Ratings for Dr. Kata Matic

Dr. (Magic) Matic :) She has really exceeded my expectations of a gastroenterologist. I have seen a few specialist and nothing has compared to the extra time and care that she’s gone out of her way countless times to make sure I’m ok and on the right journey to getting my health back, such as evening calls to make sure I’m staying on track, extra supplements to help my overall well being, looking into other health issues from my past to help with that with out me even haveing to bring it up! I tricky can’t say enuff good things about this physition

flag | Submitted March 5, 2018

Sent to Dr Matic with severe bowel issues and she did everything in her power and knowledge to help me. Fantastic Dr that goes way beyond to hep her patients.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2017

I saw Dr. Matic when I was admitted by my internist for when I had been having stomach pain. I was in the er on a Saturday night with severe pain and could not walk or stand (er doctor though was hopeless sending me home even though I was in the worst pain I ever had and I have a tolerance for pain). Saw the internist on Weds and he took one look at me and sent me to the Royal Alex right away. I had been seeing him for months and he kept telling me it was IBS. Turns out I had a protruding disc and that is why I ended up in hospital. He then said that the stomach pain was IBS but had sent Dr. Matic to see me. She sat down and she said she had read what the internist had tested me for and said I had IBS. She asked me a bunch of questions about what was going on and asked if I was depressed (I wasn't at the time - or so I thought since I was still very social - but a year later the syptoms of depression itself started so the pain was related to depression even though there was no sign of it at that time. My own GP, who was very wonderful didn't think I was depressed at that time and he said he always knew when I came in that if I said there was something wrong that I was actually sick and knew my body (also said I should have been a doctor). Dr. Matic said at the time in the hospital that I did not have IBS and had no symptoms of it and said that many doctors tell their patients if they can't figure out what is wrong say it is IBS. She decided to do a colonoscopy and she had found a 1 inch polyp and removed it a made a follow up appointment at her office in 3 weeks after. My internist was the one to tell me a polyp was removed but it was no big deal and was normal and discharged me saying I had IBS. I saw Dr. Matic in her office and told me the polyp had cancer cells. She said it was rare to find a polyp at my age (26) and female with cancer cells. She said that by age 40 I would have been diagnosised with Colon Cancer and be dead at age 45. She said it could either be genetics or a predisposistion to polyps and to see her in 2 years again for another colonoscopy. That was clear and have colonoscopies every 5 years. By doing a colonoscopy just because she thought of doing a colonoscopy she saved my life as I am know 44 years old and no polyps since or anything else. It turns out that Colon Cancer is genetic as my Mom was diagnosied with Stage 3 Colon Cancer in 2013 (she had regular stool samples taken all the time but nothing ever showed up, but stool samples don't always show any signs) My Mom had chemo and radiation right away for 8 weeks but in that short of time it had gone to stage 4 and had spread to her lungs and liver and told she wouldn't live to the end of the year. Now it is 2016 and my Mom is still here but is now dying and it won't be long now. Her 2 brothers here got tested right away and both had a few polyps and had to go back to be checked again every year since. So by Dr. Matic accidentally finding that polyp in 2001 and followed up every 5 years was the best thing ever. Only thing with Dr. Matic is that when you go in for a colonoscopy you most likely will be waiting awhile since emergencies show up and need to be taken care of first but that is out of her hands if she is on call that day for emergency cases. Dr. Matic has even going above her GI duties and had orered other tests in the past that aren't even GI related if I have had other medical issues.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2016

I have been going to Dr. Matic for a long time now i would say over five years . I am always pleased with her level of professionalism and knowledge. when i first went to see her i was having flare ups two to three times a month or more. She has always listened and tried to come up with solutions and through active listening she was able to bring my condition under control and is in 100 percent remission. it was a long road to recovery as it can be ht and miss on different medications. Dr. Matic was not one to give up when the going gets tough Dr.matic gets going to find a solution that works for the patient. there's been many times over the years where i have called her office and was booked in asap. I was going through some tough times and couldnt afford my medication, Dr.Matic entered me into a program to get my medication for free for three months and assured me if ever i need some medication and have no way of getting it to call her office right away and they will do everything in there power to find a solution for me, so i wouldn't have to go without. I think she is a great doctor and the world is a better place for having her. all i can say if you get the chance to see Dr.matic be confident she will do all in her power to make you feel comfortable and understand your condition to the fullest. Thank you Dr,matic!

