Ratings for Dr. Laura Parise

She is an amazing Doctor. She has been an integral part of my path to good health. She is a part of "My Team". She knows her business. She is more dedicated than patients realize. She sees it all and cares. She also does not tolerate bs for long....that's a GOO'DONNELL thing.....

flag | Submitted April 13, 2017

Extremely knowledgable and insightful. Direct and upfront. A must when dealing with alcoholics and addicts, where dishonesty, lying, and denial are part of the disease. Truly a professional, one of the best I have ever dealt with.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2014

I went to treatment at the Chapman Center where Dr. Parise is the head doctor. My first meeting with her was very frustrating because she did not really listen to me and made a lot of assumptions. She also claimed that she believed I was lying about certain drugs I had or not had done, and it was not until the drug test that she gave a quick, non-concerned apology. I believe she has seen a lot of patients who have lied and yelled at her, but I am not one of those patients. I was at nice and helpful as I could be, and completely honest. She also tends to throw all patients into one group - not realizing the different degree of illnesses. One of the rudest things Dr. Parise did from my point of view is in regards to her professionalism during appointments. She constantly typed on her computer or texted on her phone while I was trying to talk to her. One time, she asked me a question, and during my response she picked up the phone without warning and began to have a conversation with the person over the phone, completely interrupting me and making me lose my train of thought. Another BIG "NO NO" was when she asked another patient (and a friend of mine) about me and drilled him for information about whether I was doing anything I shouldn't be doing. That was a big problem for me, because I felt she had no right to try to drill information out of another patient/my friend and not asking me directly. She also looked at me as if I was completely lying when I told her I was doing great and was very happy, months after I finished the 5 week program at Chapman. I also have concern about her prescribing practices. She prescribed me a lot more than she needed to during the detox, and fortunately I told my parents to hold my medication or I would have probably abused it. She is very quick to prescribe very addicting medication. She also prescribed me xanax for a few weeks when I did not have a benzodiazepine dependency. I do like how she is a no BS type of doctor, but she takes that too far and it makes her seem as if she has to empathy, sympathy, compassion or genuine interest in her patients. Others who claim she is rude and illogical would be correct, and she can definitely make you feel like you are being attacked, ridiculed or belittled. If she does not like you as an individual, she may try to send you into inpatient, so be polite to her. I genuinely believe that she cares about getting through the day and not about her patients. I heard her once say to her nurse that one of her patients "was a liar" and that years of working has made her not trust addicts. She also cuts you off when you try to talk. A lot of the negative aspects of the other reviews are correct. She is also very bad at keeping appointments on time, and I waited about 30 minutes after the scheduled time for the few appointments I had after completing the program. The reason I stayed in the Chapman program was because of Ina and Jennifer, two of her staff. Those two along with a few other staff members genuinely care about the patients and do whatever they can to help. These are the one's that the Chapman Center patients interact with. Parise just sees patients for 5 minutes during some days at the program and rarely seems to care about the checkups, instead seeming like she is doing the checkup just because she has to. If you are considering going to the Chapman Center for help, I highly recommend it. Just don't expect Parise to be the one curing your addiction, and to know before you go in that Parise can be rude and disrespectful. Take solace in knowing that Parise's staff is incredibly kind and helpful and they will get you through the rough time you are having in your life. Look past Parise's disrespect and make good decisions for your own well-being. Best of wishes to everyone. - T

flag | Submitted November 12, 2014

Dr Parise redefines the concept of hubris. She is unprofessional, uncaring, and illogical and yet she manages to sustain a significantly and completely inaccurately inflated idea of herself. She spent five minutes with my daughter before suggesting that we were wasting our time with outpatient therapy (after a 4-week residential program and 2-week PHP program successfully completed) and that I should simply purchase Narcan and hope for the best. She basically said my 17-year-old (18 next month) didn't belong in the adult substance abuse unit because her pressures for sobriety were external (i.e. to not have to be in residential again), unlike her adult patients (who are there voluntarily), but also didn't belong in the adolescent program because of her past heroin use. Are you kidding me???? She expressed a level of expectation for my daughter's likelihood of fatal OD that absolutely NO ONE else we have encountered in recovery has even remotely suggested and effectively said they couldn't help her. Give up, she basically said to me. She sent me into tears and then showed absolutely no empathy. I have never in my life been treated so indifferently by a medical professional. My daughter, who is really annoyed at this whole process, had to soothe me as I wept, so that tells you something. She (my daughter) did tell Dr. Parise that she was crazy, which I have to say, I couldn't disagree with even though I don't (and didn't) condone disrespect for adults. (Full disclosure: I have never once in my life felt compelled to rate a doctor publicly prior to this appointment) That said, the rest of the staff were outstanding.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2014

