Ratings for Dr. Michael J. Boyd

I've had 3 visits to remove some pretty scary eyelid cysts, and have been spoiled by the quality of Dr Boyd's work and his forthrightness in describing their cause, my susceptibility to them and the specifics about the procedure at hand. I don't think I've ever waited more than 2 minutes past my appointed time, and the reception and support staff have always been knowledgeable and responsive to any questions I've had. (as per Dr Boyd's comportment) I've read a few reviews from people upset with the number of patients in his waiting room, but it is shared by several doctors, and why would it be surprising to find that the best Dr.s would be the busiest ? I've been to half a dozen different Dr's in the 18 years I've lived in Vancouver, and none have instilled in me the peace of mind and lack of anxiety about a return visit that Dr Boyd has and does.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2018

Dr. Boyd is maybe good at his work, but as I read these reviews, I see that the best ones come from people who have had more expensive procedures than we have, We are senior citizens and he has seen us both, and my elderly mother, as patients. I will NEVER set foot in his office again after the experience I last had with him. I was told by him two years ago that I had cataracts and was so nervous of this man and his unfriendly manner, from seeing him over years, that I took two years to get up the courage and go for what I thought would be a check up before the surgery-which I had already filled out papers for previously. From start to finish he was and always is packed, and patients went into his inner offices like people on a production line-never even a kind look or acknowledgement to them.. He examined my eyes for five minutes and then told me he saw nothing wrong-great I thought- and then he said to "come back in one-no two years"! I was shocked, as where had my cataracts gone? He always over years gets up abruptly and walks off into the outer office for his next patient- and ever again without so much as a goodbye. I followed him quickly out to where many patients were still sitting and asked as I flew along behind him, why I was told that I had cataracts that I needed surgery for-especially two years later? He said in front of everyone in an awful manner to me, "well I guess we made a mistake!" I was shocked, embarrassed, and confused, and did not want to question him further for the look of disturbance on his face-kind of like the looks your parents might give you if you had done something wrong. I wanted to get out of there quickly, and nervously asked if I could have a prescription for glasses as my vision was so blurry. He grunted and said he could give a me graded prescription- but I wanted to buy one pair for distance and one for close-up as that fits my lifestyle better. He said- in front of everyone loudly enough-"what do you mean-for reading and computer type prescription?" I answered yes, and he asked me "how far did I read a book." I felt stupid as how far does anyone hold a book-so I showed him in front of me. He asked "where my computer is", for which I again held my hands in front of my waist area, on a desk. He said-in front of the whole office-"well how far is that. I mean, is it as far as from my secretary to here?"-he swung his hand out to point to where she was sitting" I again showed him in front of my waist and said "no-to here in front of me." He wrote it out and handed it to me gruffly, but only one prescription for reading. I just wanted to leave and quickly did so. When I got to the glasses factory that I have gone to before, she told me that there was only one prescription for close-up. So I had to phone the office and explain that I was there, and could he give me the distance prescription. It was faxed over in a half hour, but yes, at times his staff look at you quite like you are a non-person, and treat you that way. I always thought, until I read the other review, that I was wanting too much, and to stop looking for it. Now, I have discovered that the prescription is not good for either pair of glasses that I bought. Something is wrong with them for the vision for my right eye. I am out the money for that, and since a vision exam is paid for by the government once a year, I am not sure where I stand. BUT, we will NEVER go to him again as my husband witnessed all of this happening in front of him- nor will I recommend him, as I realized how much relief I felt at going somewhere else in future. We can save the money needed. He was recommended in trust by my Doctor, but since i am a good judge of character and fair I am told over years, I am going to tell my family doctor about this experience as well, and hopefully nobody else who gets a chance to read this and think twice, will go without being prepared. Maybe Mr. Boyd needs to realize that he needs US-government income supplemented elderly patients even-more than we need him! I am actually sorry to write this as I have taken his behaviour and excused it for too many years-what a relief to never experience his snideness again!

flag | Submitted April 24, 2018

Dr Boyd is thorough in his examination, very knowledgeable. His staff can be insolent, especially if

flag | Submitted April 19, 2018

This was truly an excellent experience. Thank you so much to Dr. Boyd and his wonderful staff.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2018

...thank you, thank you, thank you....gosh it's like somebody turned on the lights.....Linda King

flag | Submitted January 19, 2018

I was born with bad vision. Dr Boyd had performed two cataract surgeries on me, and on both occasions I was wheeled into the operating room blind or near blind, and walked out with clear vision. As other patients have testified, he is a brilliant surgeon. Throughout all my visits to his clinic, that spanned nearly 15 years, I received nothing but the best medical care and professional attention from the good doctor himself and his team.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2017

So the doctors is helpful , however I have never dealt with unprofessional and ignorant behaviour from the doctors office front desk before -there's no need for it . I understand there busy -just like every doctors office . If I hadn't already made a booking I would have walked out . There is many ophthalmologists in Burnaby that are Excellent at what they do .

flag | Submitted November 3, 2017

I am a senior and Dr Boyd did both my eyes for cataract surgery. I no longer need to wear glasses as he promised. This means a great deal to me as I had been wearing glasses as a kid. Dr Boyd and his staff are professional and friendly. I have happily recommended him to my friends and neighbors.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2017

Dr. Boyd is the most unfriendly person I've ever met. He doesn't want to take time to answer questions, he just has you fill out forms. If I'm going to let him do lenses replacement on my eyes I have the right to know the procedure, the cost involved and when payment is due. The two ladies sitting at reception are not very helpful and just as unfriendly, of course I wouldn't be too happy working for a sour puss either.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2017

Extremely rude doctor. Start laughing at my last name. Didn't listen to me about my eye problem. Doesn't care about his parents at all! At all! Wouldn't recommend to anyone! Stay away from this......!

flag | Submitted September 6, 2017

Dr. Michael J. Boyd's Credentials

• University of Ottawa (Grad. 1984)

Green Shield Insurance