Ratings for Dr. John H. Alexander

I had my original roux en y gastric bypass in 2000 done by John Alexander. I maintained my weight loss from 246-118 for many years. Concentrating on protein, veggies then carbs at all times. As of this year no matter what I ate I would sweat then it became life threatening and dangerous. Blood sugar issues, Gout, and severe weight gain to 205 lbs. In 1 years time. I saw Dr.A again in September. He explained the issue and what needed to be done. There were so many hoops to jump through, all at his financial gain of course endoscopy, which after, I lost my voice for 2 weeks due to my esophageal opening being streached and stomach acid bathing my vocal cords. Called the office, emailed due to no voice was told they would get something to help, NOTHING,AND I'M A SINGER. A stress test where my blood sugar dropped to 16 and I passed out, and yet we are waiting on your sleep study and psych eval for approval was all I heard as the black out and passout issues got worse. Finally the admitted me through "his ER" less than a month from my my revision appointment. Still no approval, but he did surgery 10/28. I got the call later that day miraculously without the sleep study and psych eval my surgery was approved. Upon discarge from the hospital I received nothing like the first time of what to eat and how much. I was so lost! I lost 30 pounds in a month. Now if I eat anything other than soft scrambled eggs, protein shakes, or mashed potatoes, EVERYTHING HURTS like I am having a heart attack and I puke. So, no post op care still I see. He made his money, he's a famous SURGEON, he has a beautiful hospital but still no nutritonal care or concern. Just wants me to come back but I NEVER see him. I see a nurse who tells me what she can eat many years later not a month after an emergency revision and almost dying. It hurts to eat, drink and what I am able to eat has me deadlocked at now 168 and feeling like I am failing. It's not me failing, it the surgeon not doing what he should which is care after the surgery is done. I'm highly disappointed that nothing has changed but what HE has gained. I'm $3000 poorer, alive and miserable in fear with NO guidance. I'm at odds because no one else will guide me with it being Dr. A's work. So almost 2 months out of revision surgery and as lost and more fearful as the day I walked in and just grateful to be alive, angry but grateful. What about a diatition a nutritional guide based on the many tubes of blood he took for nutritonal evaluation, so they said or was it to make more money? Help me get better and healthier, guide me.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2016

Unclean environment. Receptionists eating at their desk while using their cell phones. Three hour wait to see the doctor.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2014

Dr. Alexander was my doctor for many years before he went into Bariatric surgery. He is one of the most brilliant doctors that I have ever been to. He is very caring and takes a personal interest in his patients--at least he did back then before he got so busy! Highly recommend him!

flag | Submitted June 13, 2013

Dr.Alexander is an exemplary surgeon, however his nurse practitioner and assistant Physician are mediocre at best. I had bariatric revision surgery in Sept and Dr. Alexander did an amazing job. I would have liked to have spoken with him during my 3 day stay in the hospital but he never visited. Instead he sent an assistant doctor whom I had never met, and who simply repeated the post surgery instructions I already knew. He also kept me waiting all day to be released after assuring me I would go home in the morning. More aggravating than that was the 8 week follow up visit that frankly could have been handled over the phone by Dr. Alex's Nurse. After a 2 hour wait I walked out and complained to the front desk about the unprofessional treatment. Admittedly, they were apologetic and offered to reschedule. Keep in mind that Dr. Alexander is practically unavailable to his patients after surgery and you will wait much too long for your follow up appointment times.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2012

Very caring doctor. Always seems to be a long wait.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2008

Dr. John H. Alexander's Credentials

• State Med Inst Of Nangarhar, Fac Of Med, Jalalabad, Afghanistan (Grad. 1977)