flag | Submitted August 12, 2015

Dr. Kata Matic.. Where do I begin? Let's start 2012 when she performed an EUS on me to look at my bile duct. She said nothing was wrong however my bile duct was measuring at 12mm not 9mm like it should, but that was ok! Ff to 2014, I started developing severe upper abdominal pain again a few months after my son was born. I was referred to see Dr Matic again. In the mean time I had 5 er visits in the 5 months I waited to see her, all telling me to wait until I see her (all at the royal Alex hospital). I finally see her in January 2015 and this is how our appointment went. She proceeded to tell me as soon as we walked in that she could not remove any more organs (I had my gallbladder removed in 2009). I did not want any organs removed I wanted to know why I was in so much pain! She refused to listen to anything I had to say, in fact when my spouse came in with me she asked who he was so I told her, and later she proceeded to me being a single parent was hard and the stress from that is causing my pain. I said I'm not a single parent his father is sitting right there! That came up 3 times in my visit! She then said that my job (I just went back to work 3 weeks prior after being on maternity and sick leave for 1.5 years) is what has been causing my pain! A job I had for 3 weeks has caused my pain for 3 years? Ok then! She refused to do an ercp which was what I had been referred to her for. And instead booked me in for one but was only doing another EUS, she said she would only do the ercp IF she saw a stone (numerous tests have ruled out anymore stones). I mentioned to her my mom having crohns (mom is also a patient of matic) and she proceeded to pull up my mothers file and tell me and my spouse that my mother does not have crohns and that her being sick was all her appendix (her appendix ruptured and she say septic in matic's care for almost 4 weeks before going in for surgery). So right there she broke the Dr patient confidentiality law! She then told me to have my family dr send me to a chronic pain clinic and that she was going to do nothing for me. I asked her why my bile duct was so large, she said because of the diluadid I had been taking. That would make sense if again I had been on the diluadid longer then a month! According to her the pain I've felt for 3 years my bile duct measuring 3mm larger then it should was caused by a job I had for 3 weeks and painkillers I had been on for a month! I went for the EUS with her the following week (she didn't use a mouth guard or numb my throat and I lost my voice after the procedure) and "everything was normal". 3 weeks later I woke up in extreme pain and vomiting everything I attempted to eat up. I went to the U of A emergency and surprisingly got in right away! After being kept overnight and given a ct scan, X-ray, ultrasound and numerous blood tests, the gastroenterologist there diagnosed me with a very rare disorder called sphincter of oddi dysfunction and had me in for an emergency ercp within a few hours! If you are told you are being referred to this Dr RUN she is an egotistical, know it all who rather then diagnose someone with something she rare or knows nothing about she would rather say there is nothing wrong! Not to mention her horrible bedside manner, breech of my mothers confidentiality and sheer rudeness! For being the "best gastroenterologist in Edmonton" she sure sucks! If you are in need of a gastroenterologist I recommend going straight to the U of A and avoid the Royal Alex all together!

flag | Submitted February 7, 2015

This doctor knows nothing, informs me that to have gallstones removed is needless surgery. She saw me when I was in excruciating pain along with a very swollen stomach, she doesn't care would rather prescribe painkillers than treat the root of my severe abdominal pain that I'm in. Run from this doctor.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2014

I met this doctor on April 26th! One word to describe her is unprofessional! I recommend that if you have to see her , you may as well go to your local pharmacy, they have more knowledge than this woman possess. Dr Mattic IMHO, has breached my confidentiality and defamed me. She conducted her so called 'assessment' in the hospital hallway! This doctor did not believe that I was scoped and admitted to an Ontario hospital! In fact she called me a liar, which is proved wrong now! You see I have 3 LD's , and I have trouble retrieving information in order. I also was not absorbing my pills which I am on 13, one is PRED, which I don't react so well to! This doctor advised other people and myself that she doesn't believe me! Well Dr. Matic , I have the TESTS that you were in search of and I want you to stay away! A GI of all people should know what Pred and when you don't receive your other meds can do, my brain was in shock! I reported you, and I seeded a page with my full story!

flag | Submitted April 30, 2014

Dr. Matic is a GI, therefore treats patients for all things bowel/gut related. I went in with my family member as he was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. We asked her about diet changes considering essentially "you are what you eat" and she told him to eat whatever he wants. She is very wrong! you can cure any inflammatory bowel disease by what you eat. Find what is making you inflammed and correct it. Get allergy tested, Metal tested etc. All she is interested in is telling you about you disease giving you harsh steroids and drugs and treating the smoke not the fire. She is a horrible doctor and should do more research as far as her line of work goes.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2012

I asked to be referred to Dr. Mattic as my sister-in-law had seen her (and Dr. Ferguson was no help). I had an appointment at 7:30am and was in to see her within minutes. I told her what was going on and that week I had had blood work, a barium x-ray done. While I had to be admitted to emerg the following week due to the pain I was having, I had a CT-scan asap and was admitted. She referred me to a great surgeon! Now, 2 months post-op I have no further pain and can acutally use the washroom! :). In seeing her she was very helpful adn understanding the pain I was having.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2011

I saw this doctor in the fall of 2007 and because if her lack of knowledge and professionalism she almost killed me. I had been refered to her after some abnormal tests that my family doctor had run and the results of my MRI stated that I most likely had a tumor behind my pancreas. My family doctor advised me not to go back to university until my medical issue was resolved as they felt it was very serious. They sent me to dr.matic. 1st my appoint was at 7:30am in the morning. I didn't see her and her assistant until 11:30am. I had to wait about 4 hours to be told by her that all the doctors were wrong and I did not have a tumor. Going to university would not be a problem and I had something very minor. She sent me for some tests and then called me and said everything was fine. More tests proved I had a tumor. My 1st surgery failed because dr.matic did not do a 24 hour urine test correctly and I almost died on the table. Because shfur treed up I almost died and required a 2nd surgery!!

flag | Submitted November 3, 2011