Ratings for Dr. Douglas Coleman

DO NOT GO TO THIS DOCTOR. I stumbled upon this website and immediately looked up this doctor to find out how others would rate him. I can assure you that he wrote some of his own reviews, because this man is a complete train wreck. I was referred to him by a colleague of his. I'm pretty sure he was on drugs himself when I was there, rambling and sweating profusely. He confided details of other patients and his colleague's struggles, family, you name it. Completely unprofessional, extremely rude and aggressive, there's plenty of help out there, skip this guy he should not be practicing. Waste of time and money.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2016

This man should not be practicing any type of medicine. As an addiction specialist he simply refers you to a 12 step program and has you come back for 'accountability appointments' or should I say additional payments from tax payers. He is very rude and not professional or empathetic to people with very serious medical issues. Do Not Go to this Person

flag | Submitted January 20, 2016

In this day and age it makes a refreshing change to meet a Doctor like Dr Coleman. I will celebrate 20 years of sobriety tomorrow and Dr Coleman had a big part in getting me started on the road to recovery. Sure he can be short at times but if you had to deal with so many people in the early stages of recovery you may be a little short yourself. His knowledge of recovery is second to none and of the people i have sent to him he has helped them all out in a caring way. Thank you for your help. George M

flag | Submitted January 3, 2016

I totally agree with the comments submitted by a former client on February 6, 2015. This doctor's approach to addictions - (the archaic, 75-year old 12-step programme) has been proven to be ineffective scientifically. New research has found the success rate to be in the 5 to 10% range. Even AA admits to a "unscientific" success rate of only 30%. Additionally, a number of AA 12-step requirements have been proven harmful. This doctor makes a good living promoting a treatment which today's medical specialists are opposed to. Why? Because that's all he knows. How can he now change course in mid stream? He wont. It would be the end of his livelihood. I want to underscore the comments made on February 6, 2015. If you feel this doctor has acting unprofessionally file a complaint immediately with the BC COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS. As a final note, former patients strongly suspected this doctor has people writing bogus, positive reviews.

Submitted April 2, 2015

If you have had a problem with this doctor file a complaint with the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons Complaints Department online . Doctors are obligated to operate their medical practice using evidenced based science. It is unethical for a doctor to ignore science and base his medical practice soley on a religeous self help group such as AA that may have been helpful for him.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2015

I was referred to Dr. Coleman for rapid detox. This treatment was $7500. It cost me $50 to see him for a consultation. He then told me I was an excellent candidate for this program. I was told to pay $1500 upon my next visit which I did. After I paid he almost immediately told me I wasn't a good candidate and told me the money was non-refundable. Do not trust this crooked doctor!

flag | Submitted October 2, 2014

Dr. Coleman is one of the most caring doctors you could hope to meet. Although his honesty sometimes stings, it will save your life. I know, because it saved mine!

flag | Submitted May 10, 2012

I just passed my fifteen year anniversary of being sober and I am now online trying to find Dr.Coleman's address so I can send him a thank you card for all his help. I'm not surprised at how many people here dislike him. He is not in practice to hold your hand and give you sympathy. He is fighting addiction and he can sense b.s. a mile away. When I was in early recovery I went to his office in an extremely angry state. I was angry and indignant that I had taken back my wife and she had screwed around on me again. I thought Coleman would understand how I felt and at least empathize with someone who was going through a tough time. Instead he heard my whiny spiel, said "Your attitude is terrible and you are on the road to relapse" and walked out. I was amazed. I cursed him internally for about fifteen minutes, half the way home, until I realized....he's right. And if I don't let go of this, I'll be **** soon. Thank you for truth instead of sympathy Doug. Sympathy kills ****s! Herb S.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2011

i wrote this and want to thank dr. coleman and his staff for assisting in my continuing recovery.thinking what for all the problems of the world? they are for thinking how to save all? they are for thinking the mind is a beautiful thing they are for thinking beautiful thoughts - save the world they are for thinking who are you in this place? they are for thinking every thing you say or do they are for thinking feeling sorrow about the ones who left you behind they are for thinking loss and hardship they are for thinking and then a thought about peace they did not think and peace fills the heart they did not think a moment to rest they are not thinking THERESA WALKER

flag | Submitted August 30, 2011

I feel very fortunate to have stumbled upon this web site. If my comments disuade just 1 person from seeing this guy I will have performed a valuable service. The naysayers herein have pretty much said it all. Just read every negative comment-that is Dr. Coleman in a nutshell. The words that come to my mind most strongly are: arrogant, beyond-rude, argumentative, my way/highway, unprofessional, unscholled, ego issues, low EI & perhaps emotionally suspect. I'm seriously considering a formal complaint with the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons as I believe disciplinary action may be warranted. This man is not fit to practise medicine in my view. Of further significance is the fact he is not certified by the "Canadian Society Of Addiction Medicine" unlike several addiction doctors in the greater Vancouver area. Please don't give up. There are good professionals out there who'll treat you with kindness, dignity and respect. Search online, call "Fraser Health". HELP'S THERE, FIND IT!

flag | Submitted July 27, 2011

Dr. Douglas Coleman's Credentials

• University of Calgary Medical School (Grad. 1983)

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.

Updates

• A new 1-star rating has been posted. "DO NOT GO TO THIS DOCTOR. I stumbled upon this website and immediately looked up this doctor to find out how others would rate him. I can assure you that he wro..."

May 1, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "This man should not be practicing any type of medicine. As an addiction specialist he simply refers you to a 12 step program and has you come back for 'accounta..."

January 20, 2016
  • A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "In this day and age it makes a refreshing change to meet a Doctor like Dr Coleman. I will celebrate 20 years of sobriety tomorrow and Dr Coleman had a big part ..."

January 3, 2016
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I totally agree with the comments submitted by a former client on February 6, 2015. This doctor's approach to addictions - (the archaic, 75-year old 12-step pro..."

April 2, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "If you have had a problem with this doctor file a complaint with the BC College of Physicians and Surgeons Complaints Department online . Doctors are obligated ..."

February 6, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "I was referred to Dr. Coleman for rapid detox. This treatment was $7500. It cost me $50 to see him for a consultation. He then told me I was an excellent candid..."

October 2, 2014