Ratings for Dr. Mary K. Barker

I love Mary Barker! She's been my doctor for 20+ years and has helped me deal with several unusual medical situations. She never gave up trying options when nothing was working..., she's easy going, fun and totally non-judgmental... when she's running a little behind I never mind because I love that she never rushes her appointments. She will stay and answer questions or check on things until the patient is done, not when she's supposed to be done. Yet, she never runs significantly late.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2013

Dr. Barker is really bad. First they forced to schedule something more than 6 months out, then when the appointment time was up, she cancelled it. I had to take a day off from work for the appointment, and she cancelled it, really unprofessional.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2013

Dr. Barker is a thoughtful, intelligent, and thorough practitioner. I have seen her for many years and always find her ready to listen and thorough in her examinations. I feel very fortunate to have such a personable, friendly, and caring doctor on my team and would recommend her as a PCP without hesitation. We need more doctors like her.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2010

trouble with getting referrals for tests processed, prescriptions called in, etc. Bad Communication via both phone & web.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2010

I have been seeing Dr. Mary Barker for many years. I find her extremely attentive and very knowledgeable. She takes the time to listen, and if there is something she is unsure of she does the research or referral. Doctors are not Gods - they don't have all the answers all of the time. Dr. Barker caught my uterine cancer in the early stages and gave me an excellent referral. Patients need to advocate for themselves a bit more. A good Dr. won't be offended by a request for a second opinion. I have had other serious health issues and Dr. Barker has never hesitated to give me a referral to a Dr. in a different area of expertise. I think Dr. Barker is excellent at what she does - General / Family Medicine. I haven't, and wouldn't hesitate recommending Dr. Mary Barker.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2009

Saw Dr. Barker for about 4 years during which time she noted an enlarged thyroid but after initial testing did nothing about it. Was refered to an ENT physician for a hearing evaluation 4 weeks after annual physical during which she palpated my thyroid and determined no change. He immediately picked up the enlargement and referred me out for further testing which indicated the presence of CANCER. Surgery to remove the cancerous thyroid confirmed diagnosis. Following initial diagnosis, Barker called to apologize for "slipping up". Harvard Vanguard did nothing about situation. She's still practicing. BEWARE! Be very aware.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2008

Dr. Mary K. Barker's Credentials

• Medical College Of Virginia Commonwealth University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1992)

UPMC