Ratings for Dr. Mitchell Spivak

I thought he was friendly, I'm not sure what these comments of him being cold are about. Perhaps people misunderstand his technical purpose. Which he executed well. He is clearly erudite and professional. I didn't have a choice in picking/seeing him but I would gladly again if the need arose.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2017

Dr Spivak is astute, attentive and thoughtful. Pretty witty, but his ego sometimes surfaces when you present other studies or theories. He is upfront and honest in his comments which are sometimes harder to swallow than he might consider. I'm not a claim patient, but his focus is tinkerBeech veneer student or home office set. Desk with keyboard tray and wheeled drawer set. $$65 47" x 29.5" x 31" Lighted 5-shelf (4 glass shelves) book case. 31.5" x 79" x 11" $35 Two smaller storage units, 1 lighted with glass shelves and doors. The other has solid doors with shelves inside. These units can be stacked on top of each other if desired. $50 33.5" x 33.5" x 16" Buy all 3 for only $120. Pick up at 17 Ave & 45 St SW.ing with meds; no really talking.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

Dr Spivak is cold , direct and perhaps he was having a bad day but when I saw him. He was completely uncaring and couldn't have cared less that I was a broken spirit. "My job is to assess you not to council you!" he said. Fair enough! Maybe he's done this for so long that he's forgotten that words like, "hang in there we'll get you the help you need" can go a long way. Hard as nails and cold as ice.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2017

I encountered Dr. Slovak for an insurance company evaluation this past summer. I had flown from my home in NW BC to Vancouver. I was TERRIFIED. Leaving home & my community have been a challenge for me, to say the least. My anxiety was peaking and I struggled to hold myself together during the assessment. I found Dr. Slovak to be professional, knowledgeable and compassionate. At the moments when I fell apart, he demonstrated empathy and switched to innocuous topics, waiting patiently for me to pull myself together. He couldn't counsel me, but he did give me insight and advice that I have found valuable. He was honest and to the point. I have been through these evaluations de real times, with different psychiatrists and he was the most impressive. He didn't have a magical cure, which I still hoped for because I hate the "auditory hallucinations" I live with every day, but finally being told I might never know WHY I have them and that fighting them may aggravate them, was something I needed to hear. So, I have returned to therapy, no longer being angry and fighting my symptoms, but to instead find a way to live with them. I still hope I might someday find out the cause and cure, but learning to "be with" them, has actually helped reduce my anxiety and I am slowly becoming more active in the world and in life. Instead of thinking something is terribly wrong with me, I now view myself as "normal" with some dang irritating quirks. Don't fear him, be honest and open and you might meet the same, well-intentioned professional I found that day.

flag | Submitted December 20, 2016

Dr Spivak has saved my life on more than one occasion. He is direct, realistic and helped me get back to work after multiple hospitalizations. He got me on the right medication, gradually got me off others I did t need and monitors my levels for liver function and other potential side effects. Without him as the voice of reason in my life I'd likely be wasting away on disability feeling sorry for myself and not contributing to my community and making a difference for many many families. Dr Spivak helped me get well and grow up into a responsible well respected adult.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2016

He was very open and explained the reason for our visit throughly. He listened, and asked me questions directly. At the end of the session he gave me his prognosis and it was direct, insightful and helpful. The truth about some situations are hard to hear but at least now I feel like I may have a sense of what direction I need to go in to help myself get better.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2016

He was cold, unfeeling, uninterested, and unbelievably insensitive and rude. My experience with Dr. Spivak was traumatic.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2016

Dr. Spivak is extremely knowledgeable in the field of psychiatry. That's not the issue. He is simply there to provide medication. He is not interested in hearing from a patient, or how the patient feels, and in his own words, that is not his role. His role is medication and medication only. If one needs cognitive behavior therapy, or any other type of outreach or counseling, then seek it outside of Dr. Spivak's practice. Honestly, his only practice is the art of medication. Also, do not question him, because he is always right. Wow, what an ego.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2016

Dr Spivak was the psychiatrist that did my asses,e t for my insurance through great west life, it seems after reading other comments that's what he does. I have to support others comments that he works for the insurance company NOT for your best interests. I have been diagnosed with PTSD anxiety depression chronic insomnia from my employment. Within the first 3 minutes he said I did not have PTSD because I don't have nightmares (I don't have nightmares because I don't sleep!) he changed all my diagnosis that other psychologists and psychiatrists that have worked with me extensively within the first 15 mins. He also made recommendations for medication changes. If he even took the time to listen to me or read my attending Drs comments he would have seen that the medications he wants me on I had horrible reactions to and I'm red flagged for them. Then get this....half way through my assessment he fell asleep! No joke! Bottom line is that no matter what your attending doctors recommendations and treatment plans are this guys opinion, as misinformed as it is trumps everything g they have to say. Because of him I am now being forced back to work where I work with the public on limited hours of sleep (max 2hrs a night), continual intrusive thoughts and anxiety attacks that are sometimes completely debilitating. He also said it was his opinion that I have substance abuse problems when in reality I don't smoke, do drugs or drink , and haven't in over 10 years! Not due to addiction, due to choice. This man is dreadful

Submitted January 25, 2016

I was referred to him for a medical assement for my insurance company. I was scared to meet with him after reading the reviews. To my surprise, Dr. Spivak is extremely straight forward and has great recommendations. He is very pleasant and easy to speak with. If I had the option to have him as my full time Doctor, I would. Great doctor: would recommend him to anyone.

Submitted December 7, 2015