Ratings for Dr. William Parker

I cannot begin to describe how grateful I am to have found Dr. Parker to be my surgeon in the removal of my 27(!) fibroids. Before I describe my story, you need to know that I have always been the most diligent individual about my gynecological health. Since I was 15, I went to every annual check-up without missing the one-year mark by a day, I never took birth control pills, and I got my periods on the dot every 26-28 days. I wanted to make sure I was healthy so that when I decide to get pregnant, everything would be easy. Unfortunately, some things we simply cannot prevent. About a year ago, I realized something was wrong when my periods were so heavy that they prevented me from essentially functioning on at least one of the days during the cycle. I had numerous conversations with my OB/GYN at the time about it and each time he assured me that it was probably nothing and likely a result of flying between two cities too often. It was July 2015 when I called him the first time and I just had my annual check-up in February. After doing some extensive research on my own, I naturally panicked reading about fibroids, endometriosis and other horrors. Despite my fears, my doctor did not think it was anything. In November of 2015, my fiance finally convinced me to make an appointment with the doctor and do an ultrasound. During the appointment, my doctor had to only feel my stomach with his hands before he got a worried look on his face and asked me how old I was. "30," I said with my heart dropping when I heard his tone. He performed an ultrasound and promptly and coldly informed me that I have 4-5 fibroids and will need to monitor them to make sure they don't grow bigger. I felt like I got hit by a ton of bricks. How could this be? I had a healthy diet, I exercised, and I protected that part of my body so carefully my whole life. And most importantly, I was getting married in less than a year and more than anything I wanted to be able to have kids. I went to five different doctors before I found Dr. Parker. I was told my chances of getting pregnant could be slim to none, that I may need a hysteroctomy in the middle of my procedure, and that even if the uterus remains intact, the fibroids will inevitably grow back within a few months. I tried all types of low estrogen diets, spent thousands of dollars on naturopath doctors, supplements, and tests. Everything came back normal. Except my uterus, of course. I wanted to avoid surgery but after an MRI showed about 15 fibroids ranging in 1-9cm in size, I knew I had no choice. I was about to settle on a doctor who did not sound very optimistic when my fiance and I found Dr. Parker via a simple Google search. The information on his website and the reviews were so comforting that I had to meet with him. During my first appointment with Dr. Parker, I knew that I found "my doctor" who I could trust. He made me feel comfortable and assured that this was not the end and that if the surgery is done right, it will not hurt my chances of getting pregnant. It was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I trusted him completely right there and then. When I arrived for surgery, Dr. Parker met with me to see if I had any questions and again assured me that everything will be ok. You really don't know how important it is to have a doctor who is this caring until you are in the hospital preparing for a surgery that everyone told you could take away your ability to have children. When I woke up from the surgery, I was told there were 27 fibroids that were removed. I wanted to cry but I also felt a sense of relief when I was told everything went well. That night, after the general anesthesia wore off, Dr. Parker called me at the hospital to explain the surgery in details. During the entire recovery, Dr. Parker was always checking in on me and always available for any questions or concerns I had. I cannot express the amount of gratitude I have for Dr. Parker. I feel like I have my life back again. I feel energy, my periods have gotten much better, and I cannot wait to try having kids later this year. I was a step away from making the biggest mistake of my life and going with the wrong surgeon. Dr. Parker is simply a gift to women suffering with this terrible ailment and I urge you to talk to him first before wasting your time and nerves meeting with doctors who do nothing except terrify women into thinking there are no options. Thank you, Dr. Parker for your immense understanding, caring, and undeniable skills.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2016

I saw Dr. Parker in March 2013 to have an abdominal myomectomy to remove 11 fibroids with the largest being the size of a cantaloupe. Doctors in my city just wanted me to have a hysterectomy (in my opinion because it would be easier for them- lacked the expertise), but being 37 years old at that time and still wanting to have kids someday, I was not willing to have a hysterectomy. Dr. Parker was able to remove all of the fibroids, and stated that the cantaloupe size fibroid was the easiest to get. His knowledge, expertise, and skill is a vital asset to his patients and the medical community.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2016

