Ratings for Dr. Mary Devassy

She was my doctor for a WHILE ALMOST w/out issue. I was OKAY with the long WAIT because she was a Doctor who 'put her patients first' & so she was WORTH the wait. My ISSUE with her: she DISRESPECTED&SHAMED me SO BADLY one time that I NEVER WENT BACK to her--I was 20 & not sexually-active but thought it was time for a pap smear she'd NEVER even MENTIONED having one (bec. of sex. status) but said OKAY when I asked. She had problems trying to DILATE me (full bladder from WAITing so LONG for her in the little room!!) She kept raising her voice (almost yelling), TELLING me to RELAX. I told her I COULDN'T relax and that I had to empty my bladder and that that would be my best CHANCE at relaxing-how CAN you relax down there when you're trying to hold your urine?! She so ANGRILY told me that "No!!" & that "we'd have to do this the NEXT time". I WAS THE ONE THAT ASKED for this test in the FIRST place and here she was ANGRY?! WTH and SHAME on YOU I was vulnerable and you made me feel like ****!!

flag | Submitted January 2, 2012

Dr. Devassy is one of a kind. She is a fantastic doctor who obviously went into medicine to help people. She is caring, thoughtful and very knowledgeable. I was lucky enough to be her patient in an outpatient clinic in Toronto and she diagnosed an issue quickly and provided effective treatment. However, it is her kind words and encouragement that I will remember as I face my health issues. I only hope that she considers a part time position to teach future doctors on the importance of patience and empathy in the field of medicine.

flag | Submitted August 2, 2009

We miss Dr. Devassy so much. She had been our family doctor for over 30 years and had such a caring attitude towards her patients. During that length of time, of course, many personal matters arose, and she listened in a non-judgmental manner, with great compassion and patience. I'm sure such things are not covered by OHIP, and her generosity of time was greatly appreciated, perhaps never so much as when she left her practice and we no longer had her. She deserves a rest. As far as her staff is concerned, she had many very good people who quite naturally progressed in their careers and left; some of the replacements may not have been as personable, but many of them were excellent.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2009

Guaranteed wait 45mins but willing to answer all questions and address all concerns.... her secretary however is not the most pleasant or patient.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2007

Dr. Devassy has been our family Doctor for 34 yrs. & has provided us with the best care one could ask for. She has been available usually the same day but for sure the next. Even when away on vacation she has provided the same coverage for her patience through her partner. She is extraordinarily dedicated to her practice & takes personal interest in your well being. She will be missed by all her patiences when she retires in the next few years, not easily replaced.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2007

This is a great family doctor who takes the time to discuss everything you may question her on. She will also take you in when her schedule is full, even though it may cut into her family life. She will also take the time to calm the patient's fears about upcoming procedures or tests and is especially gentle with children. If it wasn't the fact I had moved away, I would still have her as my family doctor. My daughter and family kept her on as their doctor.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2007