Ratings for Dr. Penelope Isherwood

Penny delivered my twin boys at 37 weeks. She was the most amazing and supportive OB! Wouldn’t trust anyone else.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2018

I had a terrible experience with this doctor and am not usually one to complain. I found her to be rude, disinterested and lacking empathy. Penny recommended an induction at 36 weeks as she claimed the placenta was calcified. Then I went for an ultrasound and was informed by the sonographer that the placenta was fine with only a tiny bit of calcification which is normal at this stage of pregnancy. I refused the induction. At the next appointment, Penny again attempted to schedule an induction so I mentioned politely what the sonographer said. Penny appeared taken aback. Penny had said on quite a few occasions that I could choose the type of birth I wanted. However, when I asked questions (to gather information to make an informed choice about whether to induce to not) she provided limited information and appeared annoyed as though I was challenging her. Her view continued to be the birth should be induced without any valid medical reason therefore she kept pressuring me to go through with the induction. She even acknowledged that her recommendation was based only on her gut feeling. I believe she was trying to fit me into her schedule. On the morning of my induction, I went into early labour and attended an appointment. She advised she would like to check my dilation however then did a stretch and sweep. At no point was the stretch and sweep discussed with me before she did it. She also became hostile toward me during this appointment when I asked a question (and was already in labour). She stated angrily that she knows I'm not interested in her opinion (which wasn't true). Of course I was interested in her opinion as she is my OB. However, I also like to understand the decisions and be included in them which is why I ask questions. It appears as though Penny just wanted me to blindly follow her recommendation for the induction. If I could have I would have arranged another OB for the birth but it was too late at this time as I was already in labour. I really didn't want her in the delivery room. I went home and then returned to the hospital later that day. At this point I was very dilated therefore there was no time for pain relief. After pushing for about 20 mins, Penny decided to use instruments. I consented on the basis that I would receive pain relief prior to the forceps. She injected Pethidine and apparently used an anaesthetic however I don't believe she waited long enough for it to work as it was very painful when the forceps were used. Penny was also quite domineering / hostile in the delivery room and lacked compassion. Her approach was to bark orders. I definitely would not recommend Penny as this is the worst experience I have ever had with a doctor. I think her business thrives as she is female. I know other people have had positive experiences and maybe they got her on a good day or at a time when her schedule isn't so busy. I will never be back. I had a bad feeling during the initial appointments but chose to give her the benefit of the doubt. During the initial appointments she displayed zero interest in my views and no interest in having any conversation to build rapport. I found the staff to also be rude.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2018

Penny and her staff got me through a high risk pregnancy PLUS surgery on a cyst of my ovary (which ended up being cancer). Penny was genuinely upset on my behalf when she found the cancer and touched base with me during cancer treatments. Her staff are absolutely amazing, especiall Kieran, always a delight to talk to and she always tries to call if Penny is running late if a patient has gone into labor etc which is totally understandable considering her line of work! The anaesthesiologist she works withbis very thouough and professional and approachable. I had concerns with cyst surgery because of a past bad cyst surgery and the way i react to pain medication in ther past so i mentioned to penny i was apprehensive and the anaesthesiologist spent heaps of time with me beforehand to make sure my pain management was right for me plus checked on me after surgery. Penny has fielded so so so many questions from me and my husband plus dealt with me when i was in tears and an absolute wreck and she is super calm when things get stressful.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2018

I've been seeing Penny for 18 months during my IVF journey. She is so lovely and makes me feel like I'm on good hands. Been a long journey but so glad to have been recommended Penny!

flag | Submitted August 13, 2017

I have always feel comfortable when visiting Dr Isherwood. Every problem Ive had, shes always explained to me whats wrong and what the consequences will be. She is one of the best on the GC for a reason!

flag | Submitted July 3, 2017

Please do not see Penelope if you have endometriosis. She told me it was maybe in my head, had zero compassion or sympathy for me and did not stop or ask if I was ok when I told her an internal ultrasound was painful. Definitely the worst gynaecologist I've ever been to.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2017

Dr. Penny has an amazing repoir with her patients. I found her to be warm, caring and genuinely interested in one's concerns.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2016

Doctor has delivered three of my babies. She is amazing!!!

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

When dealing with a challenging situation Dr Isherwood lacked empathy. She made things worse with her lack of caring. We will never be back.

flag | Submitted November 15, 2016

I was supposed to see this Dr. when pregnant with my second son but her staff said she didn't have the time and passed me onto her practice partner. They did not tell me this until we arrived for our appt! Strike number one! On one occassion when my Dr. was away she saw me for an appt and was rude and disrespectful to my husband and totally dismissed our questions. It felt like she just couldn't get rid of us quick enough! Strike two! To this day I will be eternally grateful that she didn't end up my doctor.... my son ended up coming 6 wks early and I was haemorraging, on the verge of dying and my doctor (her practice partner) rang and asked for her urgent assistance. She refused! Her response was she wasn't interested in helping out. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Thankfully my doctor had the nouse to contact an elderly Obs/Gynae who was still occasionally practicing who came in to assist and as they were scrubbing for the second time to do a hysterectomy, they discussed other possible options so I could maybe have further children. I didn't have the radical surgery as the other methods my Doctor had employed began working. But I know that if I had've been Penny's patient I would not have lived to see my beautiful son grow. Shame on you!!! Disgraceful behaviour for any so called professional.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2016