Ratings for Dr. Nanda Kumar

One star is too many. I went to Dr. Kumar for headaches and he didn't listen to anything I said and ignored the medical tests I brought him. He gave me some migraine pills for my headaches claiming they seemed similar to tension headaches (without explaining how or when to take them) and told me I was depressed. The next week my primary doctor diagnosed me with a brain tumor and was shocked an MRI was not ordered by Dr. Kumar. Apart from being inattentive, he left the doors open during my appointment and my sister, who was in the waiting room, said she heard all of my medical information and could hear everything they were saying to and about me. I left that appointment crying. I was completely disappointed in every aspect of that appointment. Please don't waste your time going here--even if it's the only place you can get an appointment. I lost 300 dollars that day but wasting my time and my hope was much worse. ZERO stars from me.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2017

I was medically retired from service in 2015. I met with Dr. Kumar one time and he was able to help manage my pain and symptoms better than others throughout my time in the service and after!

flag | Submitted May 9, 2017

Happy with services. Happy with treatment and testing done in office

flag | Submitted March 20, 2017

Saw me on a Saturday! Worked great with my schedule. Test done same day!

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017

Happy with visit. Did testing at first visit. Gave me printout of results. Sent details to my primary doctor. Very satisfied all around.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2017

Office staff in Manhattan was friendly. Office staff in JC, not completely rude, but not at all warm. Dr. Kumar is unacceptable, you don't have someone go get extensive testing to just poo poo the science and 'clinically' diagnose someone from taking three steps in the exam room. You don't inform the children of a parent with a hereditary disease to "come see me when you about 50, and I'll tell you if you have it. Nobody can do anything for you now." If you must see a neurologist in the Manhattan area, wait to see Dr. Radhi.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2017

I do not know about the reviews I read below, but staff was extremely helpful and courteous; medications dispensed from office were free samples to try before I filled a prescription, staff then spent time with insurance to get my prescription paid for. I do not think people should be allowed to post things that are not true. I understand people have to be comfortable with their physicians, and if you personally do not like someone then don't go to them. But don't post untrue things. This office DOES have a half price discount for self pay patients, and they accept all insurances! They also make sure tests are authorized before you incur the expense of a test. There's a lot to be said about a physician with a busy practice who has practiced in the same town for 30 years!

flag | Submitted March 22, 2016

The following is a review of my medical treatment received from Dr. Nanda Kumar at Manhattan Mercy Regional in Manhattan, KS in September. It has taken me 7 months to post this review but is something I should have done immediately after my interactions with Dr. Kumar. I can only hope that no one else has suffered from Dr. Kumar’s reckless incompetence. This review is lengthy, but to sum it up in a few words: do everything you can to avoid this neurologist, even if it means going outside of the Manhattan healthcare system. In September of last year, I was admitted to the hospital because I had sudden problems with my vision and speech. A CT scan in the emergency room was irregular and it was at that point I first encountered Dr. Kumar. In the emergency room Dr. Kumar stated that I had most likely had a stroke. This was surprising as I am only 31 years old and did not expect to have a stroke that young. I was then admitted to the hospital for further observation and testing for what we believed was a stroke. The next morning I underwent a MRI and spinal lumbar puncture. That afternoon Dr. Kumar told me that he had been mistaken and that I had not had a stroke, but that according to results from my MRI I instead had multiple sclerosis (MS). He said that this was a better diagnosis than a stroke for someone my age, and proceeded to take my family to the very public nursing station to show them my MRI and these supposed multiple lesions he was seeing. Although Dr. Kumar tried to convince my parents and husband there were multiple lesions on my MRI they couldn't see any others besides the one previously-identified by the CT scan, but assumed their inability to see the lesions resulted from being upset and/or not having the proper expertise. I was discharged from the hospital with the diagnosis of MS. Something seemed very wrong with this diagnosis and after reading reviews of Dr. Kumar (like this one) I was horrified and knew that I needed to immediately seek another medical opinion. My suspicions of Dr. Kumar's MS diagnosis proved correct, as 2 weeks after my diagnosis Dr. Kumar called me to let me know my spinal test came back negative for MS. He then proceeded to tell me that I may have one of a number of other autoimmune disorders, but at this point I was extremely skeptical of anything he had to say. After being seen by 2 other neurologists in Lawrence and Kansas City and undergoing a series of MRIs over a period of time, it was confirmed in December that I had a stroke and did not have MS or any other autoimmune disease (in fact according to the other neurologists my symptoms and test results were nothing like those for MS!). MS is a disease that is difficult to diagnose and should never be diagnosed from a single MRI alone. Dr. Kumar’s mis-diagnosis sent me down the wrong medical path during the crucial months after my stroke. Dr. Kumar even told me to continue taking birth control after I was discharged, which is absurd as it likely contributed to my stroke! Mercy Regional should be made aware that they have a doctor like this attending to patients in their hospital, as he is not fit to practice medicine there or anywhere else for that matter. He is careless, overconfident, and incompetent, and patients should seek out a different doctor at all costs to avoid problems of mis-diagnosis and improper treatment like I experienced.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2015

Dr Kumar is not helpful at all. He did not even print off my sleep study results when I had a follow up meeting about my sleep study. Very high office visit fee with no sliding scale for out of pocket patients. Frustrating to pay so much for him not even being prepared He makes jokes and does not care. Another office helped me with patient assistance for the expensive medication he prescribed me. Not he nor his staff were willing help me. I definitely do not recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2015

I was a patient of Dr Kumar almost 15 years ago when I was an undergraduate student at K-State. Money was tight and unfortunately I had an injury in my leg. I am an Orthopaedic Surgeon at the moment and have a very good idea as to what my condition was. It was some thing very obvious which definitely did not need a $950 test that I had to pay from my pocket. It was some thing temporary and 99.9% of the time resolves with time. He knew I was paying cash and still went ahead with the test. He is a THIEF in my opinion and knows how to play the system. Please stay away and go to the neurologists at KU in Kansas City. Unnecessary tests and money hungry doctor. I would never do this to my patients.

Submitted April 11, 2015

Dr. Nanda Kumar

Dr. Nanda Kumar's response
We offer a half price discount for self-pay patients. I feel it is inappropriate to judge anybody on their present abilities based on an experience from 15 years ago.

Submitted March 22, 2016

Dr. Nanda Kumar's Credentials

• New York Medical College (Grad. 1986)

Ameritas