Dr. William Parker

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. William Parker

I had a fibroid the size of a watermelon and thirteen others that were smaller in size. Needless to say, the location of the bigger fibroid gave me a myriad of problems including high blood pressure, gastrointestinal issues and constant rib/back pain. The smaller ones sat right on top of my bladder causing me to leak urine. After years of being rejected by doctors because they were either incompetent or did not want to give me the option of having a myomectomy, I finally met Dr. Parker. With so many prior negative experiences with different gynecologists, I was not sure what to expect. Thankfully, I quickly realized that besides being an incredibly competent doctor and expert in his field, Dr. Parker is an extremely genuine and warm person. I had never before felt so safe in a doctor's care. Long story short, the "watermelon" and the rest of the fibroids were removed. I am now almost 6 weeks post-op and my quality of life has greatly improved. At the same time, I am grateful that once I fully recover from surgery, the possibility of having children is still possible since my uterus was retained. There are just no words to adequately describe my immense gratitude toward Dr. Parker for doing what no other doctor was able to do. Thank you, Dr. Parker! If you are suffering from fibroids, please check out his website: http://www.fibroidsecondopinion.com/

flag | Submitted May 19, 2018

Dr. Parker is amazing! He takes his time with patients and is available for questions after the office visit. He and his staff made sure that I was taken care of after fibroid surgery. For fibroids, he is the doctor to see!

flag | Submitted April 27, 2018

When I went to see Dr. Parker I was scared and nervous about the size of my fibroids. He helped me understand the options that were available to me and explained everything in detail. When it came time to do the open myomectomy he was wonderful and his staff took such great care of me. I'm so grateful for the time and care he took with me and my life is so much better post surgery.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2018

In late 2015, I saw my physician about my fibroids which were getting very large, ( the biggest around 15cm) and were causing problems for me. My OBGYN, who was highly recommended, stated I should have a hysterectomy, even though my cancer screening was negative. When I asked her if she could perform a myomectomy so I could keep my uterus and ovaries, she was not even willing to discuss it, or provide clear rationale as to why she would not do it. I kept putting off the surgery even though they had me scheduled two different times. I was enduring heavy, painful periods and the fibroids were pressing on my bladder and kidney. I managed to hang on until I found Dr. Parker's website in the summer of 2017. I sent an email with my ultrasound results and fortunately he agreed to a consultation. It took 5 months along with an uncomfortable MRI, but I saw Dr. Parker in December 2017 where he told me it was totally feasible to remove the fibroids leaving the uterus and ovaries intact. We scheduled the surgery for January right then and there. It is now February and I am recovering from a successful surgery. It is hard to express how happy I am with the results. It is such a wonderful feeling to have those things gone and still have all my normal female functions intact. I have friends and relatives who have had hysterectomies and they are almost all suffering from it in one way or another. I just wonder how many of them could have had myomectomies if only there were enough skilled surgeons. So many thanks to Dr. Parker and his staff and all involved with my care at UCSD Health. Dr. Parker is a caring, down to earth and completely approachable person. I am happy too, knowing Dr. Parker is training many other doctors in the surgical techniques he has perfected, it is sorely needed. I hope Dr. Parker will be able to practice for a long time so he can help many more women.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2018

