Ratings for Dr. Andreas K. Kraebber

What I wish I knew beforehand..Spoke with many friends, colleagues, experts before writing this to get different perspectives, but everyone was in agreement the "treatment" was highly flawed. -Once he gets comfortable with you he becomes controlling & intrusive. Feels entitled to interfere in your life in areas he has no special expertise or training. -Very arrogant Thinks his interpretations are always right, but they are just biased hunches with incomplete information. -If you are a dependent personality type, it will make you more dependent. My anxiety/stress levels increased -He offers 2 treatments (Pills and Transference based Psychoanalysis/ Psychotherapy). Neither helped heal me, & both are not supported by evidence.His pills are not only ineffective, but impossible to get off of . Transference based therapy has been debunked and is ignored in psychology departments since it was found to be ineffective years ago. - He encourages dependency (Good Daddy like figure), & it can be alluring to satiate your "Daddy Hunger". Doesnt heal you, but will feel good to have someone empathic and caring. - His techniques will not heal you of anxiety, depression, stress and/or improve your life in any major way. etc. So he will move into other areas of your life to keep the treatment going rather than saying that his techniques did not work. You can justify treatment for anyone, we all have some communication problems, relationship problems etc so before you know it you will have hired a very expensive friend/life coach, which he has no training in. -Dr.K can be very manipulative & grandiose, & I caught him in several lies. He can be very selfish, co-dependent (your fees) and impulsive -His fees are high, & he raises his fees. The treatment lasted too long, and he is overly fixated on ruminating and dwelling on "deep" emotions. -He can be seductive, and charming & tried to bully me into trying psychoanalysis. - Seems to have an agenda, and seems desperate to continue the treatment. . -He acted corruptly and committed several boundary violations. Was addicted to going every week, and grew attached to him, even though I was not helped. -His treatments cant help you, but they certainly can cause great harm. Pills are a very last resort, and his training is in transference based therapy which is debunked. Do yourself a favor and so some simple internet research before trying a therapy that isnt even taught anymore. Recommendations from what I learned after experience with Kraebber - Avoid transference based analysts and psychoanalysts in general. They are a strange cult of over intellectual quacks and hucksters. Avoid medication unless you're condition has been chronic. Pills are over-prescribed dont normally work, and take years , if at all, to get off of. - Read books by A Beck, and M Seligman,the founders of CBT and positive psychology. This is what the research shows is the most effective treatment. Sadly, some problems cannot be changed and will have to be managed. You're best chance of healing is by finding a competent CBT analyst , & just don't doing simple things like exercise,nutrition, sleep, nature, and good relationships.Maybe even leaving NYC.Maybe try another younger MD who is trained in more modern ways, and offers several treatments so you can trail and error what works. -Just because someone is on Park Av, is tall, charming & over-educated ,took the Hippocratic oath, and came recommended does not mean he has the techniques that can or will heal you. Your interests are not aligned. Dont get roped into a long treatment that doesnt work with false hope. My goal was to get better ASAP. His goal was to keep me in treatment as long as possible to earn a longer fee stream, and prey on my "Daddy Hunger".On meds you are a patient for life. DO research on their side effects, how few people are helped by them, what they work for, and how hard they are to get off of. - We all have wounds that need healing. This treatment wont heal them, but make them an even larger part of your life. Be your own advocate!

flag | Submitted September 13, 2018

Unfortunately, I found my treatment with Dr. Andreas Kraebber both ineffective and unethical. It increased rather than decreased my anxiety, and I became overly attached to him(which he encouraged). I certainly had transference issues with him being the all-knowing strong father that I never had. However, I found his approach overbearing as he promised me a great deal of healing, but the treatment did not work. Several times he attempted to increase my number of sessions per week, and I was left with the impression that he had a financial and personal focus, and was a bit desperate as there was no apparent benefit to me from more sessions. I was left very uncomfortable and guilty from his pressure. His style came across to me as sort of edgy and hubristic. He is certainly an intellectual guy, but I questioned his common sense as he did not appear to be very humble, and his overconfidence frightened me. He appeared very intense in his own sort of way, and he would signal, after he got comfortable enough with me, what he wanted me to do in several direct and in-direct ways. He would push me in ways I found self-serving, and he became overly involved in my life. After my termination, I met with another therapist (experienced leader in the field) to discuss my treatment with Dr.Kraebber, and she stated that he behaved very unethically on several occasions, as he seems not to be able to control his powerful impulses to control and serve his own interests and ego. She also believed that by him practicing both psychiatry and psychoanalysis he has spread himself too thin, and should have stuck to one specialty. He presents himself well and is well educated, which got my guard down a bit. Overall though, his overly large ego, impulse control issues, and questionable ethics prevented a successful outcome.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2018

I came into treatment not really trusting psychiatrists, and came out trusting them even less. Mr. Andreas Kraebber is quite gifted verbally, but he is not a very rational man. He was inconsistent with me, and not very helpful at all. My symptoms actually increased under his care, but he just denied that fact. I felt like he gaslighted me a bit. It turned out to be quite expensive, and a complete waste of time.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2016

Dr. Kraebber was referred to me by another Doctor but I found him arrogant, overly suggestive, and a bit strange. He also committed several boundary violations that I confirmed with another Doctor. His approach is too intellectual for me. I feel he lacks basic intuition so he uses intellectualization as a defense. He has sort of a seductive style, and I regret staying for more than just a few sessions.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2016

He comes across as very technically competent, but he very very opinionated. He provided me with too much advice, and told me what he thought I should do quite often based on his values, of course. I feel the treatment undermined many of my relationships, and I am worse off having been a patient. I am certainly partly to blame.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2014

Dr. Andreas K. Kraebber's Credentials

• Temple Univ Sch Of Med, Philadelphia Pa 19140 (Grad. 1996)

Healthnet