I was seen by Dr. Parker from April 2014 until July 2015, when I had my fibroid removed. From start to finish, not only was Dr. Parker thoughtful and sentimental to the struggle it was to live with fibroids, he took the time to speak with me and my mother, via speakerphone, to explain what my surgical options were, the details of the surgery, as well as the length of time to heal/ what to expect. I almost get tearful thinking about how pleasant the process was with him, despite my fear of having to have surgery. I’m really grateful for Dr. Parker as he was patient and thoughtful. In my experience, sometimes the longer a medical professional has been doing his job the less engaging they are with patients and their families. The true doctors, the ones who take the time to see a human patient, not just a number, are rare these days. I’m so incredibly grateful that I did not have that experience, especially with a surgery so important to me. Thank you, Dr. Parker.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2016

Dr. Parker removed 16 fibroids -- 2 the size of softballs -- and one large cyst on my ovary. He peeled back the cyst, removed it, then reconstructed the ovary. Having these finally out was life changing. There were physical changes -- I could breath easier and wasn't constantly fighting nausea -- and there were emotional changes. I literally woke up happy. Many women I've spoken to who have had their 'girl parts' altered or removed (NOT what Dr. Parker does -- he saves them!) said they experienced harsh emotions such as anger or sadness. I was the opposite. I felt amazing as soon as I woke up, calmer and happier than I'd felt in over a decade. It wasn't the drugs because now, 4 months later, I still feel this way plus my energy is through the roof and I'm thinner. There were no complications. Dr. Parker's surgery was perfect. Dr. Parker's philosophy on medicine: Return the patient to her previously healthy state. Simple, yet so few doctors have this view. I'm from Cleveland, Ohio and 3 OBGYN surgeons told me that I 'required' a hysterectomy for fibroid removal. Their excuses: 1. You don't need your girl parts anyway. 2. There might be too much bleeding if we attempt to remove ONLY the fibroids. 3. Lets eliminate the possibility of ovarian cancer. Synthetic estrogen is perfectly safe (so why don't the male docs. have their gonads removed and take fake testosterone for the rest of their lives if it's so great?) Finally, a doctor leveled with me. She was an OBGYN who had practiced for over 40 years. She explained that the real reason most surgeons don't want to take out ONLY the fibroids is because they simply are NOT skilled. Fibroid removal is a specialty. There are very essential nerves and blood vessels in that area -- Nerves that keep you continent and blood vessels that feed your organs. Dr. Parker has 30+ years experience doing over 100 fibroid surgery removals/year ( 3000+ surgeries). Advice for out-of-staters: Get a National Health insurance plan that covers out-of-state doctors. I got mine through Anthem. If you're worried about travel expenses to have surgery done away from home, it wasn't that bad -- an airline ticket, a car and 7-10 days stay via Airbnb was about $1000. Whatever you choose to do, I would highly recommend reading through Dr. Parker's web site before making a decision. VERY informative. Lastly, Dr. Parker is simply a wonderful, PROFESSIONAL, caring very smart man. I am so lucky he was my surgeon -- Dr. Parker was one of the best decisions I've made in my lifetime.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2016

I've had fibroids for at least 20 years, but over the last 6 years my symptoms began to worsen. My periods were very painful; I was very anemic due to heavy flow; and the abdominal bloating/pressure and back pain were wearing on me. My period and the discomfort from the fibroids had taken over my life. I went back to my gyn only to be told that I needed to have a hysterectomy. When I opposed, I was told that I didn't need my uterus anymore and furthermore I should be concerned that the growth of fibroids could indicate cancer. I went for another opinion and was told pretty much the same. I was distraught, but it didn't push me to surgery as hoped. Instead I went looking and fortunately found Dr. Parker. He is nothing short of phenomenal. He reviewed my MRI with me; explained my options; and answered every question I had. As it turned out, I didn't need a hysterectomy and though it would have to be confirmed by pathology, he felt strongly that nothing in my MRI indicated cancer. Due to the size of my fibroids, I would have an abdominal myomectomy. Because Dr. Parker is exceptional, I benefited from the exceptional people that work with him. His office staff and staff at Santa Monica UCLA are the best of the best. I recently had my procedure and had 14 fibroids removed--no complications, no transfusion needed. I am 5 weeks post op and recovering well. My first period since the procedure was pain free, with normal flow. I am so happy that I found Dr. Parker. He saved my life by removing the fibroids and preserving my uterus! If you have fibroids, I highly recommend you see Dr. Parker. It was the best decision I ever made.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2016