5 stars are not enough! I would be living in a profoundly different reality had it not been for Dr. Parker. I would have had to endure a high risk, and unnecessary hysterectomy that would have thrown me into immediate menopause and made me dependent on external hormones. Fortunately, I found Dr. Parker in time. I had a very large fibroid tumor, 6 inches in diameter, and several smaller ones. The doctors I was seeing in Northern CA told me I needed to have and immediate full hysterectomy. Their reasons: "Just to be safe in case it's cancerous, and since I'm done having kids, I don't need those organs anymore." I was horrified that someone could so causally offer to remove my organs and treat them as disposable! I started doing my own research for other options, and found Dr. Parker's website called FibriodsSecondOpinion.com. Everything on his website made sense to me. I shared the site and one of the studies with my doctor, and asked why I couldn't simply remove just the tumor and leave my organs in tact (myomectomy). He admitted that he didn't perform that procedure, but supported my desire to seek out a doctor that could. So I traveled to Santa Monica to see Dr. Parker. When I met him to review the test results his office needed, I was immediately impressed with his knowledge, his directness, and his willingness to spend time to fully answer all of my questions. I felt heard, and validated. He assured me that I did not have cancer as the docs in Northern CA were postulating. a myomectomy was the best and safest surgery in my case, and I didn't need to sacrifice healthy organs just because I'm done having kids. I had never been faced with surgery before, and had a tremendous amount of fear at the thought of having open abdominal surgery, but Dr. Parker's expertise, and years of experience convinced me he was the only person I wanted to perform the procedure. I came through it with awesome results, the incision healed beautifully, and now, 5 months later, I am getting feeling back from the numbness created from the incision. Dr. Parker and his team at UCLA in Sana Monica were all amazing! It is no surprise that he was voted Best Doctor by the entire hospital staff. He is professional, thorough, THE expert in his field, with a great sense of humor. I am so very grateful to him, and I so deeply appreciate that he dedicates his time teaching new doctors how to perform procedures focused on organ conservation, so more women can be empowered with more choices regarding their health. I cannot thank you enough, Dr. Parker!

flag | Submitted November 17, 2017

If I could give Dr. Parker 10 stars I would but this only accepts 5. Dr. Parker is an extremely gifted surgeon and doctor. Generous, attentive and truly caring. I came to him with a really big fibroid. I am 37 years old and my fibroid was 17x10x11 cm. I wanted to do have a laparoscopic myomectomy because I didn’t wanted to go thru the abdominal surgery. Dr. Parker told me that it was possible to do it laparoscopically in spite of the size given the location of the fibroid. He assesses every patient individually and determines what is best for the patients. He listened to all my concerns and was very patient answering all my questions. His care team was also extremely generous. I had my surgery with him, it lasted 3 hours. No complications at all, average blood loss, no post surgery bleeding, no infections. The following day after my surgery the doctor called me personally to see how I was doing. He is so attentive and caring. After the surgery, the worst days were the day 2-3. After that it was just fatigue. The recovery was relatively quick. This doctor was able to remove this massive fibroid laparoscopically. Other doctors around would not dare do this. They will cut you open. But Dr. Parker has so so much experience on his side and he is so gifted and knowledgeable that he is able to performs his magic. 2 weeks after the surgery I had the post-op and everything was good! God bless him.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2017

Dr. Parker is a world class surgeon. You owe it to yourself to consult with him regarding any gynecologic surgery. I had a total hysterectomy performed by Dr. Parker and I wish I had done it years earlier. Dr. Parker is like an old fashioned Dr. that, unfortunately, you rarely find these days. He is easy to talk to and spends as much time as you need to understand your situation, options, benefits and risks. The surgery was much easier than I had feared. I only needed Tylenol for pain and was back on my feet very quickly. Dr. Parker and his staff are the best you will find anywhere.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2017

I was originally diagnosed with very large fibroids in December of 2016 at 33 years old. The largest was 11 cm or the size of a grapefruit as told by my gynecologist. She told me my uterus was the size of a five month pregnant woman and one of her recommendations was a hysterectomy. I decided to do some more research and found Dr. Parker at UCLA. Right away he sent me in for a MRI, my first consultation with him was amazing. I sat in his office and he had charts and studies on almost every single question I asked him. He gave me several options on what we could do. After going all of those options I proceeded with a myomectomy. I felt very confident with my decision and he and his staff made me feel very comfortable with my decision and I no longer felt frightened. Dr. Parker also had a cell saver in his operating room as I had requested bloodless surgery. He did not need to use this machine but it was available in case and he always respected my wishes. After surgery I had the best care at UCLA, my nurses were amazing and loving. Dr. Parker called me from his cell phone to see how I was doing and he came in to see me both days. Dr. Parker removed my six fibroids and they weighed a total of two pounds. I've gone back for my pre-op appointments and all has been going really well. My scar is healing well as well. I am so happy that I found Dr. Parker. My uterus was saved, it's currently shrinking back to normal size and I'm healing well and met all milestones very quickly. I felt confident the entire time and I honestly must say that from the first consultation to the day of surgery and after, Dr. Parker is the best Doctor I have ever had. Not just for this issue but in all issues I've seen multiple Doctors for,such as fibroadenomas, dermatologists and general doctors, I just have never quite met a Doctor like him.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2017