I'm not sure who these people are talking about. Dr Parise was, by far, the most knowledgeable, insightful & caring doctor (of any specialty) I have ever seen. From the reviews, you can surmise, that we all go to her because of long standing addictions & mental illness. While she did confront me when I was making excuses & lying to myself & her, she was professional and appropriate. I did have to wait sometimes to see her. But, over the years, I have recommended her to many of my addict friends. Those of us who were honest & listened have been sober for numerous years. She ROCKS!!! She truly saved many people I know. Those whining reviews are probably not sober or compliance with her treatment. Did I mention she ROCKS!!

flag | Submitted April 14, 2014

Dr. Parisi has a gruff interpersonal style and she makes rash conclusions and diagnoses without taking the time to make medically sound decisions. At first I appreciated her no BS approach and efficiency, but I soon learned it's downside. For example, she prescribed me a medicine that I was about to take and unfortunately didn't after I read the medical warnings because it said not to take it because of a condition I had- I condition she knew about. It was only when I reminded her that I had the condition that she realized her error and told me not to take it after all. Scary. She types on her computer while talking to you and is about the least empathetic physician I have ever met. She also caused significant strife in my family by telling family members things that weren't true, causing me to withdraw my authorization for her to talk with family members. I recommend looking elsewhere for help, especially since dealing with psychiatric issues really requires more than Dr. Parisi is willing to offer.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2014

I only had one appt with Dr Parise, and it was literally the worst experience I have ever had with a "therapist". And I have seen quite a few. Not only do I regret telling her what I did, I did not trust her professional opinion at all, and she judged me based off of a few questions. Her attitude was cold and she told me to talk to her nurse because she was "too old to convince people to get treatment"---I WAS ALREADY THERE! I didn't need convincing? If you are too old, consider retirement. Now, after one visit, she has talked with me old psychiatrist of 3 years and he will no longer see me after talking with her! He says I need to stick with her! I think we should get to choose who we seek care with! I am now without any care provider thanks to one visit to Mrs. Parise. I never should have seen her!

flag | Submitted February 6, 2014

I cannot really fill out your "rate chart" because though I received a psychiatric diagnosis and a bill that went into collections from Dr Laura Parise, plus Dr Parise's claim for nearly two years that I was her patient; I was never her patient. At the time my prognosis was "quadregic". This was determined by MRI's , especially of my neck., coupled with a broken back which had me wheelchair -bound. It was under these horrific conditions that I had to get a mortgage in order to hire an atty. Dr Parise made sure I had to get an atty because she was intractable in her claim that she was my doctor. Members of my family were quoting Dr Parise's diagnosis before I ever heard of her. From the time Dr Parise claimed I was in her office for her psychiatric diagnostic , January 27, 2004 to her statement on paper to my lawyer,November 5, 2005,that I was not her patient, that I had never made an appointment and that she had no records or documents on me, she destroyed my life..

flag | Submitted November 21, 2013

She didn't listen kept cutting me off. Was rude when I asked If she would help with my disability and said no she doesn't do that, Hum too much work for her? Kept waisting my time talking about meds described by internist that I felt wasn't here business. She shouldn't question my internist and it was none of her business. She was very unhelpful as far as explaining meds. and told me to go off 2 antidepressants cold turkey. Everyone knows you don't do that it can be very dangerous. She didn't know what Anemic meant.She argued with me when I told her it is an iron deficiency!!! Very uncompassionate. Made me feel like i was lying and wanted to drug test me!!! Because I occasionally take pain meds for a recent, unsucessful back surgery and in chronic pain. I told her I moke pot for back pain and i do have aproblem w it. She just wanted her money and me out the door. Saw Dr. David Lerner to discuss and he did not reccommend me just go off my meds! She was very cold and uncompassionate!!!

flag | Submitted November 3, 2011

She is very professional. Is a patient listener. She knows what she is doing and I would highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2011

Dr. Laura Parise's Credentials

• University Of Illinois At Chicago Health Science Center (Grad. 1994)

Healthnet