Ratings for Dr. Edward M. Messing

Dr. Messing in a highly competent physician. Look at the list of research articles he's published. They can be found with his bio on the University of Rochester's website. The man is an expert in his field of study. When I was diagnosed with bladder cancer, I went to see him for a second opinion. I was able to see him on a Saturday. He was the only urologist working at Strong Memorial that day, and indication of his dedication. I had a page and a half of type written questions. He took the time to answer every one of them until I understood. I found him very straight forward and concerned for my health.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2011

Let's cut to the chase. Dr. Messing saved my husband's life. He had kidney cancer. The operation was difficult -- took 5 hours. Husband had no complications from the operation or thereafter. Dr. Messing is a bit terse, but who cares if he touchy feely as long as he does his job well, and he did. He was highly recommended by 2 other physicians. He is one of the best.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2010

I have seen Dr. Messing for several years, both for kidney cancer and for prostate surgery, and there is no doubt that he saved my life, finding the cancer that other doctors could not see although they were looking at the same films. He is probably the most competent professional I have ever met. He did an excellent job communicating to me the risks and options in my situations. Further, an extended family member went to him with a prior diagnosis of cancer, and Dr. Messing proved that diagnosis incorrect... Others will say he is rude, and I understand why they feel this way. In routine matters, he is terse, and I personally have heard him express vehement disapproval at hospital officials, health professionals, and even a patient -- but, in each case, it appeared to me that the other person had not done what they needed to do; in short, he has little patience with incompetence. However, if you have or suspect you have a serious disease, this is the doctor you want on your side.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2009

I have seen Dr Messing since 2006. I went to see him for cysts on bladder. No cancer, thank God. He first tryed to surgical remove them. They grew back. Then he tryed to burn them. They grew back. He said the only way to stop the bleeding was to have my bladder removed. Stupid me I didnt get a second oppinon. Then came the obstructions, 1. the tube looked like a boomarang on left side, i think he didnt cut short enough. 2. Kidney entirely blocked on left side. Went in for tubes and more tubes and stents and more stents that didnt work to unblock. Got hernia around stoma. He said wait till i get your kidney repaired before he does anything with that. Oh yea he did a complete hysterectomy while he did bladder. Didnt dicuss that with me. I can go on and on but i want to talk about his bedside matters.... you go to ask him a question and he walks out the door. He put his finger deep in my stoma hole and i cryed he told me to shut up. Sry ran out of space.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2009

Dr. Messing removed my 89-year-old Grandmother's bladder in January, 2008. He was wonderful with her - completely respectful of her, answered our constant barrage of questions and never left the room until we were comfortable we understood, not only her condition, but the pros and cons of our eventual course of action. His staff were very helpful and bent over backwards to make sure my Grandmother was well taken care of. I would recommend anyone to this fine physician. Keep up the excellent work, Dr. Messing!

flag | Submitted January 5, 2009

This guy is just a totally rude! I have never been treated so poorly by any professional in my life. His bedside manner is terrible and he is heartless. You would think that when dealing with patients with cancer he would be a little more compassionate but no, not him. He has the suck it up and stop feeling sorry for yourself attitude. If you have any other option, go with it... Take it from me. Unless that is you like to be treated like crap and you like to wait for hours in his waiting room. He has been rude to me and my family. He doesnt like questions and how can you understand what's going on with your health if you cant ask your Dr. questions. I hope this guy gets a chance to read this himself some time and maybe he will realize how mean he is. What comes around goes around & I hope he gets his some day.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2008

Dr Messing has been Messing me up for 2 years!!!!

flag | Submitted June 28, 2008

Dr. Edward M. Messing's Credentials

• New York University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1972)