Ratings for Dr. Derek Fewer

I did not know this site was available until now. In September, 1990, I was urged by a Winnipeg physician to go to St. Boniface Hospital with a suspected shunt blockage. The resident/intern took a skull x-ray, said my ventricles were too large, and booked me for a shunt revision. The next morning, Dr. Fewer came into my room with the resident/intern and said nicely that there was nothing wrong. When I mentioned the resident/intern's diagnosis, Dr. Fewer became very belligerent and left the room. I filed a complaint with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba. At the hearing, Dr. Fewer said that I was delirious, he had spent fifteen minutes with me, and he had explained my situation to me professionally. All three statements were blatant untruths. I decidedly was not delirious, he had taken two minutes at most, and he was very rude and unprofessional. I continued to have intermittent problems with the shunt until September, 1994 when it was revised by Dr. Hugh Barr in London, Ontario. The next seven years were the best I have ever had with a shunt. So Dr. Fewer's diagnosis was, in fact, not correct. I can understand neurosurgeons' reluctance to replace shunts because it means risky surgery and uncertain recovery. However, they should be honest about the risk and not belligerent when patients ask questions. Patients have the right to ask reasonable questions and are entitled to professional responses.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2015

Dr fewer saved my life back in 2006 he gave me a 2nd chance at life! So greatful

flag | Submitted January 30, 2014

I have had 2 spinal cord surgeries with Dr Fewer. He was extremely thourough, professional, and caring. Aftern both surgeries he would visit me in recovery for many days on his way home to see how I was doing. He was always very honest and straight forward. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2013

You will never find a kinder, more competent neurosurgeon anywhere. From brain surgeries to disc removal, his skill and compassion are second to none.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2013

Met with Dr Fewer on a number of occasions. I was scheduled to have the Gamma Knife procedure in late December of this year. I found Dr Fewer to be very professional and caring. He took the time to explain everything to me carefully and clearly and even reviewed previous imaging results with me. My wife and I could sense the passion this doctor had for his field of work and felt so comfortable and grateful that we had him performing this procedure. It will take some time for the Gamma Knife procedure to do what we hope it can do ....but we remain optimistic. Again we are so grateful for the excellent care and followup I have experienced from the Neurosurgery team at Health Sciences.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2012

Dr. Fewer performed my back surgery which was a 100% success (which is very uncommon) I was assessed, and had my surgery performed in less than 3 months (which would have been 2 months but I could not get the time away from work). His staff is awesome and explained everything well, and returned calls in an acceptable time frame.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2011

after having the pleasure of meeting Dr Fewer due to my wife having a brain tumour,our follow up with him was very dissapointing with his statement "if it ain't broke don't fix it " i think that he is too old to make informed decisions and when called he does not return calls to give explinations for his decisions he leaves people feeling helpless and depressed ,to my knowledge brain tumours are serious business and should be left to physicians that take their jobs seriously.very cavalier

flag | Submitted August 10, 2011

He was very rude due to the fact I was a smoker. However, he's an excellent neurosurgeon and I would highly recommend him, my back surgery was a success.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2010

One of the best doctor experiences I have ever had. Explained procedure, was very professional and personable. Highly recommend. Excellent staff. Excellent follow up.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2010

Dr. Fewer did a C1 decompression on me in July, bit disappointed my family did not see him before surgery, but all in all I am able to type this without pain and am almost finished my rehab and will be able to get back to work as a secretary within the next couple of weeks. THANKS!!!

flag | Submitted September 9, 2009