Ratings for Dr. Daran L. Austen

I had a lump and pollop removed from my right breast. I was so scared of scarring. Once the bandages were removed I was ecstatic. My scars are barely noticeable and give them a few months to turn white and you'll never know they existed. He is warm and empathetic. If I'm ever unlucky enough to get another lump, he's the one I will turn to. I could not thank him enough.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

Daran Austen is simply awesome. He provided me with lots of information that helped me decide to have a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy — which he then said was, in his view, the best option for me. He did a fabulous job removing my tumour with clear margins and nine lymph nodes. Nice tidy scars. I never felt rushed by him. I came prepared with questions and he answered them all. Later, when I was hospitalized after my first chemo because of a high fever, he came and visited me — still in his scrubs. I was really touched by that. I trust his knowledge and skill completely. Awesome, compassionate, diligent and competent. What more could you want in a medical professional — particularly a surgeon?

flag | Submitted May 8, 2017

I can't say enough nice things about Dr. Austen. I see him at the Breast Clinic at foothills but he does have an office downtown. His nurse Edith at foothills is amazing and his secretary Shirley at his private office was very helpful. He is always on time and he will talk to you for as long as you like. He gave me many options for my surgery and we were on the exact same page and made the decision for a mastectomy. After surgery he stopped by and saw me in my room...talked to my husband and my parents. He came to the hospital early to discharge me so I could recover at home. He is an excellent doctor and a fantastic surgeon.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2017

I can't say enough about Dr. Austen. He is kind and caring and shows true empathy for his patients. He has done 2 surgeries for me. Hernia and GB removal. I am a nervous patient when it comes to surgery and he made me feel at ease and calm. I cannot understand how he could get any negative reviews. I don't want any more surgeries but if I ever do, he will be my first call. Thank you Dr. A. You are A+++++ in my book!

flag | Submitted February 3, 2017

I absolutely thought Dr. Austen was fantastic. He was very caring and helpful. I would highly recommend him. His staff (Shirley ) also wonderful. Thanks again

flag | Submitted December 19, 2016

My husband and I would like to thank Dr. Austen for his knowledge in helping me with peace of mind as to my situation. He was very personable and extensive in his explanations for his recommendations making my decision a simple one. I left his office feeling very positive. Thanks again!

flag | Submitted October 31, 2016

I found him to be very typical of a surgeon. He can perform surgery but lacks empathy. Perhaps I caught him on a off day but I found he rushed to speak to me after surgery. I had just had surgery and was groggy and had a lot of questions and wasn't able to ask him anything. The nurse suggested I call his office if I had further questions, otherwise I was suppose to arrange a recheck appointment in a month. I was lying in a bed next to another person who had the same surgery. Her doctor (I believe she said it was John or James Graham) came in and spoke to her for at least 10 minutes. I got more information from eavesdropping on their conversation then I did from my own doctor who obviously had more pressing matters to attend to!

flag | Submitted May 27, 2016

Awesome, helpful, got my bilateral hernia surgery done totally uneventful, myself overseas surgeon done more than 700 open surgeries and nearly 50 with laparoscope so better to say he is excellent, fully recommend and appreciate his team

flag | Submitted March 17, 2016

Awful doctor, uncaring and indifferent. We need good general surgeons for Calgary

flag | Submitted March 4, 2016

Couldn't ask for better care from Dr Austen and his staff, particularly Shirley.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2015