Ratings for Dr. John S. Shiau

I am so grateful for having met Dr. Shiau. He thoroughly went over my questions multiple times when I did not understand. The spine models also helped me better understand my condition. His appointment staff and Pa's were a delight to speak with. I have recommended Dr. Shiau to several of my family members.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2016

I'm so glad I found Dr. Shiau. My primary care Dr had initially referred me to an orthopedic spine surgeon at a big institution in NYC. I just wasn't comfortable with the way the office managed my case so I decided to go for a second opinion. My physical therapist recommended Dr. Shiau, and I'm so glad he did. His office staff was prompt and polite. Although he is out of network with my insurance plan, I've paid much more at other specialty consults. His PA was lovely, thoroughly went through my history and reviewed all of my films with me. When Dr. Shiau was introduced in, he was well spoken, well poised and very explanative in regards to the surgery I needed. I am now 6 months since minimally invasive lumbar surgery and thankful everyday. If I'd gone with my first opinion I would have had a fusion surgery and probably still be recovering. I have recommended many friends and colleagues to Dr. Shiau and all have agreed that he is wonderful.

flag | Submitted November 12, 2014

I need surgery. I've been to several top neurosurgeons. Dr. Shiau is the only one that is recommending a cervical corpectomy. I would consider having this done if he would explain to me why this would be the best procedure. I can't get the answers I need from him. He said he would answer my questions when I came back, but instead, he sent his P.A. in to talk to me. Hey, Dr. Shiau, it's my neck and my body, so I want to know why you want to do such an invasive procedure when everyone else wants to do a simple anterior discectomy with fusion. Talk to me. Please show me the courtesy that you extended to some of your other patients. As a human being, I am naturally afraid of anyone opening up my spine, and putting me out of commission for a long time, maybe for the rest of my life. Talk to me , please!

flag | Submitted October 11, 2014

I paid out of pocket. I needed a minimally invasive surgeon who was experienced. I had seen a lot of surgeons who said they did minimally invasive surgery and wouldn't even consider it for me. Not only did Dr. Shiau do my surgery minimally invasive he did it ambulatory. I went home in 6 hours.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2013

Dr Shiau saved my life! The cartilage between my C5/C6 was shattered and there was no trauma (go figure) most MD's discounted my pain, prescribed me pain pills to humor me (they did not work). Dr Shiau, did a very thorough examination asked me several questions and listened to me. He scheduled an MRI immediately and it was clear that I needed a disc replacement. I was very nervous about the procedure, googled it etc... Dr Shiau's confidence and his easy, lay-back mannerism made the whole process enjoyable. My husband was particularly impressed with his consult after the surgerys,whe I was still I the recovery room. He said DrS was like talking to a friend - no pretense and a good since of humor. Overall I would Highly reccomed him. My recovery was easy and today (6 months after the disc replacement ) I completely forgot that I ever had an issue.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2013

Dr.Shiau removed a swannoma tumor from my spine 8 months ago with minimally invasive surgery. I am totally cured and recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2013

I had a great experience with Dr. Shiau. For years I have suffered from back and leg pain. I had been told by multiple Manhattan neurosurgeons and orthopedists that I needed fusion surgery. I was very fearful to undergo such a big operation. Dr. Shiau spent more time with me during my office visits than all of the other docs combined!! He answered all of my questions and never made me feel I was wasting his valuable time. In addition, I ultimately chose Dr. Shiau because he was able to perform my fusion surgery through a minimally invasive approach that none of my Manhattan doctors could offer! My recovery time was greatly reduced and I am so happy I ultimately chose Dr. Shiau. i have since referred two of my friends to Dr. Shiau. Be prepared to wait at his office though. It's worth it!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2013

I could not help but laugh and write this after reading the last comments. I doubt very much that Dr. Shiau would offer dinner in exchange for surgery. All I can say is that I was injured in a car accident and I went to a surgeon in Manhattan. When I did not get better, my surgeon refused to see me after my no fault insurance ran out. I lost my job and all I had was medicaid which no one would take. Dr. Shiau was willing to see me and operated on me for 6 hours to fix what was done before. I also waited quite a while to see him but to me it was well worth it.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2013

WORSE Doctor ever!! he left me crippled!! 2 surgeries and an apology!! he said to let him operate again and if its still wrong he will take me to a nice dinner!! this Dr is Insurance hungry and his staff is just as horrible and rude!! also patients after surgery get no courtesy waited 2 hours to get in!!

flag | Submitted July 24, 2013

With all surgery there are risks. I stayed with Dr. Shaiu because he seemed very confident. 4 surgeries and I was offered an apology. I feel I was not well informed, my treatment was based on insurance, not what was best for me. It is not about blame, but I trusted his confidence and feel let down. Wait times are long.

flag | Submitted March 18, 2013

Dr. John S. Shiau's Credentials

• University Of Michigan Medical School (Grad. 1986)