You may also like

Ratings for Dr. Daran L. Austen

Awesome, helpful, got my bilateral hernia surgery done totally uneventful, myself overseas surgeon done more than 700 open surgeries and nearly 50 with laparoscope so better to say he is excellent, fully recommend and appreciate his team

flag | Submitted March 17, 2016

flag | Submitted March 4, 2016

flag | Submitted September 17, 2015

Dr. Austen performed a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair earlier this month. It was literally pain free, I required no pain killers at all. I had a little discomfort, but really nothing that required medication. I had to stay overnight, and he drooped in the next morning to see how I was doing. A great guy and superb surgeon.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2015

flag | Submitted July 9, 2015

All of my experiences with Dr Austen have been nothing but exceptional! He treats you as a person about whom he genuinely cares. He is the utmost professional in all aspects. It is a joy to be able to talk and discuss my issues with him. For sure, he lives up to the nickname that I gave him - Awesome Austen! Forever grateful.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2015

Dr. Austen performed my bilateral mastectomy in 2013. He is an amazing and compassionate man. He listened carefully to what I wanted and explained all of my options in great detail, he takes his time with his patients. Everything went very well and he is seeing me through to the completion of my reconstruction. Shirley (in his office) is also wonderful to deal with! Would highly recommend!

flag | Submitted March 30, 2015

My maternity doctor referred me to him for a massive galactocele that wouldn't go away on its own and refilled after a partial drainage. I was not impressed with having to wait an additional 2 weeks to meet him after having to wait so long already with a lot of pain already. When I met him he was coming convinced it would go away on its own and to just wait for it to go away. It was the size of a softball and I wasn't able to perform normal daily activities and was struggling with taking care of my 2 month old. He sent me for another drainage even though I knew it wouldn't help. So I went for second drain, the radiologist said it was abscess and that I needed surgery and there wasn't anything that this procedure would do for me. What came out of my breast was green. So I called back Dr Austens office to see if I could get in earlier, I mentioned what the radiologist said and was told an email would be sent to Dr Austen for if he wanted to do more testing and an appointment was booked for a week from then. Was told if I had specific symptoms then to go to emergency. After waiting a couple days for a response and being frustrated because I didn't have those symptoms and having an potentially having an abscess I called back for any response and then I went to emergency. Once at the hospital they did a few tests for confirmation and I was put on the list for emergency surgery. I had a huge abscess. Dr Austen didn't want to do what was necessary for me. I am incredibly unimpressed, and thank Dr Graham.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015

flag | Submitted January 22, 2015

Dr. Austen performed my bilateral mastectomy earlier this year. When I first met him to discuss the operation, he struck me as very compassionate and interested in ensuring I was an informed patient. I immediately felt comfortable. He took time to explain the process to me, and though I came in there being rather educated on it I was pleased he took the time to detail it out for me. He had great bedside manner as well. This carried through to the date of my surgery and afterward. Even though I was "released" after surgery to another surgeon for follow up, he came to check on me the day after to see how I was recovering. I also found his assistant (Shirley) to be great anytime I talked to her on the phone, as were the students he had with him at the consult, and later at surgery, and think his students are fortunate to learn under him. I appreciated how his student who was at the surgery even came by herself to see me bright and early the morning to check on how I was doing.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2014

Dr. Daran L. Austen's Credentials

• University of Calgary

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Awesome, helpful, got my bilateral hernia surgery done totally uneventful, myself overseas surgeon done more than 700 open surgeries and nearly 50 with laparosc..."

March 17, 2016
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Awful doctor, uncaring and indifferent. We need good general surgeons for Calgary"

March 4, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Couldn't ask for better care from Dr Austen and his staff, particularly Shirley. "

September 17, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Austen performed a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair earlier this month. It was literally pain free, I required no pain killers at all. I had a little d..."

July 27, 2015
  • A new 2.8-star rating has been posted. "I found him to be very arrogant and his bedside manners were deplorable. Very unprofessional"

July 9, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "All of my experiences with Dr Austen have been nothing but exceptional! He treats you as a person about whom he genuinely cares. He is the utmost professional i..."

June 14, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Austen performed my bilateral mastectomy in 2013. He is an amazing and compassionate man. He listened carefully to what I wanted and explained all of my op..."

March 30, 2015
  • A new 2.5-star rating has been posted. "My maternity doctor referred me to him for a massive galactocele that wouldn't go away on its own and refilled after a partial drainage. I was not impressed wit..."

January 29, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Capable and compassionate. Good communicator. Gall bladder laproscopy went perfectly without any post operative pain."

January 22, 2015