Dr. Ernesto L. Collazo's Credentials
Accepting New Patients
Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients
Dr. Collazo specializes in cataract and refractive surgery as well as the treatment of Glaucoma, Macular Degeneration and Diabetic Retinopathy, among other conditions. After obtaining his medical degree from New York University School of Medicine, he completed his internship at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia in 1987. Following his internship, Dr. Collazo was selected to complete a research fellowship at Scheie Eye Institute/University of Pennsylvania - Dept. of Ophthalmology. His studies regarding the pathophysiology of cataracts and diabetic retinopathy have been published in the international ophthalmic literature. He completed his residency in ophthalmology at Hahnemann University Hospital in Philadelphia where, in 1993 he was elected chief resident and honored with the surgical resident of the year award. Dr. Collazo has been a guest lecturer for various medical and lay organizations in the United States, Puerto Rico and Europe including the Center for International Studies at The Eye Institute in Philadelphia. In 2011, and again in 2012 and 2013, Dr. Collazo was showcased by Newsweek Magazine as one of the leaders in ocular laser surgery in the United States. This prestigious recognition is awarded to physicians who are nationally recognized for their commitment to excellence in ocular surgery and their leadership in the use of advanced technology. Dr. Collazo has also been recognized on several occasions with the “Doctor´s Choice Award” - having been selected by his fellow physicians as one of the most outstanding ophthalmologist’s in Puerto Rico He is a diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology and a Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, as well as a member of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
- New York University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1986)
Areas of Expertise
- Cataract surgery
- Dry macular degeneration
- Wet macular degeneration
- Diabetic retinopathy
Awards & Recognitions
- Newsweek Showcase - 15 Leaders in Laser Eye Surgery 2011 & 2012
- Doctor's Choice Award - Buena Vida Magazine - Puerto Rico - 2003
Publications & Research
- Berger, J., Laties, A., Keates, E., Cranstoun, S., and Collazo. E. Automated Biometry of the Anterior Segment using Zeiss Scheimpflug Slitlamp Photography. Suppl. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 29: 788, 1988.
- Collazo, E., Sinclair, S., Riva, C., Isaacman, D., Grunwald, J., and Petrig, B. Relationship Between Nasal and Temporal Retinal Vessel Diameter and Blood Flow Per Unit Area. Suppl. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 30(3): 138, 1989.
- Sinclair, S. and Collazo, E., “Ocular Manifestations of Lupus”. National Lupus Foundation ed. 1988.
- Sinclair, S., Collazo, E., Isaacman, D., Petrig, B., Grunwald, J., and Riva, C., Retinal Vessel Diameter and Blood Flow vs. Retinal Area Perfused in Normal Adult Humans, Suppl. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 30(3): 138, 1989.
- Teather, T., Sinclair, S., and Collazo, E., Macular Capillary Flow Changes in Isometric vs. Aerobic Exercise. Suppl. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 31(4): 382, 1990
- Salmenson, B., Collazo, E., and Sinclair, S., The Effects of Intramuscular Epinephrine on the Blue Field Entoptic Phenomenon. Suppl. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 32(4): 866, 1991.
- Ocular Manifestations of Lupus, Chapter 11,Learning about Lupus, second edition, MainLine Desktop Publishing Co., 1997