Ratings for Dr. Neal J. Shikuma

I saw Dr. Shikuma several years ago. I found him to be thorough, both in the tests he requested and his explanations of the resulting data. I was able to hold an intelligent conversation with him and he absolutely listened to my concerns. I was referred for follow up after 2 incidents of atrial fibrillation. Rather than simply prescribing the generic treatments, he saw me as an individual. He ordered an exhaustive panel of tests to determine exactly what I needed, not what is most commonly done. Based on the data, which he patiently explained to my wife and me, he did not prescribe blood thinners. He reviewed potential treatments and surgery options, but determined they were unnecessary for me. I enjoyed hearing about his experiences at USC and his son, as this helped me to see him as a fellow human being. Now, several years later, Dr. Shikuma's treatment recommendations prove to have been accurately prescribed for me. To me, this is the bottom line. I strongly recommend Dr. Shikuma.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2016

Dr Shikuma may seem aloof, but really he is not. He is focused on your report sent back from the tests he feels necessary to properly diagnose your cardio health, and during this process is listening and at the same time typing in you r information so nothing is missed later. He is detailed oriented. He spends well over 20 minutes answering your questions on what the data means. He also will tell you exactly what you need to do to change to b achieve the optimal heart health you can be at even if you may not like to hear it. just an honest man telling you like it is. Which I appreciate. The man saved my life with the battery of tests when other cardiologists missed. He scheduled me for a double bypass at Queens who the Cardio Thoracic Surgeon Nakumura concurred Shikuma's diagnoses.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2016

Incredibly unknowledgable, very rude, Does not listen to the person sitting in front of him . He is more concerned about telling you of his personal accomplishments, rather than helping figure out what is happening with the person who needs immediate help. I highly recommend that you seek out another medical professional. It will be worth the wait.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2015

Dr. Shikuma saved my life. He found a problem that other doctors, including other cardiologists completely missed. He knew that even if I looked okay on the outside, that something else was going on with my heart. He immediately sent me for angiogram and they found that my heart was 90% blocked. This would have led to a heart attack if it was not found. I am now alive thanks to Dr. Shikuma. His knowledge and experience with cardiology is excellent and will continue saving lives. When I go to the doctor, the most important thing for me is their knowledge and experience. I have recommended Dr. Shikuma to other people I know who have heart issues and they have told me that they love Dr. Shikuma because he is a caring and brilliant cardiologist. Thank you Dr. Shikuma for saving my life! I and my family are forever grateful to you!

flag | Submitted May 3, 2015

Beware of this awful human! I have been taking my elderly mother to Dr. Shikuma for three years. Only because there was no other cardiologist on the west side of the Big Island. He has a zero bed side manner. He was always late and always boastful of himself. He is so disrespectful to my mother. Never has made eye contact with her. On our last visit, I finally called him out on his disgusting behavior. He actually raised his voice at me. I had made this last appointment with him to get the answer to an important question to do with my mom's care. Not only could he not answer it, he was condescending of the question. We will never go back to him. Today, I ran into an employee of his. She told me that Dr. Shikuma is a horrendous boss. She said he acts like an egomaniac with staff and customers. Oh, and just as has been previously mentioned, he orders every test under the sun. Things that are not even called for. He is a fraud. Beware of his trying to get you to do surgery right away. Make sure to get a second opinion. If you decide not to do surgery, after researching options, he will simply tell you that you will die. My mother is going strong 3 years after being told this by him. This man should not have a license. Final thing, he is not an AMA member. Save yourself all the grief and find a truly respectable cardiologist. We just did.

Submitted February 22, 2015

Dr. Neal Shikuma has changed my life forever! :) Love, Nurse Allie

flag | Submitted July 7, 2013

After being released from Queen's and told in writing they ruled out heart attack, Dr. Neal Shikuma quickly diagnosed the heart attack and the unusual cause from Cardio Vaso Spasm. This was then confirmed through multiple tests and angiogram. He takes considerable time to actually talk with the patient and he is a brilliant man. It is a long wait - people are willing to wait for such exceptional care. I would happily wait for hours on end to be able to see such an outstanding compassionate and highly skilled Doctor. He is a life saver and gave me a prescription that really helps. I trust him and am glad we have access to such great care in Hawaii.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2012

While Dr. Shikuma was late, he was called to the hospital for a patient, very understandable. His very pleasant attitude put me at ease while he explained the possible scenarios associated with my current condition. He explained everything in an easy to understand, professional terms including tests to be done and why each test is important to narrow down why my problem happened and how to prevent future occurances. Aside from being late and honestly what doctor has ever seen you at the exact time scheduled, I was very impressed wih him as a doctor both in his ability to put me at ease but also to professionally explain my problem in terms that did not scare the crap out of me! Best doctor I've ever been to!

flag | Submitted March 12, 2012

Dr Shikuma was disrespectful to my father , a elderly man. He did not listen to his concerns and spoke sharply to him & my mother, as if he was scolding them. He is not helpful in assisting them with their concerns. As Medicare patients, they should be appreciative of his services.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2011

When reading the other reviews on Dr. Shikuma, it's like reading about a different person! I have nothing but positive experiences with Dr. Shikuma, both as a doctor and a person. He is thorough, takes his time, runs the necessary tests and follows up. He is polite and interested in the patient and sees her/him as a whole person. I do agree that his office staff could use some courses in running an office efficiently, keeping times and records, but that is after all, another story! I feel very fortunate to have come to Dr. Shikuma and he probably saved my life. Regarding saving lives: keep in mind that sometimes when Dr. Shikuma is running late, it's because he is saving someone's life. Next time it could be you or me...

flag | Submitted May 24, 2011

Dr. Neal J. Shikuma's Credentials

• University Of Hawaii John A. Burns School Of Medicine (Grad. 1977)

Top Hospitals in Waimea, HI