Ratings for Dr. Lewis J. Fowlkes

Dr. Fowlkes has been my doctor for almost 20 years. When I miscarried he rearranged his entire surgical schedule so that he could be there to do my DNC. He called me multiple times over the next few weeks just to check on me. More recently he red flagged symptoms that I was having and sent me to a urologist who diagnosed a rare kidney condition requiring immediate surgery. During treatment I gained 50+ lbs and he was never rude to me about it as another individual has stated. He didn't give me a "pass" on it and talked with me about the importance of working to get the new weight off so that it didn't lead to more health problems. I have recommended him to several friends who have nothing but positive things to say about him.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

Dr. Fowlkes was my doctor for over 30 years. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1993, had hip replacement surgery,a wound from an injury that required seeing a specialist ,a wound vac and being OFF my feet for an extended time, which, especially with my terrible MS fatigue and inability to exercise helped lead to a weight gain of 40+ lbs. I'm 57 years old, with a very slow metabolism but was thin enough to work as a model off and on until 10 years ago when I suddenly started gaining weight (with NO change to my eating habits.) At my last 2 yearly exams with Dr. Fowlkes, instead of ordering thyroid tests or trying to find the reason for my weight gain, he was HORRIBLY RUDE and PATRONIZING, leaving the exam room after ending the conversation by making a dismissive action with his hand and loudly saying ,"Cut back on carbs." Incensed, I blocked his exit and told him that he HAD NO CLUE what my died consisted of and that he was rude and condescending. At prior appointments, he had told me"You're too pretty to be fat" and "There's no excuse for you to be fat." At a GYN appointment, when a woman is already naked and vulnerable ,for a doctor to say these things is flat out INEXCUSABLE! Both times, I left in tears. After putting off making my annual appointment with him for over 2 years because I KNEW how rude and insulting he would be, it dawned on me that I was putting my health at risk because of him and wondered how many women he'd treated the same and avoided him might have died from undetected cancer that might have been caught if they hadn't put off annual appointments because of his savage rudeness, so I finally decided to leave my doctor of 30+ years for one who didn't humiliate me. My advise to any woman who is struggling with 10 or more pounds of extra weight...DON'T GO TO DR. FOWLKES..unless you are o.k. with insulting and demeaning behavior. And..it's not just me he has been so rude to about weight. After his last comments left me in tears,2 different employees and another of his patients that I encountered while getting the required mamogram told me that he was known for his rude weight -shaming comments. I don't need or deserve that kind of treatment. It is not helpful or motivational. It's just a doctor being a demeaning ,cocky jerk!

flag | Submitted April 11, 2015

Dr Folkes is the rudest doctor I have ever seen. He yelled & screamed at me because I was overweight after going thru breast cancer treatments. I walked out of there and never went back!!!!!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted June 12, 2013

Dr. Fowlkes has a great personality and made me feel very comfortable every time I went. But the office staff sucks. Last time I went they told me to go back to the other waiting room b/c I was pregnant. But no one ever called my name. When I asked what was taking so long, about 30-45 minutes later, they acted like it was my fault b/c I was in the wrong waiting room b/c no one changed me from a GYN to an OB patient in the computer. They had an attitude with me! I ended up losing the baby on a trip out of town. No one from the office ever called me back to see why I never came for my next appointment. I can only assume that nobody cared.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2010

WONDERFUL, wonderful doctor. I've been seeing him for 10 years and he actually delivered me. Always remembers me, my mother, and sister who schedule our exams together and make a day of it. Always fast to get you back but take as much time as you need to make sure things are okay. Nurses are very helpful, Dr. Fowlkes really cares about his patients, and I cannot say enough good things about him and the staff.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2010

Dr. Fowlkes has been my Dr. for 25 years. He is a wonderful Dr. Kind, compassionate. Never in a hurry. Always remembers me and my sister who is his patient too. He has helped me through many health problems in the past. I would never change Dr.'s. He's the best!

flag | Submitted March 22, 2009

Dr. Fowlkes has been my doctor for 24 years. He is patient, kind, sympathetic as well as compassionate. The entire staff is always kind and courteous. Some of the staff have been there the entire time that I have so it feels like attending a family reunion instead of an exam.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2008

Dr. Lewis J. Fowlkes's Credentials

• Univ Of Al Sch Of Med, Birmingham Al 35294 (Grad. 1974)