Ratings for Dr. Robert Zeman

My mother was his patient after she suddenly became a massive diabetic in early 1994. Since there had been no diabetes in our family on either side, I found it suspicious so I called Dr. Zeman on the phone and asked him if it not be wise to examine her pancreas before assigning her more insulin injections (she had gone from pills to injections within weeks). At that point he went berserk on me on the phone and screamed that "I am the doctor, not you", etc. He screamed so loud at me that I held the phone at arm's length. About three weeks later my mother turned yellow, was brought into emergency where they checked out her liver, and during the examination saw a large tumour on her pancreas. Diagnosis: inoperable cancer, and she was going to die. That's why she became a diabetic. I was actually right and the doctor was wrong. My mother died six weeks later. I complained to the hospital about the treatment she got, including Dr. Zeman's treatment. The hospital listened to me. I believe they took that into account regarding Dr. Zeman's future there, but now that I see he did just fine I can only assume that the doctors protected each other. Shame on them, shame St. Mike's, and shame on Dr. Zeman. At least he's retired and can't treat patients anymore. Incidentally, I thought a number of doctors at St. Mike's were not terribly intelligent and would suggest people avoid that place. And reading the "positive" assessments of Dr. Zeman: I suspect they were NOT exclusively written by patients.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2016

Dr. Zeman retired last summer. I have been his patient for over twenty years. He was the best. It will be difficult to find another doctor like him.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2015

This doctor spend with me 45 minutes on my first visit! Impressive , by any medical standards.Very thoughtful and polite.Good listener.Even do he did not recognize that I had celiac base hashimoto,I think he is a rare specialist who takes time to search for a cause.I am grateful for that and I am sending to Dr.Zeman big THANK YOU!

flag | Submitted March 21, 2014

Saw Dr. for hypothyroidism. Admin asst. told me I must still be pregnant while weighing me, though I was 5 mo postpartum. Insisted I still looked pregnant in the stomach when I said I wasn't. Dr. was over 1 hr late. I sat in his dirty office while he painstakingly filled out the OHIP billing form for 10 min, had a personal conversation on phone for another 5 min, and then proceeded to ask me questions from a checklist for another 2 min. Every time I asked him a question, he blinked as though there was a fly somewhere annoying him, and ignored me. Told me I had "cyst, nodule, something" and sent me for u/s without explanation, refusing to answer my questions and letting me think I had cancer. I called later to get an update or find out more information and he said, "...you have big lomp" and hung up on me. It was like dealing with a mumbling Czech Ent. It seems he should have retired. Don't see him if you like answers or human interaction or care about your own health.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2014

After a scary Emergency situation, where I found out that my thyroid was no longer working, Dr. Zeman fit me into his busy schedule. I believe he dedicated his lunch hour to see me, which I thought was very impressive. He is very professional, knowledgeable and I trust his care and suggestions. He truly listens and takes time to properly explain your condition. He has called me back personally, when I was not feeling well in between my visits to ensure the symptoms were properly monitored. Even if I wait a bit longer at times to see him, I know it is because he is very thorough with each patient and everyone gets the proper care they require.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2013

Usually experience 1- 1 1/2 hour wait times and by the time Dr. Zeman is ready to see me, the visit lasts on average about 5 minutes and I worry on taking any medical advice from someone who does not take the time to review my file or ask about any other medical conditions or issues I may be experiencing. I feel safer self managing my diabetes. On my last visit he told me that my blood pressure was high and the reason must be that I eat too much salt. On positive note, the receptionist is very nice.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2013

I have mixed feelings not to confident in his communication skills he might be good at what he does but he doesn't explain much and I can't read minds. The staff is a bit rude though bad first impression.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2012

I saw DrZeman for several health problems. He was kindly, and after weeks of blood tests, said I had some long named (he refused to spell or write it out for me, so can't remember) rare hereditary condition showing ridiculously high abnormal blood levels and that I'd continue to suffer hyper low immunity levels for the rest of my life. He gently said he had no way to treat me, but kept making follow-up appts. On one, I'll never know why, he suddenly turned mean and said "I can't help me so why do you keep coming back? Go away, find another doctor." I was referred to him. As a Dr, you'd think he'd have a little compassion and maybe refer me to a Dr who knew something of the syndrome he diagnosed me with. I continue being really ill all the time. His was crushingly disappointing.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2012

Dr. Zeman was the worst dr. I've ever been to. Not only did I wait over 1 hr each time I visited, but when I did get to see him he was unhelpful and rude. I couldn't hear him at all and he has zero helpful advice after explaining how many different methods of dieting I had tried. He was cold and inattentive to the point that he ordered blood tests when I clearly already had them in my file. His degrees are from the 70s and he had no empathy for the years of struggling I've had with my condition. I was so upset with his lack of compassion and guidance that I started crying in his office, to which he replied that I'm obviously a 'bed patient' and I should see another dr. I have never felt so mistreated by a health professional in my life. AVOID SEEING THIS DINOSAUR IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER OPTION. His methods are antiquated and he really needs to retire the mid 70s solutions to modern problems.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2012

The person below has NO idea how lucky (s)he is to have seen Dr Zeman! A patient of his since 1975, I have found him to be caring and extremely competent. On being told by an idiot that I might have breast cancer (I was in hospital for another procedure) I called his office in panic. He was at my bedside within minutes and told me the 'diagnosis' was nonsense. Yes, he mumbles and has a Czech accent, but it's his expertise I'm there for!

flag | Submitted January 5, 2012