Ratings for Dr. Leonard Kuwahara

I think Dr. Kuwahara is a real gem of a doctor. He doesn’t readily issue prescriptions but will do so only if he feels it necessary. He’s very easy to talk with & explains things in everyday language & what the posssibilities may or may not be. You are not rushed & if you have more than one symptom you are not made to feel as though you are taking up his time. This is a rarity with today’s doctors. I have been with him for several years and he has a great memory. My late parents moved in 1992 necessitating them to find another doctor but Dr Kuwahara still to this day remembers certain ailments they had. I hope Dr Kuwahara continues to practise for years to come. He is exceptional.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2017

To the writer of June 27th. I can see that you respond to many negative posts. Is that to drive up the ratings? I got my specialist appointments within 2 weeks and 2 months via a walk in clinic. I shouldn't have to go to a walk in clinic as I have a great doctor. The fact that she is answering the phones for 2 doctors is not my problem. Her not pulling through and booking the specialist appointments is a big problem and leaves the doctor open to litigation if something goes sideways.. Her English is actually quite good so that is not a valid excuse for her comments. Dr. Kuwahara is an exceptionally good doctor and requires a proper admin support. If she can't handle the job, then she needs to speak up, so that the health of the patients is not put at risk, and add a part time admin assistant or receptionist. They can probably get one via a co-op program at little cost if cost is a concern.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2017

To the writer of Sept. 3/2017. Are you aware that the "office administrator" answers the phone for not one, but TWO doctors? That phone is constantly ringing. I don't know how the woman gets through her day with the phones constantly going off. Yes, you're right...she's not the one who does the hiring. If whoever runs the office isn't up to date with technology, it's hardly the "administrator's" fault. She can work with just what she has. I must say in all honesty, that in all the 30 years I've been a patient of Dr. Kuwahara, I've never had a problem with lack of communication OR follow-up. We're all entitled to our opinions, THAT I respect. I can tell you one thing...he's from the old school, he pays attention to his patients, he LISTENS. Prior to returning to Dr. K's practise, I had a young cocky-know-it-all Dr. who scared the living life out of me. I got nowhere with that guy. I was afraid I'd become very ill or even die, so I was very fortunate to get back to Dr. K. I have complete & utter trust in him, & wouldn't trade him for the world. Sorry your partner has had some bad experience, but perhaps mention of the problem could be made to the Dr.??????

flag | Submitted September 7, 2017

I don't go to Dr. Kuwahara, but my partner does. I would not rate this doctor highly, due to the many times my partner has had to seek care elsewhere (indluding an emergency room visit) due to lack of communication and follow through. The office administrator does need help. It is not her job to hire more hands however. She is overwhlemed and she does not seem to be up to date with her technology skills. Why isn't anyone on here pointing out that the fault is the doctor's: He isn't hiring more staff; he isn't insisting she have 21st century skills. Perhaps the doctor who keeps getting ratings of 5 for helpfulness should hire another office administrator (even a part time one who could just be in charge of email contacts and receiving reports from specialists, and giving follow through on the reports) while Susan just answers phones and books the specialist appointments.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2017

To the writer of June 20/2017. In fairness to Susan, have you taken into consideration that she answers the phone(s) for TWO doctors? That phone constantly rings. I've been with "Dr.K" since he took over from Dr. Wilkens, so you see I'm a veteran as well. The worst receptionist in my opinion was "Cathy".She was on the phone all the time with personal calls. Sarah wasn't quite as bad. Susan is the best. "Dr.K" has ordered specialist appointments for me as well, & Susan has ALWAYS done a follow up. If I've ever had a question about an appointment, she will either call them for me, or give me the number. I don't have a problem with that. Susan's response with "Beautiful, that's wonderful"...etc I'm sure was not intended as uncaring or cold. Her English is not the best, I'll admit to that, but she definitely is NOT uncaring. It most certainly can take 9-10 months to get a specialist appointment. I have experienced this myself. Some specialist appointments can be obtained sooner, but the average is well over 6 months. Susan can hardly be faulted for that. In summary, I disagree with the comments June 20/2017.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2017

