You may also like

Rate Dr. Megan H. Cortazzo

Dr. Megan H. Cortazzo's Ratings

I was hurt at work. Work comp Doc's are useless. Went to UPMC under my own insurance. After the sports med MD did all she could do she referred me to an associate of Dr. Cortazzo, luck of the draw I got Dr. Cortazzo instead. She seemed knowledgeable. She suggested injections for my low back pain. I had been in pain for so long I was willing to do anything short of surgery. Had the steroid injection, worked great. She told me I was a good candidate for the nerve oblation. The 2 diagnostic injections sucked but if it was going to stop the pain who cares. Had the oblation. The pain returned after the lidocaine wore off but they did tell me that it could take weeks for the nerves to die. The pain never got better. Went to the 6 week follow up appointment. She was pretty much at a loss. Let's try 1 more thing... physical therapy with this guy who "works wonders." Okay, sure. Went to the appt. at PT. 1st session I waited 45 minutes into my appt time before anyone came to get me. Was told to "think happy thoughts" & to "rub my legs like I'm putting on lotion..." the "good" feelings will stop the pain. Humm. Really. What bull is that? I've been in pain for months & you're telling me "happy thoughts" are going to let me sleep more than an hour at a time & my back pain will go away? What was I thinking? Duh. I went back for the 2nd PT appt and felt like I was being held hostage, 3.5 hours. By the time I left I had a migraine and I couldn't get off the living room floor. I literally crawled to the bathroom. I called & said I would not be back for anymore PT. I had my follow up appt with Dr. Cortazzo the other day. By the way, the other reviews are absolutely right. You do answer a zillion questions on NASTY I-pads that they don't wipe off unless you ask them, yuk! But I did notice that THIS time, there were pamphlets from the QUACK physical therapy place all over the counters...humm. Then a medical assistant with NO personality takes you back to a room. When you tell them you're NOT taking any pain medication they roll their eyes at you, I can imagine how they act if you do. Then some PA who doesn't bother to present a professional appearance with shaggy dirty looking hair dragging in his eyes pulls up my films and says "I don't see anything here to justify the pain you SAY your having." EXCUSE ME...? 1st of all, what happened to "PAIN is what the patient says it is?" And excuse me, I don't care HOW long you SAY you've been doing this. YOU my friend look like a snot nosed, know it all kid AND you're a PA. That's 1 small step higher than a butt wipin' nurse. Your too lazy to be a nurse or an UNDERACHIEVER that couldn't make it as an MD! Besides, you're NOT a doctor and can't READ shizzle as far as "films" go, that's a REAL doctor's job! I asked for a steroid dose pack to stop the inflammation from the PT disaster. He refused! NOT pain meds, just a dose pack. He basically said: here, go to PT cause you're deconditioned but that's all. Really. I've been working this whole time, light duty. But my job has no "light duty." So I walk 3 to 5 miles a day (at my work) I deliver equipment: pushing, pulling(at my work)I'm HARDLY "deconditioned." Yes, I do have a tummy. I won't lie. BUT I also had 4 kids ALL over 10 lbs at birth sorry to say rock hard abs ain't happening again in this life time. I'm no spring chicken either. Deconditioned my hinny! I could probably out walk him! He didn't look like he does much exercising other than running to the refrigerator between XBOX games. Needless to say I asked for my records to be sent to me. Dr. Cortazzo seems to be a 1 trick pony. If injections don't work for you, you're screwed & she's done with you because you didn't fit into one of her case studies and are no longer of use to HER instead of her trying to help you. My Mama always said, "you are only as good as the people you surround yourself with." She was ABSOLUTELY right. Her staff is terrible and a Doctor who is in it for self promotion...well enough said. It probably didn't help that I called her Physical Therapy buddy a quack--I'm sure HE buys her ALLOT of lunches for promoting his quack "new age" bull business. Just remember... If you're out there... Having "pain" issues... THINK HAPPY THOUGHTS--it's ALL in your head... Do yourself a favor and go to someone who cares.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2881300].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 30, 2015

This is one doctor where honesty will get you nowhere but in trouble. Because I was honest with the amount of pills I had left over for one month they cut me back by 2 pills per day. After this occurred, I had a few falls due to ice and another medical condition which caused more than my normal pain. I asked the PA's who in turn consulted with Dr. Cortazzo (I use the Dr. loosely) to please put me back up by 1 more pill a day for a few months in a row and she refused giving some extremely lame excuse. I developed another situation where I was in excruciating pain for weeks ,therefore I had to up myself for a couple of weeks which caused me to run short. I had an old prescription from another doctor of a different pain medication, my medical records confirm this, so of course I took 2 of the old pain medication. The following days I went to Cortazzo's office and was asked to do a urine test. I had forgotten about the other medication which showed up in the tests. My last visit to the doctor, they brought it up and booted me out. Their own PA looked up in the system where another doctor had written for the other pain medicine and it was confirmed to them that I did NOT go get the medicine from some place else. They told me they would no longer give me pain medication and that I'll have to find another doctor. I went there for 5 years and never once did I give them problems, have urine tests showing I'm on all kinds of drugs, nothing. Honesty does not pay with Cortazzo. My suggestion to anyone is this: if you have extra pain medication left over for the month, do NOT take it in with you. Take those pills out of the bottle before you go or you WILL be penalized. I was raised to believe that honesty is the best policy, I guess Cortazzo was NOT!!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2799885].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 6, 2015

