Ratings for Dr. Leonard Kuwahara

To the writer of Nov. 22/2016...I do agree about the phones..it can be difficult at times, but perhaps it's the timing of the calls. Phoning the office right at 9am may not be a good idea as the Dr. or receptionist may be retrieving phone messages at that time. Also, the lines can be very busy because the receptionist is answering the phone for not just Dr. Kuwahara, but for Dr. Der as well, One call comes through, then another right after. Lunch time is 12-1Pm., so no point in calling then. I have found though, that Friday afternoons at approx. 3pm..is next to impossible to get through the line, but that doesn't bother me. As for finding another doctor, would you truly trade Dr. K because of this? Only you can make that decision, but I think you would regret it, plus the fact that getting a new doctor could be a hard job. True, there isn't any email, but this is the way the office works.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2017

Some have written about how difficult it seems to get through the telephone lines. The receptionist is answering the phone for TWO doctors..Kuwahara AND Dr Der. I have been in the office many times to hear the phones constantly going off. The receptionistno sooner finishes one call then another comes through. I honestly don't know how she manages to get other work done, yet she always manages to be pleasant & helpful. Calling right at 9am may not easy good idea as the office is just opening & messages are being retrieved. As for referrals not being made I don't think that's accurate. Many specialists take their sweet time in getting back to the doctor with an appt date especially Orthopaedic surgeons. They look at the referral & the details then decide when to set the appt date. It can take even a few months for them to get back to the doctor then say the appt is months away. This is hardly Dr K's receptionist's fault. While I agree the phone system is outdated, it is what it is. Please try to walk a mile in the receptionisis's shoes before criticizing her.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2017

To the writer of Jan.6/2017...Specialists retake their sweet time in getting back to Family Doctors. Some will take miponths then say your appt is months again down the road. They read the referral, what the problem seems to be, what tests etc had been done then decide on the timing. As for the office phones the receptionist is answering for TWO doctors..Dr Kuwahara AND Dr. Dear. Everytime I'm in the office the phone is constantly ringing. The receptionis no sooner hangs up on call, then another is coming through. I don't know how she manages to do other office responsibilities with such a busy phone constantly ringing. It would drive me bonkers yet she is always pleasant. I think people need to walk a mile in her shoes before criticizing.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2017

He's been my doctor my entire life , better than the majority of specialists I've seen

flag | Submitted January 16, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Kuwahara since he took over from Dr. Wilkens years ago. My family are his patients as well. He is an absolutely fantastic doctor 5 stars +. However, I have noticed that since the change of location, The appointments with specialists are not being made in good time (or at all) as they were in the past. It is often difficult to get a response when calling in and messages are not returned.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2017

I am a 3rd generation patient I have been with him for 30 years he is a great doctor. I have never had any issues getting appointments or waiting a long time to be seen. He is now a 4th generation family doctor

flag | Submitted December 29, 2016

Dr Kuwahara has been my Family Doctor for 28 years. I have moved to Markham but I continue to be Dr Kuwahara despite the drive. He is an EXCELLENT doctor, not only knowledgeable but the best listener. and has a way to make everyone comfortable. About a couple of years ago it has become very difficult to get an appointment or even talk to the receptionist. Messages have gone for days without a callback and at one point the message box was full. There is no email or other modern ways of contact his office. The only other options are walk in clinics and / or find another doctor.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2016

This certainly is not the first comment I've made. A few months back, I returned to Dr. Kuwahara's practise. The biggest regret is leaving in the first place, but moving well out of the area meant a long drive. The Dr. I had (since leaving Dr. K) was not a good fit for me. I needed to be back with Dr. K. so I could talk with him in a relaxed fashion, I always had total trust & faith in him, & I liked him. Recently, Dr. K. referred me for a colonoscopy. I had never had this procedure..& I'm 68 yrs of age. The procedure revealed 2 polyps...which of course were removed, & neither were a threat to my health. I hate to think what might have happened had I stayed with the Dr. I didn't fit with..likely I would not have had the colonoscopy. It's scary to think of having polyps that could have grown to the point of being a threat. I'm so grateful to Dr. K. for making that referral. So once more, I'm singing Dr. Kuwahara's praises.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2016

To the writer of April 27/2016..re not receiving calls about appts. I'm a little confused. You say "she never called me about my appointments I would booth with other specialists". Actually, it is the receptionist who books the appointment, then calls the patient with the appt. date. I don't know who you spoke to about this issue, & I certainly don't know to blamed you for it. If it was the receptionist, perhaps you may have asked why you weren't informed,. Did you discuss this with the Dr.? I do find him to be very understanding & helpful. Even though you now live far away, you may have problems finding a doctor who is taking new patients. Please do yourself a gigantic favour...is leaving Dr. Kuwahara's practise due to a possibly misunderstanding really worth looking for another doctor? I too live quite a distance, found a doctor in my area, but as it turned out, that doctor was not a good fit for me. I'm so glad I was able to return to Dr. Kuwahara's practise. Yes, the drive may be 1 1/2 hrs...& it bad weather it may be a chore, but the bad weather isn't for several months down the road, & I may not have to see him all that often. Good luck!

flag | Submitted May 5, 2016

I was with Kuwahara since I was a child. He's probably one of the BEST listeners out there, a very kind and considerate person. And so is the secretary, but there is where the problem lies. She never called me about any appointments I would book with other specialists. I brought it up once and I was then blamed for it... It was very frustrating and caused me took seek another doctor, I've lived far for a while now anyways so it was a good excuse. I really miss him though.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2016