Ratings for Dr. Michael Van Vliet

Dr. Van Vliet saved my moms life and I am so grateful. Maybe the whiners on this forum should quit coming to him with sore throats and ear aches. We know the people who write on these forums self select as with predominantly negative reviews. Good Job Dr. Van Vliet. Keep up all your hard work!

flag | Submitted September 18, 2017

Dr. Van Vliet was very professional when my wife and I saw him over the xmas holidays. It was very busy in the ER. He was able to quickly figure out what was wrong with me, and recommend many treatment options. He went out of his way and spoke to the surgeon as well as had him come and see me. We decided to finish our vacation and head back to Chicago. It was our first experience with Canadian health care and we thought it was awesome. He even gave us his card if there were any other problems while we were vacationing at Red Mountain. Thank you Dr. Van Vliet for your excellent care.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2017

He saw many patients while I was in the ER seeing him, and he did so easily and efficiently. It was busy and he did the best he could under the circumstances. He took time to listen and assess me, and gave me no-nonsense advice and a diagnosis. I was very happy with his care and would go see him anytime. He is honest and will tell you the truth, which some people cannot handle. I had a really good experience seeing him in Trail.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2016

Best doctor I have ever seen. Was so good with my mother when she was admitted to hospital.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2016

Saw Dr. Van Vliet in the ER. He is no b.s. and straight up, efficient and able to prioritize.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2016

Saved my life. Caught something no other doctor even considered. Almost always has a student or a resident with him. Seems to be a great teacher/mentor

flag | Submitted October 8, 2015

VERY INTELLIGENT, NO BS DR. WHICH I LIKE, FIGURED OUT MY PROBLEM EASILY, WERE LUCKY TO HAVE HIM IF YOU WANT DRUGS FORGET IT, WHICH IS GOOD

flag | Submitted May 28, 2015

Just an amazing doctor! So helpful when I came into ED. Others should aspire to have his knowledge an humour

flag | Submitted May 21, 2015

This was the worst care I have ever received! I was made to feel that I was wasting his time and that my injuries and pain were nothing. I instantly started crying because I started having a anxiety attack due to his aweful treatment and belittling. He went on more about how it was a pain to see me more then the actual treatment I received. I felt like I should have had a gown to be examined and he left the carton half way open and made me pull down my pants to examine a browse. Told me I didn't need a X ray but I was grown so I could make that decision. I left there feeling violated and embarrassed. I felt like the nurse that was there was uncomfortable too and covered for him by being extremely sweet and caring. This is a experience I would not wish on anyone. Especially someone sick battered and in pain. Just aweful

Submitted January 4, 2015

We have seen this doctor in the ER a few times now. He tries to lighten the mood with humour but was quite offensive. He kept asking if we (the parents) were related to each other. He asked 2-3 times if we were aboriginal even though we told him we're not. It felt like he wasn't taking her condition seriously. I haven't been satisfied with the medical care we received. My daughter has a life threatening condition. We went to the ER with an emergency letter as she was having an episode. The emergency letter explains which tests need to be preformed and to call our specialists at BC Children's hospital. We went in, trusting the doctor could take control of the situation and that he would know what we should do. The lab was not able to get a blood draw (they tried 3 times) so he said she probably just has a flu and sent us home. (even though a flu can be life threatening for her as well) Our specialists were very upset that he sent us home without performing tests or even calling them. We were lucky that the supplements we had at home brought her out of her episode, (although a lot slower and damaging than if she was given an IV to normalize her body) If we didn't trust our instincts and kept up with the supplements, she could have gotten much worse or died at home. I wish we could trust that we could take her in and have her medically cared for at the hospital properly.

Submitted September 3, 2014