Ratings for Dr. Carolyn Smith-Pelletier

I am sad to hear any negative comment and wish I could see my Dr. today. She has retired from our Fergus CMHC. I am truly at a loss without her. I need you. Dunford

flag | Submitted August 11, 2017

Carolyn Smith-Pelletier is a danger to her patients and should not be allowed to practice psychotherapy. She advertised herself to me as a psychiatrist and only admitted that she wasn't when I asked about her specific education, at which point she explained that there's no law against claiming to be a psychiatrist if you have a medical doctorate. I came to her seeking therapy for severe depression, and she asked me the same questions multiple times (she was reading from a checklist on her clipboard—not basing her inferences on training) while disregarding my answers, writing down her own which were incongruous with what I had told her. She prescribed medications that had been labelled dangerous for patients like myself and violated doctor-patient confidentiality on two separate occasions. She misdiagnosed me, made false accusations of criminal activity which both damaged my reputation and ruined my career, and encouraged my family to segregate and discard me. This woman is dangerous, and if you have any say in your care then do not allow any involvement by her. She is a destroyer of families!

flag | Submitted February 1, 2017

She never asks how I'm feeling/symptoms, just Google medications and types away at her computer trying to figure out the next cocktail of medication to put me on (at one point she tried to get me on 5). Even after having severe intolerance to many of the meds. She never remembers anything about my situation or ongoing illness, and asks me every time what my prescriptions are and who prescribes them(HER!). I feel like im a new patient every time I'm there. She's always making invalidated assumptions about why I'm in the state I'm in. She's barely ever on time for her appointments (and for someone with agoraphobia and severe anxiety, sitting waiting an hour past appt times is NOT helpful). The staff are rude, you can hear them openly talking about patients (full names) where anyone can hear it. I actually dread my appointments with her and have had to start bringing in my therapist for support during appointments. It seems it's the only way she'll actually listen. She openly said she should be retired and I should be happy I even got in to see her as "fast" as I did. Like she's doing the community a favour, and that if I had a problem with the state of the mental health care system to go talk to the MPP because it's not her problem. Absolute joke.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2015

She's a wonderful, knowledgeable, caring Dr. Genuinely cares about my health

flag | Submitted October 29, 2014

Very erratic and also confrontive in an unhealthy manner. Retraumatized badly by her method of communication. Had to leave after 2 appointments.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2014

Dr. Smith-P is a fantastic physician. There seems to be quite a few administrative issues with Trellis/CMHA and I have found this rather frustrating. But the doctor herself is a genuinely empathetic, reasonable and intelligent woman.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2013

I respect her. She is brilliant and was able to explain both technically and in layman terms. She listened to me and her prescription for my son likely saved his life.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2013

This doctor was rude, argumentative and rolled her eyes at me many times. I usually walked out of her office more depressed than when I went in. I was thankful for her help with my medications and such but she has no bedside manner. I was happy when I finally got another doctor and did not have to deal with her any longer.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2012

She is better then no doctor but there is room for improvement in her treatment. I suffered from mental illness, and she was able to correctly diagnose the mental illness that I suffered from. However, she was unable to determine the root cause of a symptom I was suffering from, and she kept trying to change the medication, when in fact the issue I was having had nothing to do with mental illness. This was something that I suspected for a while, but when I proposed to test for this health issue, she suggested it was unnecessary. I finally had the test done and it came up positive. This took 5 years of living with the symptoms before I figured this out, and I wish she would have ordered the test right away. I would not suggest she provides the best service.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2012