Ratings for Dr. M. Matyas

He is a wonderful surgeon, but if you have the opportunity to get a second opinion ... why not?

flag | Submitted April 24, 2018

I recently visited Dr.Matyas after a referral from my doctor due to a breathing problem that is impacting my day-to-day life. After waiting months for this appointment, I was extremely disappointed. Firstly he was late coming back from his lunch break with 3 people waiting for him including a woman who was suffering from a severe spinal condition who was struggling to wait (she had been waiting for over 30 minutes). When I was finally seen (45 minutes late) he asked little questions but then concluded in quotes: "There is nothing I can do to help you". He had asked no background questions and did not do anything at this point besides touching my nose. Frustrated after waiting so long for this appointment I began to cry and he only started to engage once I had visibly made him uncomfortable. He then inspected my nose with a camera and gave the same first response. After I tried talking to him again about any options he mentions he didn't fully check the first time as he had "assumed" everything was fine. Extremely alarming that a doctor would be so sloppy to assume things. Of course, the entire time he is trying to rush me out- mind you this encounter was 15 minutes maximum at most. He finished the appointment again not listening to me and repeated himself he couldn't help. He did not suggest anything at all and told me I just needed to "deal with it" and "you are still breathing right". This was the most unprofessional experience I have ever had with a doctor. His lack of listening skills demonstrates the laziness of his work ethic. I agree with another reviewer anyone with children do not bring them here nor a female as he seems to typecast these types of people as "irrational". If you are suffering from anything where you are unsure he is the worst person to see - don't waste your time waiting for an appointment.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2018

Dr. Matyas has seen two of our sons. We will not be going back. In both cases, he was extremely dismissive, did not ask appropriate questions re developing a diagnostic history, and left us with no answers. We had begun to worry about our son's symptoms due to his inability to sing high notes (he sings in a choir). This combined with restlessness when sleeping and heavy breathing had us mildly concerned and we wanted to check it out. Though we were clear that the singing had simply brought the issue to our attention more acutely than his everyday symptoms (which are also very apparent), Dr. Matyas seemed to immediately decide that we were "helicopter" parents who wanted surgery on our son so he could be some kind of singing superstar. This was a huge leap in logic with no basis in fact since we were not asking for surgery and we only mentioned the singing as one of the ways in which his symptoms manifest. However, once he had "judged" us as wacky over-zealous parents, he was evidently not prepared to take us seriously. While he did look up our son's nose, he did not ask any other questions re his symptoms. Rather, he immediately went into a long diatribe about how he didn't see why we wanted a surgery where our son would have to go under general anesthetic and risk death over a desire to sing better. He mentioned death twice in front of our 9 year-old who upon leaving, is now terrified of ever having a surgery. This entire experience was unfortunately very similar to how the doctor dealt with our older son a few years previous. He seems to have no empathy with children, makes quick erroneous judgement calls and will not participate in a conversation with anything approaching listening skills. Maybe the doctor is fine with adults or cases that are more extreme, but if you have a child and you are just doing some basic investigative work, this is not the doctor for you. We feel angry and shocked at his general manner. To be clear, we are not helicopter parents and we are not hypochondriacs with regards to our children. We also like to be fair so we did not write this review until this visit which was our 4th visit (over a 5 year span), 2 with our older son and now 2 with this younger son. Each of the 4 visits were similar in tone and lack of help. We thought maybe after the 1st visit the doctor might have been having a bad day or whatever. 4 visits later, the pattern is apparent.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2018

Excellent surgeon and I have no complaints at all! Amazing, highly professional, very intelligent and everything in his hands! I highly recommend Dr. M. Matyas.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2018

Seen him twice. Seen many other ENTs in Canada and U.S. and this one is as professional as they come, top of scale. I will see him again for my on-going ENT issues. If I get another surgery, I trust him to give the optimal improvement.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2018

I'm surprised to see negative comments. I've seen this doctor many times and he is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The comment below about him rolling out of bed?? I love the fact that he is extremely casual and humble. Makes you feel comfortable. I had to wait, but as a specialist, I usually wait longer just to see a family doctor. And I love how his staff are loud and personable! It is a hearing clinic as well after all!

flag | Submitted March 2, 2018

Amazing at what he does! I have nothing but great things to say about Dr Matyas. I had my tonsils removed with him at age 22. After my appointment, I was able to schedule surgery within 2 months to have my tonsils removed. I was in university and he was very accommodating to my schedule. Even after the procedure, he moved around appointments to see me early so that I could return to school. He is on the "serious" side... but he is an ENT surgeon! He is a surgeon! Not rude or dismissive in any way, but does not sugar coat or baby! Wait times were very short, basically on time! I think people need to remember that they are seeing a SPECIALIST! Waiting 40 minutes to see such a highly rated doctor is seriously not bad in the least! Some speciality clinics you can be waiting HOURS! Would you rather him rush your appointment or run a little behind schedule?

flag | Submitted February 27, 2018

Dr. M. Matyas is extremely professional and knowledgeable. Good listener, doesn't rush you out. He is caring, kind and very helpful. The best ENT doctor in the city! Wonderful doctor! I trust him fully.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2018

Very kind and has a sense of humour. Doesn't rush patients out the door. Yes, be prepared to wait in the lobby but worth feeling like you are in good hands and someone is listening.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2018

Very knowledgeable, very helpful, extremely good doctor!! I highly recommend Dr. Matyas.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2017