Ratings for Dr. Michael R. Piazza

I had a bone spur in the back of my neck. Dr. Piazza did a minimally invasive posterior foraminotomy to remove the bone spur and free the pinched nerve. Because he did this kind of surgery, I did not have to have a fusion or disc replacement. He operated through a tiny incision which requires training and expertise. He was professional, competent and very skillful. The nerve was pinched for a long time, but it is recovering. I think he did an excellent job.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2017

The quality of treatment and outcome were acceptable, maybe as good as possible (hard to judge.) The communications quality was poor, both with the Dr. and with staff. Dr. Piazza's personal communications style is poor, and he gives the impression that the patient should stop asking questions and follow orders rather than participate in decision making. This may have rubbed off on staff, who also gave answers that turned out to be effective at ending the discussion but not necessarily accurate. Dr. seemed aware that we weren't communicating effectively, but didn't seem to feel it was his responsibility to fix that. He tended to answer a question about outcomes with a detailed technical description of the injury, spending so much time in doing so that he appeared offended when I had to re-state my questions. For instance, in response to a question on the likelyhood of a complication resulting in permanent loss of function, he spoke for about 10 minutes (uninterruptable) on the nature of the injury, nature of complications, description of the bones, what the bones do, etc. All kind of neat, but not what I asked. When asked again, he seemed exasperated at the time he was having to spend with me. I recommend he consider following a more effective communication technique -- if I take 1 minute to ask a question, he should restate the question back to me, confirm that's what I want to know, and then spend 1 minute to respond, then ask if that answered my question, etc. If he can't answer my question, he should tell me what related question he can answer, rather than just jumping into an answer for a pretty unrelated question.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2017

Dr. Piazza and his entire team are great. I was having severe neck pain due to an auto accident and with conservative treatment and the guidance of Dr. Piazza, I feel so much better. Dr. Piazza and his assistant, Ray took their time talking to me about my symptoms and showed me different exercises to help provide relief. I highly recommend seeing Dr. Piazza!

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016

I took my elderly mother today for a followup visit to Dr. Piazza. I felt like he didn't address my concerns and that my questions were answered in a very condescending way. He did not treat her with respect either in my opinion. I will do all I can to find a new doctor.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2016

I am a 77 year-old patient who recently received a total knee replacement performed by Dr. Piazza

flag | Submitted February 28, 2015

Front staff is good but not the friendliest. The dr nurse or whatever you call him is awesome. Dr piazza is straight forward and to the point. He tried 2 injections for my herniated disk and then told me surgery wasthr best option. I was scared and he explained to me that he was confident he could fix me up as long as I do what he told me for recovery. He did just that and I listened and did what he told me to do after and my back is like new. Just trust in him and do as he says.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2015

Staff is rude. Dr thinks he knows too much to bother explaining to patient. Find a more caring physician.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2014

Dr. Piazza's front office staff are unbelievable rude, unprofessional as soon as I walked in they ask for my copay in advance. I had 9:00am appointment. I waited till 12:30 in a small very cold room. from time to time I would ask when I am going to see the Doctor they replied he is running late. I felt very cold, thirsty, dizzy. I never felt so frustrated I ask to get my check back call a cab and went home. Don't put up with this ill treatment.

Submitted June 23, 2014

flag | Submitted November 11, 2013

I was referred to Dr. Piazza after a Lumbar MRI showed a lesion in the dura area adjacent to my spine. Needless to say I was a nervous wreck, yet I came to this appt. with my usual cheery, friendly demeanor. Dr. Piazza's front office staff and his Assistant were very unfriendly, unprofessional and downright cold. Dr. Piazza never showed any compassion as he told me that the lesion was actually a tumor. He went on and on about how it could be a cancerous tumor, a drop-down tumor from a cancer in a different area? What? I had no other symptoms!!! Never once did he mention the overwhelming possibility that it was a benign tumor. I was in such fear when I left that office. Never once did I feel any support. Thankfully he referred me to Dr. Vrionis, a Neurosurgeon at Moffitt. Right from the start Dr. Vrionis assured me that he was all but positive that the tumor was benign and it was. Compassionate, supportive experience with Dr. Vrionis, his staff and Moffitt. Horrible exp. w/ Dr. Piazza.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2013

Dr. Michael R. Piazza's Credentials

• Pa State Univ Coll Of Med, Hershey Pa 17033 (Grad. 1983)

Top Hospitals in Clearwater, FL