Ratings for Dr. Daran L. Austen

I found him to be very typical of a surgeon. He can perform surgery but lacks empathy. Perhaps I caught him on a off day but I found he rushed to speak to me after surgery. I had just had surgery and was groggy and had a lot of questions and wasn't able to ask him anything. The nurse suggested I call his office if I had further questions, otherwise I was suppose to arrange a recheck appointment in a month. I was lying in a bed next to another person who had the same surgery. Her doctor (I believe she said it was John or James Graham) came in and spoke to her for at least 10 minutes. I got more information from eavesdropping on their conversation then I did from my own doctor who obviously had more pressing matters to attend to!

flag | Submitted May 27, 2016

Awesome, helpful, got my bilateral hernia surgery done totally uneventful, myself overseas surgeon done more than 700 open surgeries and nearly 50 with laparoscope so better to say he is excellent, fully recommend and appreciate his team

flag | Submitted March 17, 2016

Awful doctor, uncaring and indifferent. We need good general surgeons for Calgary

flag | Submitted March 4, 2016

Couldn't ask for better care from Dr Austen and his staff, particularly Shirley.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2015

Dr. Austen performed a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair earlier this month. It was literally pain free, I required no pain killers at all. I had a little discomfort, but really nothing that required medication. I had to stay overnight, and he drooped in the next morning to see how I was doing. A great guy and superb surgeon.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2015

I found him to be very arrogant and his bedside manners were deplorable. Very unprofessional

flag | Submitted July 9, 2015

All of my experiences with Dr Austen have been nothing but exceptional! He treats you as a person about whom he genuinely cares. He is the utmost professional in all aspects. It is a joy to be able to talk and discuss my issues with him. For sure, he lives up to the nickname that I gave him - Awesome Austen! Forever grateful.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2015

Dr. Austen performed my bilateral mastectomy in 2013. He is an amazing and compassionate man. He listened carefully to what I wanted and explained all of my options in great detail, he takes his time with his patients. Everything went very well and he is seeing me through to the completion of my reconstruction. Shirley (in his office) is also wonderful to deal with! Would highly recommend!

flag | Submitted March 30, 2015

My maternity doctor referred me to him for a massive galactocele that wouldn't go away on its own and refilled after a partial drainage. I was not impressed with having to wait an additional 2 weeks to meet him after having to wait so long already with a lot of pain already. When I met him he was coming convinced it would go away on its own and to just wait for it to go away. It was the size of a softball and I wasn't able to perform normal daily activities and was struggling with taking care of my 2 month old. He sent me for another drainage even though I knew it wouldn't help. So I went for second drain, the radiologist said it was abscess and that I needed surgery and there wasn't anything that this procedure would do for me. What came out of my breast was green. So I called back Dr Austens office to see if I could get in earlier, I mentioned what the radiologist said and was told an email would be sent to Dr Austen for if he wanted to do more testing and an appointment was booked for a week from then. Was told if I had specific symptoms then to go to emergency. After waiting a couple days for a response and being frustrated because I didn't have those symptoms and having an potentially having an abscess I called back for any response and then I went to emergency. Once at the hospital they did a few tests for confirmation and I was put on the list for emergency surgery. I had a huge abscess. Dr Austen didn't want to do what was necessary for me. I am incredibly unimpressed, and thank Dr Graham.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015

Capable and compassionate. Good communicator. Gall bladder laproscopy went perfectly without any post operative pain.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2015