Dr. Teck M. Soo

Outstanding Staff Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Teck M. Soo

I had a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion L4-5 surgery performed by Dr. Soo , after another Doc had twice operated and made things successively worse. Tech and his team made it right and I am without pain for the first time in 7 years. Bavo!

flag | Submitted March 1, 2018

Dr. Soo performed a spinal laminectomy on me 4 weeks ago. I had been having severe pain in both legs for months and nothing was helping until I had the surgery. My leg pain was gone immediately and my recovery has been going so well. I was fearful of having back surgery but am so happy with the results and I am grateful for Dr Soo.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2018

My only regret is that I didn't have the surgery sooner; I spent nearly 2 years using alternatives that simply did not give me lasting pain relief, including steroid injections, chiropractors, massage therapy, physical therapy, I did it all to no avail . Dr. Soo performed an L4-5 fusion surgery on me (58 year old male) on October 4, 2017. I had immediate relief from sciatic pain that ran down both legs 24/7. I was walking the night of surgery and went home the next morning. No need for "at-home" skilled nursing care, I was completely mobile -- and off pain medication -- within the first week. I have been walking on the treadmill, swimming and doing strength building exercises for my "core". I am very happy with the outcome of this surgery and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dr. Soo others.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2018

As a practicing physical therapist for 32 years in the area, I hear a lot of talk about the good, the bad and the ugly from my patients. I repeatedly heard about Dr. Soo and what a wonderful surgeon he is and saw the outcomes of his patients that were referred for PT. It was only natural that when my spouse required a spinal surgery , Dr. Soo was my surgeon of choice. My husband's surgery was flawless and the recovery and outcomes were much better than anticipated. We appreciated his honesty and humor and of course his expert skill in the OR. We recommend Dr. Soo, if consultation or surgery is in your future. 10+/10!!!

flag | Submitted January 25, 2018

Dr Tech Soo is a miracle worker who took care of chronic problem with the cervical vertebraes he ended up doing total Fusion from C3 to T1 with outstanding results I would highly recommend Dr Teck Soo and the staff at Providence Hospital Southfield for the outstanding service and care thank you for making my life much better and pain free

flag | Submitted January 8, 2018

I had a Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion L4-5 surgery performed by Dr. Soo on Nov 28, 2017. Before the surgery, I had experienced the sciatica pain in my left leg for 18 months, and the pain later expanded to both legs for 6 months. The surgery is a complete success, and I returned to work 2 weeks after surgery. I had no pain in my legs. Dr. Soo is very skillful in performing complex spinal procedures. The methods and devices that he developed are the best in his field. Dr. Soo has a very good sense of humor. He is very honest and straight forward when discusses treatment options. You can trust him fully. I highly recommend Dr. Soo.

flag | Submitted December 31, 2017

Dr. Soo did a lower spinal fusion and disc clean up on 10-24-17. My leg and hip pain is gone, still sore in the surgery area I just need more time. Dr. Soo is a top notch surgeon and would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2017

Dr. Soo is a very professional and experienced surgeon. We did a lot of research and interviewed 3 top candidates. He developed the most comprehensive corrective action plan and performed it perfectly. We went with a posterior cervical decompression and fusion C-3 — T-1 . Wonderful results and pain relief.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2017

Dr Soo performed a spinal fusion on me C4 through C6. The results were amazing, he saved me from permanent spinal cord damage. From the first visit Dr Soo and his staff were compassionate and efficient. I wouldn't trust anyone else to work on my spine issues.

flag | Submitted December 7, 2017

I first visited Dr Soo in 1999 with horrific pain in my lower back and leg. After fusion of the lumbar area I was up and about with no pain the next week. Three more similar occasion followed wth the last one occurring in 2013. Each time Dr Soo knew what was needed and performed with excellence and extreme compassion. His staff was always efficient and compassionate. I am thankful for his skill and desire to be the wonderful Doctor that helps his patients have productive lives again.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2017

Dr. Teck M. Soo's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

A highly skilled neurosurgeon, Dr. Soo specializes in complex spine reconstruction and revision using minimally invasive spine surgery. He offers a conservative approach to his patients, using surgery as a last resort. Dr. Soo has extensive clinical and surgical experience. He was board certified in General surgery by the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh, United Kingdom in 1991, board certified in Neurosurgery by the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada in 1997 and board certified in Neurosurgery by the American Board of Neurosurgery in 2003. Dr. Soo became a fellow of the American College of Surgeons in 2004. Dr. Soo completed his medical education at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. He then completed a general surgery residency at the University of Hong Kong and undertook a Neurosurgical residency in the program in the University of Toronto, Canada. After the residency, he completed two Neurosurgical spine fellowships at the University of Toronto under Dr. Michael Fehlings, Chair of the Spine Section in the Department of Neurosurgery, University of Toronto and Dr. Richard Perrin, Associate Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery, University of Toronto. Dr. Soo performed over 700 major spine cases per year. Starting 2009, Dr. Soo was elected one of the top doctors/surgeons in the country by Consumer Research Council in Washington, an independent voting agency, in the "Guide to top doctors/surgeons" from 2002-2012, and was elected one of the top doctors in Detroit by the Detroit Hour magazine consecutively from 2003-present. Dr. Soo was a faculty member of University of Toronto before moving to Michigan. Dr. Soo has been the Chief of Neurosurgery, Providence Hospital, Michigan since 2004. He became a Clinical Assistant Professor, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Michigan State University and the Medical Director of the Complex Spine Service, Van Elslander Neuroscience Institute, Providence Hospital and Medical Centers, Michigan in 2007. Dr. Soo became the Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Neurological surgery, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine in 2012 and a clinical assistant professor in the Department of Surgery, Michigan State University School of Human Medicine, in 2016. In addition to speaking English, Dr. Soo can fluently communicate in the following Chinese dialects: Cantonese, Mandarin and Hakka. Dr. Soo started the practice in 1999.

• Cantonese
  • English
  • Mandarin
  • Hakka

• Univ Of Dublin, Trinity Coll, Sch Of Physic, Dublin, Ireland (Grad. 1987)

HealthPartners