Ratings for Dr. Eve Chung Tsai
Unless Dr Tsai can operate on you, forget it. It appears that she has no consideration for you as a patient unless she can get you under the knife! Although you are a patient you cannot reach her ...... or anyone in her office. Phone messages are useless, neither she nor her staff will ever call you back. You cannot even talk with someone. Scheduled follow-ups go un-noticed. She also refuses to to refer you if you move out of her geographic location. You become a non-entity! So much for the hippocratic oath!
My family doctor referred me to a neurosurgeon and told me that the wait can be a year or so to get an appointment. I got a call from Dr. Tsai office in May and gave me a 9 am appointment the following month. My husband and I showed up at Civic hospital at 9am on the day of he appointment. I was given a couple of forms to fill out and I was brought to a room. The nurse asked me the same questions that are in the forms I just filled out. Then the doctor's assistant interviewed me asking the same questions. After the interviews, we were asked to stay and wait in the room. We waited until 12:00. Nobody bothered to check and inform us as to what is going on and the reason for the wait... I went to the front desk and asked the receptionist if it usually take that long to see Dr. Tsai ( we've been waiting for 3 hours). The receptionist just shrug his shoulder. At 12:30 we were told that the doctor will be seeing me next. We waited for another hour and at that point my patience was running thin and I was ready to leave (I patiently waited because it is very difficult and it takes too long to get an appointment with Dr. Tsai). But we waited for over FOUR HOURs. No respectful doctor, no matter how good he or she is, has the right to let the patient with an appointment wait that long! On our way out, my husband ran into the nurse and expressed our disappointment and concerns.. she brought us back in the room and we were told that there was an emergency etc.. We indicated to her that we understood that in the hospital, emergency cases overrides appointments. However, the nurse and the doctor's assistant must have known that emergency cases can take minutes or many hours and that they should have informed us about the situation and gave us the choice either to wait or to reschedule. Instead, they just left us waiting for hours. Dr. Tsai showed up, joined the conversation and told us that if we were not happy about the wait, we were free to leave. She also indicated that it was not good that we started off in a bad way in case she might need to operate me. I told her that we are not leaving after we waited for over four hours. She should have given us that option FOUR HOURS AND A HALF ago!. So she took us to another room, asked me the same questions that were asked by the nurse and her assistant. It was obvious that she had not read the test result. I reminded her of the reason why I was referred to her and that I would appreciate it if she could explain to me what the test result means... . She read the report and told me that I don't need an operation. I was glad to hear the good news. So I asked her what I needed to do to alleviate my symptoms.. She told me to strengthen the my neck muscles. I asked what specific things should I do because it's painful when I do even the stretching and I can't lift weights. Her response was basically for me to endure the pain until my neck is strengthened and hurts no more . As to specific strengthening exercises/activities, she said "google it". That's the expert advice I got after waiting for 4 and a half hours.... Terrible .....I told her that my husband and I were so excited to see her because her profile online indicates that she is the best kept secret of Ottawa, she is a multi-awardee and one of the most influential women in Canada. But we were so disappointed. Her client service sucks... total disrespect and inconsiderate of her patient's time, she showed no sympathy and didn't even bother to apologize for the long wait. Never in my life had I experience something like this...I know there are circumstances that are not within the Dr's control, but they should put in place a standard office procedure to handle these situations and comms strategy to ensure that patients are properly attended to. Dr Tsai, you maybe are one of the most intelligent and expert neuro surgeon here in Canada, but you truly lack the social and people skills that great doctors must possess. Do yourself a favour and heed the advice of my fellow reviewers. You are young and full of promise. You still have ample time to build a respectful reputation that will make you, your patients and Canada very proud of you.
After learning that I had 2 disks in my neck that ruptured and were compressing my spinal cord, I met with Dr. Tsai to review my options. She clearly explained my options and the pros and cons of each. After a successful surgery and recovery, I had nothing but positive experiences in my appointments with Dr. Tsai. I have always found her to be pleasant, funny and very professional. As an adult, I understood the gravity of my condition and greatly appreciated her upfront nature. I will always be grateful for her abilities as a doctor and as a human being.
