Ratings for Dr. Max Van Gilder

My newborn has had several visits with Dr. Van Gilder, and I can see us staying with him for her whole childhood. He brings a real calm to the room, and his expertise is clear. A comment below claims he gave a 'lecture' about vaccinations. Well we asked him about vaccinations as well and found his response to be incredibly informative and thorough. I recommend him highly!

flag | Submitted April 16, 2015

Van Gilder is unprofessional (making snide remarks about another practice) and unyieldingly conservative in his treatment. My daughter has been seeing someone in his network with no issues for a decade and I hope to never have him sub-in again.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2014

My children have been seeing Dr. Van Gilder for the past 22 years, despite the fact that our family moved to New Jersey 16 years ago, and he continues to be their primary care physician despite their current ages of 20 and 22. I am extremely particular about doctors and Dr. Van Gilder is the best, most knowledgeable, and most willing to explain his thinking to me and include my input in his calculations, doctor that I have found practicing in any speciality. On more than one occasion he's been able to correctly diagnose and resolve complicated situations presenting unusual symptoms when other pediatricians have not been able to help (the reason we continued seeing him despite the distance after we'd moved to NJ). I've wished countless times over the years that he could treat adults as well as children!

flag | Submitted October 10, 2014

The practice is disorganized and poorly run. They routinely fail to fill out and return basic forms, the doctors are usually 45-60 minutes late for appointments. Some of the junior physicians are energetic and helpful; however, Van Gilder is not, he is rude to parents and has a terrible bedside manner with children. Visits are interrupted with constant phone calls from his staff. Frankly, he should retire.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2013

This is a fine practice if you are not looking for anything special. They are terrible for children with any special needs (when I asked Dr. Van Gilder if he could recommend a developmental psychologist, he looked at me like he had never heard of the specialty). He is arrogant and unfriendly to children, impatient with adults. Other doctors are better but do not seem too experienced for more complicated issues. The practice is not well-connected to specialists, generally. The staff and some of the doctors spend all their time looking at the computer, with their back to the patient.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2012

My son, then 12 months, saw Dr. Van Gilder because his regular ped was booked. I found him to be arrogant and dismissive of my concerns and questions. I had heard good things about him and was pretty surprised but, after talking to others, I think that he only responds well to patients/parents that do not question his authority. I wanted to delay my sons vaccination schedule (vaccinate, but spread them out). The second I asked him to explain his rationale for giving my son five shots in one day, he jumped down my throat with a lecture. Also, his bedside manner with my son was less than ideal - he didn't even take any time to get my son adjusted to him, the room, etc. before starting the exam (usually peds play, joke, etc. for a minute or two to relax the kids). By the time we left, my son had burst blood vessels in his eyes from crying so hard!

flag | Submitted August 10, 2008

He's the best Upper West Side pediatrician since the late Sam Stone. [We'v been to both]

flag | Submitted June 29, 2008

Dr. Max Van Gilder's Credentials

• Tulane Univ Sch Of Med, New Orleans La 70112 (Grad. 1971)