Ratings for Dr. Drew Bethune

A lovely man; gentle bedside manner; great sense of humour. Finally, his surgery changed my life in a very positive way. I was sorry to hear he had left this career but others will greatly benefit from his knowledge in the field of lung cancer.

flag | Submitted October 11, 2017

An incredible surgeon, a wonderful gentleman with lots of compassion.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2016

I went to Dr. Bethune today with concerns about chest pain and shortness of breath. I was very active but my physical limitations have increased rapidly as I grew and my pectus excavatum worsened. Within 4 minutes of my being in Dr. Bethune's office and talking about his days playing basketball for Dalhousie he had determined that my excavatum was nothing to be concerned about and the pain and shortness of breath was all in my head. My family has a terrible history when it comes to the health of our hearts, pectus can limit heart function due to limited space.I raised this concern with Dr. Bethune and he responded that I must have "read that nonsense on the internet" and that "you can't trust what you read". Strange, I figured the Oxford Journal of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery and the American Heart Association were quite reliable sources. It'd be nice to have a doctor up to date on the area of medicine in which he practices, the "brand new" Nuss Procedure was developed in 1987!

flag | Submitted December 16, 2013

His receptionist is horrible. However, it's worth it because Dr. Bethune is amazing at what he does.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2013

Right now I am only commenting on his secretary. It would be nice if she would answer the phone from time to time and even better if she would return a person's phone call the same day, if possible, or the next day. Other surgeon's secretaries are just as busy but will answer the phone. This 'lady' will not give you a one word answer,that is required for the question asked, even if she leaves a voice message. So, phone tag it is!

flag | Submitted December 7, 2012

I went in for a rib deformity and possible pectus excavatum and he turned me down flat. Even though for 10 plus years, I've been having breathing, pain, and sleeping issues due to my concave sternum and depressed rips. I just wanted to be able to play sports again and resume a normal pain free life. After a huge struggle to findly see someone like him, I was treated to the most stupid thing I've ever heard. His ultimate words of wisdom were: " Suck it up, and tough it out." Genius. Pure genius. Currently, I have been tested for Marfans and I now know I'm positive, with a huge family history it. I've been so bad lately that I've had to contact doctors in Toronto! Can you believe it. My advice to anyone with a chronic and outside the box problem is to avoid Bethune like the plague.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2012

dr. bethune is a wonderful doc. very helpful and is raedy and willing to help when ever i need him.goes above and beond for his patience.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2011

Dr Bethune preformed a First Rib Resection on me ( had thoracic outlet syndrom ) it took a long time but I feel much better now...thanks doc. thumbs up.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2009

I was treated by Dr Bethune for a pneumothorax in 2005. He was the surgeon to repair my lung and continued to monitor my health post op. I would recommend him to anyone in Nova Scotia with a lung problem. Thanks Dr Bethune!!

flag | Submitted October 14, 2009

Dr. Bethune saved my life. He performed an 8 hour operation (my fifth)which culminated in a full recovery after almost 2 years of rehab. His expertise and talent is rivaled by his bedside manner and honesty. If he's scheduled to take care of you, you're in the very best of hands.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2009