Ratings for Dr. Lewis A. Osofsky

It's is unfortunate that I have to give one star to Dr. Osofsky. He has been our pediatrician for over ten years. Kids were generally healthy, hence I don't have any stories to tell of what a great doctor he was simply "because he saved my child's life." However, they expelled my son from this practice when I turned down his office manager's, Carol Osofsky, recommendation to have my son vaccinated with Menacra against meningococcal bacteria. The final letter from her stated that "the trust between us has been broken." I can only speculate that the trust between the doctor's office and a pharmaceutical company or a distributor of Menacra must be more important to this office than respect for the parents' decision. Another plausible reason for such an outrageous step would be the office's concern about their vaccination statistics: may be they just cannot afford to have less than 100% vaccination rate, eh? I imagine they need to maintain their good standing with the pharma. I must note here this was the first and only time I refused vaccination for either of my kids. But it was enough for the doctor to expel our family from his practice!!!!! I am not involved in the anti-vaccination movement and believe that certain vaccines are necessary; hence, had my kids vaccinated against other illnesses. So, buyer beware when you choose this doc for your children. If your do choose this office for your kids, rest assured vaccination decisions WILL BE MADE FOR YOU. Here is how it happened... Trying to change my mind about Menacra shot, the office manager Carol Osofski talked to me in the office and made several "compelling arguments" all of which turned out untrue. I went home and checked them on-line. (e.g., shotsforschool.org/k-12 ). First, she stated that my son would not be able to go to middle school without having Menacra. The truth is that meningitis shots are not even on the required list. It is _recommended_ after 11, but not required. When I called her bluff, she persisted by stating that once a child goes to become a university student (in about 7 years! - how relevant is it at 11?), almost all UC schools make meningitis short a prerequisite condition for admission. That is not true either: they are required to inform those incoming students, who are going to live in their dorms, of the dangers of meningitis, to recommend they get vaccinated, and to have them sign a form acknowledging they have been informed. Later, she mailed me a letter painting a scary picture of pain and suffering a person goes through once contracted meningitis. Then the office called me a few days later and asked if I changed my mind. I thanked them for the letter and said that it helped me to form my educated opinion and my decision, as a parent, and that the answer was still a NO. Then we got a letter saying that the trust between the doctor and a patient has been broken and hence they will no longer see my son in their practice. I am still mystified what is the mental calculus of a person / nurse / doctor who lies about facts (as I described above) to your face. Do they not realize that in the age of Google almost any fact can be checked on the net? Such behavior shows the highest degree of arrogance and disdain for a patient, who are expected to take in any fodder a doctor gives them.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2016

Dr. Osofsky saw our new born daughter 28 year ago then our 18 year old son. Dr. Osofsky is a very caring Human Being. Has a heart and treats his patients as his children. Many time he's been available after hours and over the weekends and gave good advise, what to expect and clear instructions. There's at least one woman in his front office that is very dry! No emotions and almost robotic. Although I believe she means well and just has a lot to do. I honestly believe that since Dr. O is so unusual, that's why this one person in his front office does not look as good. Anyone looking for a new children's doctor; search no more! your child will be in good hands and will be cared for my Dr. O. and Oh; as far as the front office lady who does the billing; I'm sure she's nice too!

flag | Submitted June 10, 2013

Twenty years ago, when I was pregnant and working at Los Gatos Community Hospital, I polled the nurses and other docs to see who they would recommend--it was Osofsky hands down. As new parents, we were sometimes put off by the "offhand" way he treated us--as if our child were only one of hundreds and not the one in a million precious being he obviously was (ha!--new parents!) but the truth is he is one of the smartest and most intuitive physicians I've ever met--and now at nineteen, our son still goes in for periodic checkups when he is home from college. He is the best.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2011

This doctor's receptionist is really unpleasant, unfriendly and unhelpful when you call. The doctor, however, is knowledgeable, caring and has great flexible office hours. He is definitely NOT out to be your best friend - his manner can sometimes be gruff and off-hand and I can see that especially to a small child, he could be intimidating (he's well over 6 ft.) On the plus side, his nurses do have great follow-through, he responds almost immediately to after-hours calls and I feel he is genuinely caring - which is why we have stuck with him for years.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2009

Dr. O. is not out to be your best friend, but he is a great advocate for children. He is friendly, but not chummy. I find the appointments to be convenient and prompt. He recognized a really weird blood disorder in my newborn, and sent us up to Stanford with full instructions of how to navigate that system. (She's fine.) We've been seen on all days of the week, at all times of day. We've come in for ear infections, burns, bronchitis, pink eye, possible broken bones, preventative care, and more. (3 children) We've even called for advice while on vacation. The doctor is practical, reliable, and thorough.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2009

He is a great doctor. I had to page him at 3 am and he called back in just few minutes and told us what to do. He has Saturday morning appointments and in emergency will open his office for you. His wife is the nurse there with over 16 years of experience and 4! kids of their own. She will answer any questions you might have.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2008

Dr O is one of the most caring doctors I have ever met. He will do whatever he needs to do to help his patients.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2007

Dr is indifferent with children. Front staff has a lot to be desired in the area of customer service.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2007

Dr. Lewis A. Osofsky's Credentials

• A Einstein Coll Of Med Of Yeshiva Univ, Bronx Ny 10461 (Grad. 1981)

MSP/BC Med