A MRI showed I had a severe herniated disk between the L4 & L5 vertebra which caused numbness and pain in my right leg for a year. After meeting with Dr Tsai, she indicated that a surgery would yield a 80% chance of improvement, 15% chance of no no improvement and 5% chance of my leg pain being worse. With those odds I took the decision to have the surgery on May 18th 2016, two weeks after I met with Dr Tsai. After the surgery, I had no more pain in my right leg and feel great 4 days later. We are truly fortunate to have Dr Tsai in Ottawa. Nobody should spend more than three months with a physiotherapist or chiropractor to ease leg pain related to herniated disk. For those who thinks she lacks social skills, she just does not want to put pressure on you. She gives you the odds of success and in the end, it is your decision. I think she is an amazing surgeon and person.
I was referred to Dr. Tsai by my family physician as I required cervical spine surgery on the C-5. Of course I waited a couple of months for an appointment but once she explained the reason for the delay, everything was put in perspective. I was never treated so well by herself, (Carol Ann is the best) and her surgical team. I've never been in the OR that I met my surgical team and they explained their functions. I woke up with no pain, not even at the incision site. I was truly blessed that my physician recommended Dr. Tsai and appreciate her greatly. The final say to have this surgery was mine and mine alone; she provided the guidance that I needed to make this decision. Yes, you could be waiting a few hours the day of your appointment but one has to remember you are in a hospital, if she is needed elsewhere, that's where she needs to be because if it was YOU that needed her, you would want her ASAP. I only have extremely high regards for her and her staff. So proud to have her as my doctor. I thank her in my prayers every day.
Dr Tsai is an absolute asset to the Ottawa hospital. She performed a lumbar lacemectomy and decompression on my back on May 22 2015. She did fantastic job and I consider myself priveledged to have had her as my surgeon. I woke up from my surgery with absolutely no pain left in either of my legs or back and continue to be pain free. This was like a miracle to me as I have suffered from 2003 with constant pain and side effect from lyrica and cymbolta and tylonol4 with minimal relief Dr Tsai has given me back my life that I had practically given up on ever seeing again. She is a true angel among men and I owe her unwavering gratitude. I have seen comments about her personality. I have to say they are unfounded by myself and my wife. We liked her. She was straight forward to the point, answered every question asked of her and was not pushy on anything. She is a true credit to the Ottawa hospital and I have nothing but praise for her. Thank you from the bottom of my heart Dr Tsai. You are simply amazing
I have nothing but good things to say about Dr. Tsai and her staff. She performed back surgery on me last week and I am already feeling better than I have in the past few years. Everyone including the admin staff ( Thanks Carol Ann) were outstanding.
I had the good fortune to have Dr Tsai do my back surgery. She explained what the problem was and what I could expect from the surgery. She called my husband immediately after the surgery to let him know that I was doing well. Yes, I had to wait to see her and for the surgery but she gave me my life back. You could not ask for a better doctor!
Undoubtedly an intelligent individual, but very limited interpersonal skills. Not a great experience for someone nervous about being there in the first place. I left confused and frustrated. I suggest bringing a list of questions and a very specific list/journal with pain symptoms.
Dr. Eve Chung Tsai's Credentials
Accepting New Patients
Areas of Expertise
Awards & Recognitions
Publications & Research
Insurance accepted by this Doctor
Top Hospitals in Ottawa, ON
Top Urgent Care Centers in Ottawa, ON
Find a Doctor by Specialty
- Ear Nose and Throat (ENT) Doctor
- Emergency Room Doctor
- Endodontist (root canal)
- Family Doctor / G.P.
- Gynecologist (OBGYN)
- Infectious Disease Specialist
- Internist / Geriatrician
- Massage Therapist (registered or licensed)
- View all Specialties >
#1 of 27
#2 of 27
#3 of 27
#4 of 27
#5 of 27