Ratings for Dr. Paul M. Francis

I was referred to Dr Francis after my doctor called twice before I got home from my MRI for an unrelated issue. I was told it was a serious issue that could not wait or I could end up paralyzed by moving or lifting incorrectly. I met with an assistant who went over the films I had picked up and brought with me and scheduled the soonest available date. When I met with him the morning before he did some tests of his own on my range of motion and muscle strength and asked some questions. He canceled the surgery and told me I was in great shape for my age, would be unable to do the things I love to do if I had surgery and that I did not need it as it would not improve my life. While he did nit hold my hand or act just like Marcus Welby he was the most honest and straightforward Doctor I have ever met. He recommended as well not to ever take p ain medication for more then a few days as eventually they stop working and that Yoga was the best thing for me. I silently thank him every day for keeping me from agreeing to an unnecessary surgery.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2016

Rude, sarcastic, completely unhelpful. Did not provide me any treatment options and told me to "live with it." Talked about himself 90% of my consult. I don't care about your previous back problems. I am here for mine. Completely shut me down on every thing I mentioned. Made me feel like he was literally just trying to collect a payment and kick me out. Worst experience I have EVER had with ANY doctor.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2016

Dr. Francis clearly went out of his way to take my husband as a patient and do very necessary surgery immediately. A very exceptional human being. Compassionate and extremely kind. His bedside manner is excellent. My paraplegic husband thanks to Dr. Francis has another chance of regaining the mobility he had before the surgery performed by Dr. Francis. Such a humble man.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2016

I broke my neck at 2-3..3-4..5-6 ..and Dr Francis saved my life and my walking ability ..who gives a you know what about his manor ..God himself made this man ..he is who you want behind the knife..Dino barber father of 3 grandfather of 5 ,,I will never be able to thank him enough

flag | Submitted June 25, 2015

Based on the below comments, I have to perhaps agree Dr. Francis may not have the warmest bedside manner, but that's just a personality trait you may or may not mesh with. As far as skills, ability and knowledge, he is excellent. I had an emergency surgery with him (literally at 5pm, I went into his office, he looked at my MRI and turned to his nurse - "cancel my morning surgery and get this booked first thing") which ended my paralysis. My second surgery with him, we discussed all my options and concerns thoroughly and medically. Not touchy-feely. He doesn't hand hold - he FIXES you.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2015

I was scheduled for a Spinal Fusion surgery at 1:30 pm but then the office left a message to be at the office instead of the hospital at 9:00 am. I called to verify this information and was told they would call me back with a time of surgery. They never called back. I had to call them myself more than once to get an answer. Dr. Francis' staff told him I was rude to them but I was not. He turned on me at that time and accused me of being a "toxic individual" and claimed that I always give people a hard time but this is not true. He even spoke condescendingly to my wife before the surgery when he got on my case about upsetting his staff. He said the only way he would do the surgery is if I promised to "behave" and not upset anyone. This was uncalled for. He has no bedside manner and would not even come into my room after surgery to explain what was done. He is arrogant and admits it. He also alienates the hospital staff against the patient. I would not recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2013

April 2nd 2003 I was rear ended when stopped on my motorcycle car was doing 40 mph. I was taken to jcl north mountain, spent the 1st 10 days in icu before my spine could be repaired. Dr. Francis an crew performed a thorocatamy w/ spinal fusion t-11 to L-1. The e-room doc when I came in did not give me much hope. After my surgery I had a long recovery due to the thorocatamy but I will say with no hesitation that Paul Francis is a great surgeon he doesn't b.s. the patient and actually taught me that you do not have to be a test subject for doctors. Prior to meeting paul I went through 19 doctors for migraines due to a prior neck injuriy to this day I still see adoc that he referred me to for my migraines. No more idiots for me thanks to Paul Francis and my spineis great not 100 percent but it is great considering all I went through.Thank-you a million times over.. David Evans custom car and motorcyle builder.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2011

Surgery was ok but Doctor paralysed my vocal cord, changing my life forever

flag | Submitted September 2, 2011

Dr. Francis is a gem. He has performed 2 surgeries on me. He has a great office staff. I have never had an appointment where he rushed me because he had a full waiting room. Extremely thorough in his explaination of procedures. Kind, caring, I recommend him without hesitation.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2011

I think Dr. Francis is great. He was kind and I felt total confidance with him. I have a herniated disc in my neck and he wants me to do injections before considering surgery. He set me up with a great spinal specialist for the injections and has answered all my questions when I have called. I would recommend him to anyone needing a Nerosurgeon. He has a very nice office, not like some of the dr. offices I have been to that look like they went to the flea market for their furnishings...if they cut corners on their office what else are they cutting corners on???

flag | Submitted September 23, 2010

Dr. Paul M. Francis's Credentials

• New York Medical College (Grad. 1987)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal