen is a horrible doctor. Dr. Chen treated my daughter for migraine. He increased her medicine and she continued to have debilitating headaches. My daughter is a student at MIT and needed to be functional. Many days she was unable to get out of bed. He told her she'd have to deal with the pain because otherwise any pain medicine would create rebound headaches. I spoke to Dr. Chen, via the Mass General email. He was condescending and offered no constructive medical advice. I praise God that I just bit the bullet, realized this wasn't going to work and researched other qualified neurologist in Boston. We had to wait 4 months but had a appointment yesterday with a phenomenal doctor, who works at Beth Israel. I don't know if I can name her here, but for those of you countless patients unsatisfied with Dr.Chen, my advice is do your research. Better is available and you all deserve BETTER.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2013

I agree with the previous review. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get in touch with Dr. Chen's coordinator/assistant. I can't imagine how long it might take to reach the doctor himself. When you call MGH Neurology, your call is auto-answered by a recording and put on hold. I called once this morning and asked for a call back. Called again this afternoon because I never heard from them. Both times I waited 10+ minutes to talk to a human who then said they would push my message along to the coordinator.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2013

It's extremely difficult to reach the coordinator for appointments. I usually leave many messages (at least 1/day over a few days) requesting a call back for an appointment but never get a call back. Been going to Dr. Chen for a few years but am no better off than I was at the first appointment. So, I don't think I can comment on "Knowledge." Just keep getting prescriptions but nothing helps. So, I don't think "Helpfulness" is a strong point. Been taking a dangerously high dose and it doesn't seem to alarm anyone but me. MGH is supposed to be #1 but, I should feel better about going here than I do. Is this what going to a neurologist is all about?

flag | Submitted April 13, 2013

flag | Submitted August 20, 2012

I share you pain! I love MGH but Dr. Chen is the worst Doctor . He did not exam me, ask medical questions or review my medical history. He was arrogant about opinions ( sinus infections are really migranes) and just not that knowledgable about headaches in general. Once again he prescribed medication that was not covered under my Tufts medical plan. It has been 5 days with no call back. This is typical of his care.This man is ignorant, rude and does not care for his patients. I will be filing a complaint with Mass General. Please don't waste your time seeing this doctor.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2012

This had to be the worse expereince of my life. When Irealized this was not the doctor for me and that I had never had a migraine before, he insisted that i did. After again I told him I did not have them he then tried to give me medicine...For what i asked, he said for the migraines. when Ithen told him it could be for my other medical conditions that I had head pain told me that they was not the reason...He stated that " sinus infections were not infections but migraines." Wow I did not know that have a fever of 103 and green stuff coming out of your nose was a migraine. I also had to have sugery for impacted infections. Please do not see this doctor. There is so much better. Do not go..

flag | Submitted January 15, 2012

Dr. Chen made my migraines go away with three simple words: Stop Taking Tylenol. He told me I was getting rebound headaches from taking Tylenol and Excedrin migraine every few hours of every day. When I stopped, I no longer got headaches. If I get the occasional one, I take Aleve, also his suggestion. Thank you, Dr. Chen!

flag | Submitted July 15, 2011

Lousy bedside manner and as said by another patient POOR follow through. Doesn't return phone calls and gives opinions about different specialties other than Neurology. Alike the other poster below, he was NOT correct about his opinions. Finding a new specialist as he's a disappointment. Total WASTE of my time.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2009

Dr. Chen is arrogant, doesn't listen & interrupts (rudely) when a patient tries to actively participate in his/her care. He is WAY behind the knowledge curve in his field (vs. Beth Israel or Cleveland Clinic, etc.) which I unfortunately discovered 4 years into a v bad case of short nerve disease that became much worse under his alleged 'care'. (I was stuck w/him for 4 yrs since I don't drive, MGH is close to my home and office & it's too difficult to take buses/T due to my pain.) Also, it can take up to a year to get an appt. w/ another neurologist in Boston & then you start again...) He refused to prescribe anything but Gabapentin when there are newer, better meds that I researched and told him about, he wouldn't give me a 'short nerve' test for 4 years even though I said my symptoms indicated it & was right) He also refused to prescribe pain medication for 4 yrs because he told me I was "exaggerating my symptoms". He cost me my mobility, career & happiness. Don't learn the hard way.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2009

Dr. David W. Chen's Credentials

• University Of Rochester School Of Medicine And Dentistry (Grad. 2000)

Scott & White