Ratings for Dr. Shirley Tse

We have been dealing with Dr. Tse for over 4 years and have had only positive interactions with her and her staff. I have to admit that when I first found out that we would be referred to her for our sons care that I was hesitant. I had checked this site and only found negative comments. We almost requested another doctor but decided to give her a try. We have found her to be incredibly thorough, knowledgable and nothing short of amazing in her treatment and care of our son. The only negative in her review is in regards to punctuality as there is often a wait of up to an hour or more for a scheduled appointment but I firmly believe that that is because she is so thorough. Our son turns 18 in the fall and is transitioning to adult doctors and we are all going to miss Dr. Tse and her staff. I would recommend her in a heartbeat.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

Dr. Tse thinks that she knows everything, yet burns a patient out by all the testing she wants done. Many may find that as a good thing, but when a doctor like her is unsure what she is treating yet gives that patient toxic drugs based on assumption then those tests become redundant. Her bedside manner is completely lacking, and brings her little students around like you are some lab rat. As someone who saw Dr. Tse for many years, I regret the many times I had to see her when my rheumatologist was not available.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2016

I had concerns when I read these ratings and found out we had been referred to Dr. Tse. I have to say our experience with her and everyone in the department has been wonderful. She was very kind and engaging to my daughter, careful and thoughtful when she needed to discuss some uncomfortable subjects about my daughters treatment. She brought a nurse in to play with my daughter and pulled me into another room so that we could discuss her treatment plan without alarming my girl. Any time I've called for advise or to communicate concerns the nurse has returned my calls and quickly found the information out or adjusted the medication she was taking. This will be ongoing but I have to say our experience with her as our Rheumatologist has been extremely good.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2012

Dr Shirley Tse saw my sixteen year old daughter after a three hour wait, and proceeded to talk at her, not with her. She did not examine her , answer any of her questions or interact with her in any way. She told my daughter that she took a non-medicinal approach to the treatment of Fibromyalgia, and that all she could suggest was daily exercise, a healthy diet and get a good night sleep. When my daughter said that she was doing all those things and had been for several years and that she was not getting any better, Dr tse shrugged and said " What do you want me to do?" This from the leading expert in the field, at the best childrens hospital in the World. Not acceptable and very devastatingly dissapointing.My daughter waited five months just to be given this appointment. She left crying.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2012

She was a great asset to our family my sons diease is in remission.. Thank you Dr Tse

flag | Submitted June 15, 2011

We have had nothing but positive experiences at Sick Kids, and Dr. Tse has been part of that. She has been very friendly and helpful. Although, her times with us are not lengthy, I would rather be in adn out as soon as possible, and I know there are other patients waiting, so we do not mind.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2009

My daughter has been seen at Sick Kids Hospital for many years. The staff is amazing, however this doctor has never taken the time to review my daughters chart in detail or to explain to us reasons for her treatments. When very serious problems arose due to her instructions, it was ignored. Questions always remain unanswered and concerns are ignored. As a result of this, our daughter experienced a near fatal incident. It is very disappointing when a doctor ignores information and treats patients "on mass". Meaning "if you've seen one, you've seen them all" and treat them all the same. This doctor needs to listen more and pay attention to each patients individual needs rather than swooping in at the end of the appointment, rendering her decision based on little information and letting vital questions remain unanswered.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2008

Dr. Tse comes across as a good scientist, however is lacking in bedside manner. Communication skills are lacking. Dr. Tse communicates better with adults than teens or children. Our appointment took a total of 4 hours. It would have been helpful to be aware of this ahead of time. We have found it very difficult to get assistance between appointments when my daughter is experiencing difficulty or to get adequate answers to questions asked. While all staff members are polite, our overall experience has been one of disappointment.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2008