Ratings for Dr. Tom Millar

Dr.Millar seems like a nice doctor, he's pleasant and full of jokes however he's incredibly unprofessional when it comes to doing his actual job. I brought up a potential hormone imbalance that I was worried about and wanted to look into (this concern was brought on by several issues with my period) and he said dismissively "Don't worry- You're not a boy" . . . ummm yeah thanks I already know that? Having a hormone imbalance doesn't automatically mean you're transgender (not to mention how insanely insensitive and rude that would've been if I WAS transgender cause he is CLEARLY against it) If he had bothered to take the time to do his job and ask WHY I thought I had a hormone imbalance he would've learned the symptoms that have been bothering me monthly. Unfortunately due to bad anxiety-anxitey that is still untreated beacuse I haven't been able to discuss it with him because of said dismissiveness- I didn't press the matter any further at the time. Though I'm hoping to readdress it with him in the future. Wish it was easier to switch doctors because at this point going to see Dr. Millar just causes me extreme anxiety because I know it will be a struggle for me to actually have my problems addressed and dealt with rather than laughed off and dismissed.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2018

Been seeing him for over 22 years and in that time he has never examined me once, his nurse did it. Good for doling out medications and referrals to specialists he knows. Not happy if you suggest another specialist. I would change doctors in a heartbeat if I could, Always joking and laughing but that too sounds phony, Time to retire Tom.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2018

Well let's see, Dr. Millar dismissed my back pain entirely, stating I was too young for it to be my gall bladder (even though it sounded like it could be) and that the pain was because I was overweight. He then proceeded to SLAP MY BUTT and tell me it was because I "have an [butt*] that the guys like" and just needed to "work out and strengthen my core." When I returned a couple years later to complain about the same pain Dr. Millar all but dismissed me again only scheduling an body scan because I had insisted we at least do something and "didn't seem like the type to be after drugs" (which made me think they may have dismissed me the first time simply because I was young and experiencing a pain that I typically shouldn't have been) A year or so after this I figured out on my own that my pain was caused due to gall stones and that I needed an ultrasound. After sharing this with Dr. Millar he laughed at me, told me I wasn't a doctor and that I was too young to have gall stones but due to my concern still scheduled me an ultrasound that I ended up cancelling after being rushed to emerge to have my gall bladder REMOVED because it was so full of gall stones(and insanely inflamed.) I was given the option to have an immediate risky surgery (where other organs could've been nicked) or stay in pain for a month while taking pills to decrease the swelling so that they could remove it more safely. Either way it was way beyond the point of saving. Needless to say my quality of life has been very poor for several years now and I know it could have been avoided. I have NEVER received ANY follow up calls and when I've called in to find out my results the ladies on the phone are VERY rude and impatient. Oh, and don't bother showing up early to scheduled appointments as they never get you in on time (I once waited 3 hours in a basically empty waiting room, so maybe bring a book or something with you.) And sadly, this isn't even everything. *even this site is more polite than Dr. Millar, I'm sure you can guess the word he actually said

flag | Submitted December 31, 2017

Dr. Millar is caring for my elderly parents. I really wanted to like him given his upbeat disposition; however I need to say that my experience with him has not been so positive. In essence he is dismissive to the needs of my geriatric parents; in particular my 90 year old father whom Dr. Millar has basically decided has lived long enough and we should all be so lucky. We all know we can't live forever; however we need to consider quality of life for whatever we have left. As their daughter (out of town), I have asked to speak to him on the phone with my parents present to try to understand health concerns and plan of care as I am very involved. He refuses. I have asked for a referral to various specialists (geriatrician, GAIN services and CCAC); he either refuses or does not follow up. He has dropped the ball in monitoring and following up with investigations of symptoms experienced by my father. I have actually had to make referrals myself. My impression is that Dr. Millar sees his patients to fund his retirement and travel plans (as this seems to dominate appointment conversations with my mom and dad). Luckily; on one of his vacations, we saw another clinic physician who was covering for him. In the span of an hour, this lovely, caring man had us hooked up with many resources we are looking for. We finally have a plan. If you do not need complex, ongoing care, Dr. Millar will suffice. If you need a physician who will navigate, guide and inform you in a family-centred way - I would pass.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

Always caring and sends you to the right specialist if need be.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2017

A lot of complaining patients report their frustrations here. Most people complain when they are not feeling well. It's natural, and Dr. Tom Millar and staff know it but plough through with smiles. Tom and staff are amazing. He has treated my spouse and I with the utmost professionalism for years. I will miss him when retirement comes.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

I found doctor miller very funny til u get to know him and talks about his problems more than yours.Dr. m talks about his problems when u start to talk about whats rely important to u he will say thats not why your hear but its ok for him ,Ive waited up to half an hour for him to come in the waiting room while he was joking with his staff and talking about other peoples health problems, i have many problems and are most related and your only suppose to ask one 3 second question. This is only my a pinion but beware. Al lso very hard to get in to see him may take a month or they will say go to outpatients if u cant wait.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

Dr. Millar has been our long time family doctor caring for my 101 year old mother with personal care that has been extremely good, timely and caring. Tom Millar beis what a doctor should. Both Dr. Millar and staff make us proud to deal with their Clinic and realize that our health care is in great hands. Thank you for caring for and about our family.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

The comments here sum it up well: Rude, impatient, impossible to schedule an appointment or talk to someone on the phone, reception staff hate the world, only gives you a band aid solution for severe problems, doesn't listen to what you tell him, I have NEVER had a follow up appointment, rarely looks at medical records before talking to you (I went in with abdominal pain and was told it was likely appendicitis... only I had had emergency surgery a year before), good freaking luck if you have any sort of psychological issues. Overall, if you can find another doctor...do so. I know I will be as soon as I leave Peterborough.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2016

Patient for 7 years under Nurse Practitioner....never once met the man. Office staff are rude and make you feel as if it is a huge inconvenience for them to have to make an appt. for you. Am I mistaken in thinking that patients are their paycheque, should we feel that we are bothering them??

flag | Submitted November 15, 2014