Ratings for Dr. Waldi Wilken

Dr. Wilken was my family doctor for more than ten years. There are a couple of issues at play with respect to Dr. Wilken's performance as a Doctor. The first issue is the 10 minute appointment slots do not work for Dr. Wilken. Dr. Wilken is unable to manage his patient time in these slots and therefore creates a significant backlog for future patients in the day. You can expect to wait 30 - 60 minutes past your appointment time, every time you see him because of this issue. As a results of being behind it seems that Dr. Wilken is in a rush to get you in and out that sometimes you may not get the attention that you need during your appointment. Many other Calgary family doctors use 15 minute time slots in order to manage this very issue. Another issue is the lack of follow-up on results, there were several times where the testing I had performed recommended further testing and there should have been a follow up from the clinic that did not occur. I had to book my own follow-up appointments to ensure that my issues were being followed. One positive for Dr. Wilken is that he is good with providing referrals when required, a number of my health issues needed to be resolved by specialists and Dr. Wilken was proficient in referring the issue along to the appropriate specialist. Finally, the pager system that they use to call you in for an appointment is the most impersonal thing I have ever observed in a Dr. office setting. I would recommend that they look to their neighbours on the other side of the office and call the patients in by name, little things that are easy to do but show that you care about the personal side of the relationship. I have found another doctor and thankfully don't have to come to this clinic again.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2017

Dr Wilken has helped both my husband and I with mental health, stress /sleep issues, skin infections, severe chronic back pain, and serious gut issues that ended up being crohn's diagnosis. I appreciate his throughness.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2017

I just need to leave this comment. I've read dozens of reviews of doc's, both good and bad. But basically all pretty glum. After coming from the states and having an incredible level of health care to coming to socialized medicine. What I am left with is, socialized medicine is NOT good medicine. It doesn't matter how a doctor treats you, they get paid anyway.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

This man should not be a doctor. He does not listen. He can't wait to move on to the next patient. It almost feels like he's obligated to be in the office. Does not care about his patients and is absolutely a horrendous doctor. Do yourself a favor and avoid this man as a doctor.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2015

This man should not even be referred to as a doctor!

flag | Submitted April 22, 2015

I am surprised as well. I have found Dr Wilken to be open to discussion and very helpful with me and my family for over 10 years. Particularly his caring and understanding of our special needs daughter. Staff have always been helpful. System works like a charm.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2014

I honestly don't understand the negative comments left in regards to Dr. Wilken. He has been our primary GP for the last 18 years and he has been completely professional and knowledgeable in every aspect of our care. His caring and warm demeanour is the reason we continue to be dedicated patients.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2014

I have been dealing with Dr. Wilken for several years and have consistently found him to be competent, knowledgeable and patient with my questions. One of the better GPs I have dealt with on all counts.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2014

Arrogant , doesn’t listen to concerns, unable to articulate details of analysis, refused to do testing. No real medical knowledge.

Submitted February 14, 2014

He was late by an hour with no acknowledgement of it. Also really doesn't listen to his patients.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2013