Ratings for Dr. Penelope Isherwood

Very disappointed with Dr Penelope Isherwood for endometriosis treatment. After seeing a different doctor I believe Dr Penelope Isherwood should refer patients to other doctors who have greater knowledge and skills. I didn't have an appointment with a friendly and lovely woman that others speak of. I found her rude and dismissive and couldn't answer any of my questions or concerns.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2016

Love love love Dr Penny! She has delivered both of my babies as well as my d&c for miscarriage. She was always very caring and answered any questions we had. Can't recommend her enough!!

flag | Submitted April 19, 2016

What a lovely doctor doctor Isherwood is! I have heard from friends how experienced and helpful she is. When I went for my appointment I felt at ease and she spoke very softly and actually paid attentions to what I was asking. I would recommend her to anyone who needs a gynaecologist.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2016

I wish I had read the review about not going to this doctor if you have endo. My experience was awful. I found Dr Isherwood rude, not very helpful - she would not really answer any questions I had. I found the other staff to be lovely but wouldn't recommend this doctor to anyone with endo. Do some research and find a different doctor.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2015

After reading some of these reviews i was a bit apprehensive when i went to my first appointment with Dr Isherwood but i have to say my experience was fantastic. She was warm and funny, explained everything thoroughly and even went out of her way to provide me with extra reference material. The cost for each appointment was also a lot less than my previous doctor in sydney

flag | Submitted November 27, 2015

I am so lucky to have been referred to Dr Penny. She is a wonderful doctor, I would never choose anyone else. She removed my very painful fibroids and I feel 100% better following my surgery.

flag | Submitted November 5, 2015

She's fantastic. her knowledge is great amd she talks you through everything.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

If you have endometrosis FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR! Unfortunately I was referred to Dr Isherwood by my GP. I had an 8cm cyst and susspected endo and a large fibroid. From the beginning I found Dr Isherwood to be uninterested and not very helpful at all. I ended up having surgery to remove the cyst and clear up any endo. Dr Isherwood told me she could not remove the fibroid (end of conversation she wouldn't really explain why). At my post op appointment Dr Isherwood did not look at any of my incisions (even through one of my incisions wasn't healing and continually bleed which turned out had an infection) she did an ultersound and told me that the surgery was successful and everything was fine. After the surgery I had a constant dull pain on my left side that never went away, so I went back to Dr Isherwood again and was told everything was fine. After six months I finally decided enough was enough and went to a different doctor. He did an ultrasound and told that pretty much everything in there was stuck together and I had another cyst in exactly the same spot as I did 6 months ago (which was very shocking as twice Dr Isherwood told me everything was normal) so I had the same surgery again six months later. I asked the doctor to cut on the same scars as Dr Isherwood cut to try and save my stomach from four new scars, but the doctor told me he couldn't cut on two of them because they were completely in the wrong spot. I woke up from the second surgery feeling 100 times better then I did the first time (even through the second surgery was a lot more intense and I had more work done) My doctor removed the fibroid seeing as he said it was in a very easy spot. He removed the cyst and explained that the reason why it had grown again so quickly was because it wasn't completely removed during the first surgery. I once asked Dr Isherwood what stage my endo was and she told me it was mild but my new doctor explained that I had stage 4 and he was very shocked that it was as bad as it was for my age. The whole experience with Dr Isherwood was a nightmare! We paid her around $3000 in total and it was all for nothing. I am not usually one to complain but I'm hoping someone may read this and by doing so they will choose a different doctor and have a much better experience. Dr Gary Swift is fantastic and very professional.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2015

I've never written an online review for anything. It took a lot for me to write this; I am not just a whinger, I have real concerns. I had a terrible experience with Dr Isherwood. She would be fine if you wanted a scheduled c-section (she's a really great surgeon) or where happy to just go without questions or explanations. During my pregnancy, she never asked me how I was, brushed off symptoms (albeit normal, healthy pregnancy symptoms), ignored my husband and mother completely, never wanted to discuss my concerns or to discuss my wishes for labour/birth. I took a student midwife to one appointment as she needed some clinic hours and Penny berated and belittled her the entire visit. I strongly believe (through have no proof) that Penny performed a sly stretch and sweep at 38 weeks, as my internal was very long, painful and I bled heavily afterwards. During labour, Dr Isherwood performed rough, painful internal exams with stretching of my cervix every 2 hours. She argued with me (during contractions) for not dialating enough and told me 'we need to do something' then walked out. I ended up with having an emergency c-section, which Penny never explained to me the reasons for. She just said 'oh...it could be a malposition or it could be something else'. I still don't know exactly why it had to happen. I am not a complainer by nature and tried very hard to have a positive birth experience with Penny, but she was not the doctor for me - I needed a supportive, communicative and empathetic practitioner.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2015

I saw Dr Isherwood for the birth of my first child. She never really acknowledged my husband which I thought was rude. She recommended an induction as I was not showing signs of dilation and was overdue. The induction took place 5 days past the due date and it failed. I had two doses of the prostaglandin gel and was in pre-labour and labour for approx. 13 hrs. It concluded in an emergency C-section. At the 8 week appointment I was told everything was fine and not be afraid to return to normal activities. I started to notice something weird around my scar about 2 weeks after this as the numbing was beginning to wear off. Turns out to be an incisional hernia which now has to be repaired with more surgery...I will not be seeing this Dr again and would not recommend anyone to. Avoid an induction if there is no valid medical reason for it other than just being a couple of days overdue!

flag | Submitted November 17, 2014