Ratings for Dr. M. Matyas

I have been a patient of his for over 4 years. He performed nasal polyp removal on me twice in that time,without any complications. He is thorough in his examinations and explanation of my problems. I would recommend Dr.Matya to anyone with nasal ,sinus issues.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2016

I found Dr. Matyas uninterested in my problem, had no personality, and was very cold when a nose exploratory seemed to gag me. He told me shortly that there was no cure for my problem & to use tissue to keep the problem in check. He reminded me that older people have these problems & perhaps I could just get used to it.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2016

For both the first and the follow-on appointment, we waited over 45 minutes with our toddler, surrounded by much older patients. When we were finally seen, he was not impressed that our now fussy toddler was playing with a tongue depressor. His assessment was fluid in the ears, he didn't want to risk surgery because our 15-month old may die but this would cause language delay, come back in 3 months. At the follow-up, the fluid was still there, and Dr. Matyas appeared excited that surgery was now necessary. Does he get paid more for surgery? No explanation of the surgery itself, only assurances it was needed and right away for language development - but we would have to wait 6 months, not because the operating rooms were in high demand, but only because of his schedule. We asked for a hearing test at CHEO, he didn't see the point and had to press him for the referral. When we did have a hearing test at CHEO, the technicians there said the hearing test was very important in order to document (which is how children get prioritized at CHEO). Our son is now 21-months, non-verbal and we are still waiting on a surgery date. His staff are cranky, which I attribute to working under him.

Submitted October 25, 2016

I have had tonsil problems since I was a child, I am now in my twenties. I went to two different nose and throat specialists before Dr. Matyas and both didn't address my tonsils. They told me it might be my sinuses or my nose. I have been in and out of the doctors offices for years with tonsillitis and tonsil stones trying to convince someone to take out my tonsils. I only had to wait about 20-30 minutes for the appointment with Dr. Matyas and within minutes he had vetoed out my nose and sinuses as the problem and suggested a tonsillectomy to fix my tonsil issues. He was quick and polite. He doesn’t ask many questions and is blunt about the procedure. It’s exactly what I needed. I would 100% recommend him. Side note: His staff were hilarious. We were cracking jokes with them in the waiting room.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2016

I really liked Dr. Matyas. I found him to be very knowledgeable, helpful, and even cautious about deciding on the need for surgery or not. He was patient and kind to my 4 yr old son. I feel good about having him as our ear specialist and trust his judgement.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2016

My daughter has been seeing Dr Matyas since she was just over 3 yrs she is now 11yrs. He has put tubes in, tonsils and adenoids out. He is WONDERFUL! I strongly believe if it was not for him my daughter would be deaf today.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2015

I Just had a noise surgery with Dr Matyas and everything went perfect. He was friendly and polite.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2015

My 3 children have been followed by Dr. Matyas for years (14 years!) and they have all had surgery by Dr. Matyas. I have seen him for my own issues. While I don't find him warm and cuddly, I do find him to be very polite and extremely competent. His personality doesn't lend itself to chumminess and joking around, but I have notice that he tries! I would definitely recommend him. I do find that you have to wait a little too long for your scheduled appointment though. I don't have much patience for that.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2015

I was extremely disappointed with this doc. He was very arrogant and treats you like a textbook science experiment. My family doctor had sent me for a CT scan after daily migraines began worsening, which seemed to be coming from issues with my allergies and sinuses. After being diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and severe thickening of my sinus walls, my family doc put me on three weeks of antibiotics. When I told 'Dr. No Personality' that, he said, 'I don't know why your doctor would even bother. I could walk out on the street and find 60% of the people I talk to with the same issue and THEY aren't complaining.' When I asked him a question about why sometimes I hear echoing in my ear and lose hearing, he said, 'you'll have to get a hearing test. I don't deal with ears.' Strange thing, seeing how he is qualified as an EAR, nose, throat doctor. He stuck his camera up my nose with no warning, and when I almost fainted, he had no sympathy and seemed to try and rush me out of his office as if he didn't know what to do with me. Terrible doctor - no bedside manners or respect for his patients. Is always way behind and I don't know why because he tries to rush you out of his office as fast as possible. Would rather be put on a waiting list that is 10 times as long as his just to not have to see him again. The only good thing is the staff there were kind.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2015

I never leave reviews but wanted to take a few minutes to leave one for Dr. Matyas. I have been having mild hearing loss and the cause is unclear. He was thorough, extremely competent and most compassionate. I mentioned some worry about my head/brain and he referred me for an MRI mostly to reassure me and to ensure a thorough assessment. He was not dismissive like most physicians and even called himself to reassure me of the findings.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2015