Ratings for Dr. Jonathan Katz

If the game is Survivor, then you want Jonathan Katz on your tribe. …Expert, experienced, efficient, knowledgeable, confident, steady-at-the-helm. Matter-of-fact, blunt, no-holds-barred. He’ll stare-down a grizzly bear while he points towards you and says, “Don’t move – I got this.” Bedside charm? …None. It’s gonna be a love-hate thing. ...And if you think you hate him - think twice. Situation: My wife had been diagnosed by our primary neurologist eight days earlier with ALS, terminal. He sent us to Dr. Katz for second opinion/validation. Dr. Katz sniffed out IBM, Inclusion Body Mysositis, a very rare variant of Muscular Dystrophy. Degenerative, not treatable, no cure, but also not terminal. The primary neurologist had missed the finger flexor testing and had not detected a pattern of muscle strength loss that distinguishes IBM from ALS.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2013

I saw Dr. Katz in San Francisco for Guillian Barre Syndrome. This is a rare and hard to diagnose illness. And hard to fight back from in 3 days I was paralyzed from the neck down. I was coming along pretty well then just stopped get better. This is where Dr. Katz came in, I found him on the GBS website. I found he was caring and interested in what was happening. He does know his stuff and was worth the drive to see he.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2013

With a diagnosis like ALS, it is difficult to go to see a dr. Dr. Katz and his team was just what we needed. They offered knowledge, compassion, and care. We appreciated the candor and choice they provided.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2012

I saw Dr. Katz at the Forbes Norris clinic. He entered the room and slumped into the chair, as if I was the last thing he wanted to see. When I asked about a certain medication, he made me feel like an idiot for asking. I've got ALS, so the last thing I needed was a doctor with a bad attitude. He apologized, but I would NOT recommend him. Months later a bill for $333 arrived. My insurance covered most of it, but my visit was not even worth the $25 I had to pay. BEFORE the consult, I asked the staff if I had to pay anything they said they didn't know -- say what?

flag | Submitted April 12, 2012

Dr. Katz comes across as rather indifferent and cold. He gives a terminal illness diagnosis in the most matter of fact way. He is very straightforward and won't give you any false hope. If the symptoms fit the disease, no matter how grave, he won't be searching for other possibilities. He leads a number of clinical studies, but is sceptical about all of them. If you want a an encouraging doctor who will give you hope he is certainly not the one.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2012

If your condition is not glaringly obvious when you walk in the door, you will likely be dismissed. Very little is done diagnostically and the motto here seems to be "I've been doing this for YEARS and I would know right off the bat if you had anything." I was very disappointed in the arrogance.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2009

Best doctor ever! He is the best, by far the best. He knows exactly what he's doing and is very knowledgable.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2008

I don't recommend to see Dr katz. He had another doctor to see us and we have to wait for 2 hours to see Dr Katz. when he finally show up after 2 hours, he didn't even do any diagnose. He ask couple questions and said everything ok. I was very dispoint to see Dr Katz.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2008

Dr. Katz is now located at the Forbe Norris ALS Clinic in San Francisco, located on Sacramento Ave. Dr. Katz was willing to take on my severe case when other doctors turned me away. He is very caring and compassionate. He will take time with you and not rush you. He is willing to learn more about your disease if he is not sure or there are new studies out. I have recommended other people to Dr. Katz several times.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2007

I found Dr. Katz extremely knowledgeable about peripheral neuropathy and very straight forward about what was available today to treat it...

flag | Submitted July 27, 2005

Dr. Jonathan Katz's Credentials

• Tulane University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1988)