Dr. Parker gave me my life back. I only wish I had sought his expertise out sooner. I suffered from uterine fibroids for years before I finally took care of myself. If you're sitting there reading a bunch of patient reviews, scared about the news that surgery is your only treatment option, and looking for a doctor who you can trust to take care of you, know that you certainly are not alone. Being a physician myself, I used all of the tools at my discretion to find the right gynecologist for me. Thankfully, my now husband who also is a physician is found Dr. Parker. I normally don't write reviews, but this one is so important. Even if you've seen one gynecologist before, I sincerely encourage you to go see Dr. Parker. He is the kind of person that made me want to be a doctor when I was a kid. He is a gifted gyn. surgeon whose level of expertise far exceeds that of your average gynecologist. Plus, he has an impeccable, personable bedside manner. Dr. Parker makes it a point to explore all aspects of your medical condition and treatment options with you in detail. All of the time he spent preparing me and my husband was a huge stress relief. I went into surgery knowing what to expect, and with complete confidence and faith in Dr. Parker's hands. I recovered from my laparoscopic myomectomy without any complications. I feel incredibly lucky to have received my healthcare from such a rare gem of a physician. I have nothing negative to say about him. Two of my close girlfriends have also been his patients, and they couldn't be happier with his care. If and when my husband ever have a baby shower, we will definitely be inviting Dr. Parker!

flag | Submitted March 25, 2016

I have never met a more personable, knowledgeable, confident, professional Doctor as Doctor Parker. My experience with him & his office staff was top notch. I am forever grateful to God that I found this doctor. He did what most doctors were telling me could not be done. I did not have any complications, and Doctor Parker followed up with me while I was hospitalized twice a day. I really appreciated his caring quality touch. He was very punctual and respectful of my appointment time. His office staff was so friendly , & they were just as personable as he was. Awesome job!

flag | Submitted March 24, 2016

Never have I trusted a doctor so much. Dr. Parker is top of the pops. Ladies, if you are suffering from fibroids, go see this man. You will not be sorry!

flag | Submitted March 24, 2016

Dr William Parker is the best in the field. He has helped and helping many women. I definitely recommend him. He is an expert in his field. He did my abdominal myomectomy (Feb 29, 2016). Ladies, you have other options besides hysterectomy. Most GYNs do not have the skills and expertise like Dr Parker so most of the time physicians will just recommend hysterectomy. I am so glad I found him because I have my uterus intact. I was already scheduled to have my hysterectomy, but after consulting with him, I cancelled my surgery with my previous GYN.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2016

I feel like my perspective on fibroids and surgeons are different than most and that is why I want to share my experience with other women regarding Dr Parker. I sell a medication for Fibroids and I know most of the leading physicians in this field. I have actually been trained and seen and touched the equipment they use during surgery. Obviously I have a very informed perspective and I know the reputation and skill sets of the surgeons in this field. I had a previous consultation with another leading physician and I just didn't feel comfortable with him as I do with Dr Parker. I have been suffering with horrible cramps, pelvic pain and pressure for many years due to my fibroids. I looked like I was 5 months pregnant during my menstruation. But I grew up with my mom constantly telling me that this was normal and that she had them also. But it seemed like amongst my friends I was the only one who suffered so much during and right before her period, not to mention constant pelvic pressure all month long. Dr Parker informed me of all of my options and was very knowledgeable. He set the expectations out very clearly with amazing follow up on email and office visits. I think it is very important to know exactly what to expect and be prepared for post op and he gave me all the tools to do that. He has the best bed side manner of any obgyn I have been to. He was constantly reassuring and super confident in our outcomes. His surgery center was very well organized with some of the kindest most competent nurses and staff. Overall I could not have asked for a better experience. I had one huge fibroid and 2 smaller ones removed and some endometriosis excised. I already look and feel so much better 2 weeks post surgery. I highly recommend Dr Parker and I am excited to live a more comfortable life during and in between my menstruation.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2016

Dr. William Parker's Credentials

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1974)

HealthPartners