Ratings for Dr. Carlos Contreras

He is the worst doctor I have ever had. A friend recommended him for my daughter, who is 8 months old. The first appointment we had, he was kind of rushed and he picked up my daughter in a strange manner, by one leg and one hand on the chest. My daughter is very happy and always smiling and loves people, but she did not like this man at all and was screaming the whole time and didn't smile once. I kept calling the office to make an appointment it always went straight to voicemail, so I left so many voicemails to call me back and no one ever did and so much time had passed. I take the bus so its about an hour by bus and subway so I didn't want to show up without an appointment. No one was returning my calls so I decided to just go to the office and talk to them. I got an appointment and when I told Dr. Contreras what had happened, instead of apologizing for his office's incompetence, he pretty much called me a liar. My daughter had a rash on her bum that I wanted him to take a look at, he barely glanced at it and accused me of not changing her diaper, which I do regularly. He also told me that in the night I must wake her up every two hours to change her bum, if my daughter is asleep in the night there is no way I am waking her up. He gave me a cream which I tried later on and it actually made the rash worse. He was very condescending and made it clear that we weren't important to him. He spoke to me as if I was an idiot. He asked what I fed her and I told him, he asked where did you hear that and I told him my mother who had six children had given me advice he said my mother didn't know what she was talking about and proceeded to tell me the weirdest diet which I have never heard of and will not be feeding her. I put her on the scale to be weighed and then he picked up my baby by one arm and she was screaming and screaming I quickly grabbed her before he dropped her. After all this I was putting on her clothes while he was talking to another patient who was just looking in the room while it was still our appointment. The doctor asked if I could finish dressing my daughter in the waiting room because he has other patients. So I had to go into the waiting roo. And put on my baby clothes which is outrageous. He treated us as if we were trash. After this appointment I was so stressed out and shocked by what had just happened that I started crying. I will never subject my poor baby to this terrible creepy old man again. He should not be allowed to have a license to practice and should not be around children. What kind of a doctor picks up a baby by one arm, I'm not even sure if he was a real doctor.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2017

I'm astonished by the positive reviews as I had quite a negative experience with Dr. Contreras. My slightly premature baby was in the hospital NICU for ten days (low birth weight) and the pediatrician assigned to us was Dr. Contreras. It was a nightmare. He ordered a CT scan and xrays for my baby without consulting me or communicating with me at all. My baby didn't even have any health issue that would require such tests. In fact, Dr. Contreras barely spoke to me or my husband during any of his rounds through the NICU. He just relayed instructions to the nurses and then quickly left. I was put in the dark about my own child's health and nurses couldn't explain his orders either! I felt clueless and helpless (feelings a new mom doesn't want intensified by the actions of doctors). Of course, every test revealed that there was nothing wrong with my baby. So I'll never understand his reasoning or manner. He even discharged my baby over the phone from his cottage when I demanded to know why my baby was still in the NICU after ten days. So when my baby was finally allowed to go home, we immediately sought out a more communicative and knowledgeable pediatrician. Overall, I found him to be slow, inaccessible, ancient in his ways and difficult to understand.

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

Tremendo doctor estoy muy contenta que a tiendas mis hijos

flag | Submitted September 12, 2017

This guy is terrible! He actually actively discourages parents from checking things out if they think their kids are sick. He should be stripped of his license and we'll get someone new and fresh into the clinic. Not this old windbag who certainly doesn't want to be there.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

Lacking basic standards. When I decided to post a review here and saw what others had written before, I spent a lot of time double checking that this was the same person we encountered last weekend. Last Sunday, June 18, 2017 our 28-month old was seen by Carlos E. Contreras (CPSO# 32620) at the Children's After Hours Clinic in North York. This person examined our child's tongue and mouth by inserting the otoscope and pressing it (repeatedly and apparently intentionally) against the inner cheeks and the tongue. Apart from the very idea of intentionally making the otoscope come in direct contact with the patient's mouth, we saw this otoscope being previously placed against the unprotected vinyl surface of the examination table. I could hold off no more and told him not to touch the child's mouth with this contaminated object. He responded by angrily throwing the otoscope on the table. My wife, desperate to obtain medical help for the child, continued to talk with this elderly man of questionable hygiene standards. That day, our child had a viral infection with active blisters in her mouth. I can only hope this individual did not touch any other child's mouth with his contaminated otoscope. This person's conduct in the examination room poses nothing short of real danger to public health. Should we need to use the Children's After Hours Clinic again, we will definitely do so. However, we will specifically ask that our child is examined by anyone but C.E. Contreras.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

he's an amazing doctor. my daughter has many psychiatric illnesses and he has given her referals to amazing specialiss to see her. he also prescribes my daughter her medications for and with his cardiology specialty he decides what best medication help her heart be healthy

flag | Submitted April 13, 2016

He is just amazing doctor !! I recommend as a mother

flag | Submitted April 7, 2016

Dr C is our hero. My daughter was born 12 weeks early & had 7 things wrong with her heart. After she was discharged from the NICU after 61 days, we had to see Dr Contreras every other day for a month , every 3 days...every week...every other week & then monthly for almost 2 years. He gave us his cell, home & cottage phone numbers if we ever had an emergency. I used this privilege 3 times & each time he met us at the hospital & my baby was admitted. He refused to give his " lovey" needles , so Michelle his equally amazing nurse & walking daytimer.( She ran his office with kindness & thoroughness . ) had to be the needle giver. He has a very special in my heart for making those first hard days so much better & for helping me to believe in myself to have the strength to go through all we did with our undercooked bambino then & over the last 16 1/2 yrs. Dr C's " lovey" is planning on being a Cardiologist too. We love you, thank you will never be enough

flag | Submitted October 27, 2014

Dr. Contreras has been amazing with both our children. Our son is now 15 and daughter 11 and we are extremely pleased with the way Dr. Contreras has been helping us deal with any medical issues they have ever had. He is a very knowledgable doctor and we like the fact that he does not jump to prescribing antibiotics right away. At his office Michelle in particular has been alway a great help.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2014

He has been my daughters pediatrician for over a year. He was the only one that was able to identify an issue with my dr. chest. I visited 6 drs including sick's and no one was able to explain why my daughter was coughing for 2 months. it was not allergies, it was not asthma. She was put on different meds including puffers and nothing worked. Dr Contreras was able to identify a plan of action to find a solution to it and at the end of the day we were able to address that cough. I would recommend him in a heart beat

flag | Submitted January 20, 2014