Dr Kuwahara has been the doctor for my family since he took over from Dr. Wilkens. many years ago. He is a truly fantastic doctor. However, since they moved to the new location, it seems Susan is overwhelmed with her job. Specialist appointments are being overlooked in error. I was advised to discuss it with her directly by the Dr as she books the appointments. She told me she doesn't have the time to follow up and book appointments for me and gave me the telephone numbers for 2 to call myself. The third was never booked. The fourth she never called me to tell me about the appointment (I have been advised it's the patient's responsibility to call in to see if a specialist appointment was booked which is a new procedure as she doesn't have the time.) These appointments were requested in either Sept or Oct 2016. I called her yesterday to state that I no longer needed an appointment with the dermatologist as the cyst got infected and I went to a walk in clinic, the clinic is booking the surgeon. Her response? "Beautiful! That's wonderful! I will take it off the list". Now that is a very cold, uncaring response. An infected cyst can poison your system. The receptionist is the support to the doctor and has to ensure that the doctor's requests are done. She is either overwhelmed at the new location or no longer likes her job. If overwhelmed, then they need to hire more staff. In regards to it taken time for a specialist appointment, it takes a couple of months to get a booking for a future appointment. It does not take 9-10 months to get a response from a specialist. she needs to ensure the specialist appointments are a priority as if something goes sideways with a patient because of the failure to book a specialist appointment, he will get sued, not her.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2017

I love Dr. Kuwahara and Susan. Both have been the most caring and wonderful people I could have ever asked to have as my GP. Dr. Kuwahara is such a soft spoken man who is alway caring and empathetic to my health concerns. He listens to his patients, and genuinely cares deeply. I love this man, and have so much respect for him and his work. He is a gem of a doctors who is not in it for status and money. ❤️

flag | Submitted April 19, 2017

To the writer of Nov. 22/2016...I do agree about the phones..it can be difficult at times, but perhaps it's the timing of the calls. Phoning the office right at 9am may not be a good idea as the Dr. or receptionist may be retrieving phone messages at that time. Also, the lines can be very busy because the receptionist is answering the phone for not just Dr. Kuwahara, but for Dr. Der as well, One call comes through, then another right after. Lunch time is 12-1Pm., so no point in calling then. I have found though, that Friday afternoons at approx. 3pm..is next to impossible to get through the line, but that doesn't bother me. As for finding another doctor, would you truly trade Dr. K because of this? Only you can make that decision, but I think you would regret it, plus the fact that getting a new doctor could be a hard job. True, there isn't any email, but this is the way the office works.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2017

Some have written about how difficult it seems to get through the telephone lines. The receptionist is answering the phone for TWO doctors..Kuwahara AND Dr Der. I have been in the office many times to hear the phones constantly going off. The receptionistno sooner finishes one call then another comes through. I honestly don't know how she manages to get other work done, yet she always manages to be pleasant & helpful. Calling right at 9am may not easy good idea as the office is just opening & messages are being retrieved. As for referrals not being made I don't think that's accurate. Many specialists take their sweet time in getting back to the doctor with an appt date especially Orthopaedic surgeons. They look at the referral & the details then decide when to set the appt date. It can take even a few months for them to get back to the doctor then say the appt is months away. This is hardly Dr K's receptionist's fault. While I agree the phone system is outdated, it is what it is. Please try to walk a mile in the receptionisis's shoes before criticizing her.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2017

To the writer of Jan.6/2017...Specialists retake their sweet time in getting back to Family Doctors. Some will take miponths then say your appt is months again down the road. They read the referral, what the problem seems to be, what tests etc had been done then decide on the timing. As for the office phones the receptionist is answering for TWO doctors..Dr Kuwahara AND Dr. Dear. Everytime I'm in the office the phone is constantly ringing. The receptionis no sooner hangs up on call, then another is coming through. I don't know how she manages to do other office responsibilities with such a busy phone constantly ringing. It would drive me bonkers yet she is always pleasant. I think people need to walk a mile in her shoes before criticizing.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2017