Ratings for Dr. William Orrom

I came into emergency Friday evening with upper abdominal pain. I was admitted with the thought that my gall bladder had to be removed. After testing (ultrasound, scope and CT scan) showed no cause of the pain Because he could not find the cause of my abdominal pain he told me there was nothing wrong with me. When I insisted that something was wrong and asked for another doctor his reply was "no other doctor would want you on their case load because there is nothing wrong with you, I could order a psych consult." He was so rude I had to ask him to leave because I was sobbing. His nurse then came into the room and started harassing me with the same comments. I was so upset I took out my IV myself and left the hospital. Never in all my life have I felt so disrespected. I am now in the process of trying to come up with a plan to manage my care and I am hoping my GP can assist me.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

Dr. Orrum was very competent and experienced, I took my gallbladder out under a general anesthetic, and I came out of the whole thing with barely an awareness it had happened. Arthroscopically done, with four tiny incisions, a day afterward, not noticeable.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2017

I waited a very long time to see this doctor. Was very unclear about what procedures were being done; His assistant provided conflicting information over the phone. I ended up in another city at their emergency department. I attempted to communicate this to the assistant who laughed in the phone. Dr Orrom was very polite, seemed very knowledgable and professional, except in communicating important information, was very arrogant towards my GP. Severe infection resulted. Another Dr is correcting the drain.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2017

Just had colonoscopy at the San Penn performed by Dr Orrom. Great experience given what it was, team and Doctor pleasant professional and personable. Most impressed with ability to watch procedure and ask questions/get answers in the moment.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2016

I am a fellow physician and very recently had a colonoscopy by Dr Orrom. I found him to be very pleasant, calming, caring, and needless to say he is highly skilled in this area. It was definitely worth the long wait too.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2016

I am rather amazed at the last two comments since they don't seem to be referring to the doctor who did my rectal cancer surgery. I got all the info that I needed about the surgery both before and after. I did have some issue with the wound but the staff at VGH dealt with that and I then progressed will am in remission. If anything I found him distracted sometimes but put that down to scheduling issues and the need to do so much in a very specialized area.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2016

No compassion. No empathy. No explanations/advice. No sense of urgency for patient discomfort. Very upset . New patients for his specialist practice need more then 12 minutes. First time patients can be nervous about rectal issues. No notes, no real help and wait a year for testing. Wow

flag | Submitted December 31, 2015

Dr orrom has done 3 of my surgeries this year. He is not a doctor that believes in perventative antibiotics even for the instances that would need them. Each surgery I had my incision has has got infected and opened up and had to have more work done on it again. Even when I asked to be out on them for my last surgery he gave a firm no and it happened again. his response to it every time is 'sometimes these things just happen'. Now I have to spend months to heal a surgical wound that could have easily be prevented

flag | Submitted December 17, 2015

I went to dr. Orrom with a pilonideal cyst. 2 years and 3 surgeries later, my wound is still not healed. before the original surgery he assured me that healing would take five to seven weeks. At this point dr. Orrom has completely written me off as a patient, not that the follow up appointments that lasted five minutes and consisted of a shrug and the comment that "i have no idea what is wrong" were very helpful. Before my last appointment I did some research on my wound type and found a different type of surgery that had a much higher rate of success and a much faster rate of healing. When I asked him about that type of surgery he admitted to knowing about it, but stated that I was no longer a candidate for that type of surgery, due to the previous 2 surgeries changing the type of wound. I would say that Dr. Orrom did not preform this other type of surgery for my original surgery because it would take him longer. I would just like to say thanks for putting your schedule over my pain and suffering. If you have this surgeon, hope that you never have a complication due to his work. After he is done, he will not give you the time of day.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2015

Wonderful surgeon. Very knowledgable and highly regarded. I was referred to him by the ER for a rather unpleasant condotion. I was cautioned that he doesn't have the best bedside matter, but I found that not to be true. Dr. Orrom took the time to explain the plan A and plan B of my surgeries, and readily calmed my anxiety. I also found he had quite a quirky sense of humour. He is also very accessible for any pre and post op questions. I really cannot say enough great things about Dr. Orrom.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2014