Do not go to this dr for the following reasons: 1 - relies on you filling out 50 to 60 questions using a computer tablet rather than taking time with you and discussing your medical issues. 2 - does not meet with you but rather you will be meeting regularly with the physicians assistant. 3 - Does not have any clue what it means to have chronic pain that can just test your every fiber. 4 - If you have UPMC insurance, Cortazzo's office will check with your pharmacy records and audit your medications from other medical professionals and speak to you like you are a piece of chewed gum on the bottom of a shoe if you have anything ordered that even gives an appearance that her medical license could be in question. If I were you, I would think twice about going to Cortazzo's office. She is very cold and distant. She has not grasp of the patient's point of view, medical condition, or long term outcome of the patient. If you do a google on her, you will see that she spends more time publishing papers than treating patients. I am sure she likes her pay check but she doesn't earn it. She is not a good medical professional and has no business treating patients for something she has no patient understanding. If you get treatment from this person, you will regret it, as I do. I wish I could take every dollar and cent I paid in co pays. She is the bottom of the barrel doctor. Beware and Be smart, find a different dr.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2662973].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 25, 2014

In the past three years, I have seen Dr. Cortazzo twice. If you end up going there, you will meet with a PA. All of a sudden, they have been asking all patients to bring in their pills/bottles for every appointment. It sounds very fishy and it sounds like somethiing "happened." I started going there b/c I read great things on the internet about Dr. Cortazzo. If you can, find another pain professional. I have a feeling that there is more to the story and she is being watched by her supervisors or the DEA. In addition to this, each time I had a medical issue, rather than send me for tests like other dr's I had, the PA repeatedly sent me to the ER. The ER folks were extremely upset with me and told me to never come back due to a chronic pain issue. Dr. Cortazzo and her PA's should be doing their jobs, not sending anyone on to the ER. Avoid this Dr. and her PAs at all costs!!! If I had to rate them overall from 1-10, I would give them a 1.5 (more like a 1).

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2531442].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 10, 2014

Dr. Cortazzo is knowledgeable but she's moody. Some days she cares and pays attention but other days she may barely speak to you. I feel bad for the poor people who work for her. She sees to make them on edge and mistakes are made. I've heard her referred to as a needle jockey. Trigger Point injections were her gold mine until insurance stopped paying for them probably because docs like her abused it. She's terrified of the DEA so even though she gets you on pain meds (she gave me more than I had been on without me asking.) Then she gets nervous and starts to demonized you for taking them. She will find a way to cut you off like the other commenter said above leaving you without care and labeled an addict in the UPMC system. How is that not violating privacy?? Forget that First Do No Harm pledge of the medical profession, she defines doing harm; she creates a worse situation. A desperate one.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][526104].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 4, 2013

I was honest with this doctor, I have suffered from back problems for the past ten yrs and NO DOCTOR other then an EMERGENCY room physician will help me :( My quality of life is so bad that I dont even want to live anymore :( I cant sleep and I can not function and i have to use crutches sometimes to move around my home and often time Im stuck in my home. I was honest with this doctor about self medicating myself with weed! SHE DIDNT FIND OUT FROM A DRUG TEST, I TOLD HER THATS WHAT I DO SOMETIMES FOR PAIN RELIEF! NOW IM BLACKBALLED IN THE UPMC SYSTEM~! Thanks Dr Cortazzo, Honesty got me NO WHERE! DO NOT EVER TELL THIS DOCTOR THE TRUTH if your truth happens to be like mine! Weed stays in your system for 30 days, I smoked it once this past month, Id probably smoke it everyday if I could afford to just to get some relief from pain, but i cant! Now I cant even go to a UPMC doctor and get any form of pain narcotic :( WOW! Im not some junkie, Im a woman suffering from chronic pain! HELP ME!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][526103].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 6, 2013

Very good pain doctor, sweet and compassionate. Had an answer for every question and listen thoroughly to my complete medication history.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][526102].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 12, 2009

I think Dr. Cortazzo is great. She is intellegent and very concerned about her patients. I don't think you can go wrong by choosing her.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][526101].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 15, 2009

A great doctor should personify a confluence of many things, some concrete and some more abstract. I want someone who is intellectually at the top of their form, instilling a state of peace and confidence in me as the patient. I want to know that they possess an ongoing sense of inquisitiveness and involvement in their specialty, as well as general medicine. A compelling mind without a feeling heart reduces the scope of a physician, particularly if patient is engaging in long term treatment with them. To me, Dr. Cortazzo exemplifies the perfect confluence of this dualism that should be manifest in every doctor. She is brilliant and understanding, determined and unwavering in her efforts to provide the holistic pinnacle of care for her patients. She is the absolute best and most complete doctor I have ever encountered.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][526100].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 5, 2008

Has no clue what is going on. Horrible experience with her staff and with her. STAY AWAY

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][526099].votes_count ]]