Hi everyone, I wanted to share my personal experience and journey this year. I found out through an X-ray from another injury that I may have benign tumor and was told to seek a gynecologist immediately. Afraid of what it could be, I was able to see a gynecologist, Dr X, the following week who sent me for an ultrasound. Two weeks later, I was told by Dr X that it was indeed fibroids. According to Dr X, it may or may not be cancerous. When I asked how many fibroids? The response was too many too count. Now keep in mind, I have heard of fibroids, but when you hear you have fibroids, it sounds totally new and you want to be fully informed of the diagnosis and the options available. I was only told that it would be a myomectomy and a 50% chance of ovaries and uterus removal, and of course blood loss. The thought did not reassure me, and the doctor brushed off every question that I asked and in the middle of my third question he left the room and came back to tell me to seek this other doctor who would operate me! As if I would just follow his order and blindly get operated by his referral. Now, at that point it was a no thank you! Let me search for a second opinion. I went home and cried, went to church and found strength, and then I decided to do a full search outside the scope of my state and landed on Dr Parker! Jackpot! I knew instantly that if anyone would have to operate me it would be him, based on comments left by previous patients, his bedside manners, the hospital he was affiliated with and most importantly his knowledge and expertise. Dr Parker was very thorough prior to my consultation and suggested that I also get an MRI order from the doctor who diagnosed me with fibroids. Within a week my results were in, Doctor X tells me he isn't sure, he believes it is mass or a cyst of some sort, it might be cancerous. At that moment, my whole world fell apart. But I still kept the courage and drove to Doctor's X office get the report and mailed it Dr Parker. In the meantime Dr X told me to seek immediate consultation from Dr Y, who has a good reputation and is ob-gyn oncologist. Dr Y informs me that I do not have fibroids, and that it is a cyst, and tells me that we would have to perform a laparotomy, where they would cut open my abdomen vertically. The thought of possible infections during the procedure was entering my mind. I didn't feel reassured yet again, because of the conflicted diagnosis presented. I have asked to do a cancer-tumor markup, but do to my age the results may not be accurate, a blood test was also performed. The results came within 3 days and none revealed any signs of cancer. dr Y who promised to call me, never did but had her staff contact me to coordinate my surgery. I didn't feel comfortable. I opted to fly from the east to the west coast and see what my second opinion would say. I anxiously waited for my appointment with Dr Parker, which was a month later, he explained that it was indeed fibroids, and there were 2. One was bigger about 27cm and the second 8 to 10cm. He shared the MRI results with me in detailed as he explained while I was watching the 3D images of my abdomen and location of my fibroids,m. The best part is that I had 4 options, laparotomy and hysterectomy were not one of them. I chose the most suitable one for me, which was a myomectomy. Dr Parker was very thorough and I felt at ease and comfortable and trusted his work and his staff. The consultation lasted about an hour, maybe a bit longer as I had a lot of questions, and Dr Parker was extremely patient, resourceful, helpful and had a great humor, which I needed. The surgery went smoothly, it lasted about 3hrs. Dr Parker contacted me the afternoon after surgery, and came to see me the following two days to ensure my recovery was going well. Dr Parked and the nursing staff have excellent bedside manners. I cannot thank them enough for the care that I have received. Despite the circumstances, it was a truly memorable moment. I recommend Dr Parker to anyone who isn't sure and to always seek a second opinion. Before resorting to a hysterectomy, please do all your research. Do. It have all your organs removed, if it isn't necessary. Dr Parker is extremely knowledgeable and is the best in the industry. He has changed my life for the better, and he will always have a special place in my heart. Forever Grateful Rose

flag | Submitted September 11, 2017

I was diagnosed with a large fibroid in early 2013. I had never heard of fibroids but have since personally experienced how they can diminish the quality of life of a woman. Over the next four years, I consulted eight doctors and most of them told me that I must have my uterus removed (one was prepared to attempt a myomectomy, but said that he was not the doctor for me unless I accepted the possibility of an emergency hysterectomy). My fibroid was then at 10cm, and the size of a grapefruit. In my quest to seek the best health outcome, I think that I have heard it all in terms of what women seeking help are commonly told. Although I had taken time to research fibroids and to ask questions that would allow me to make an informed decision, I was told by two doctors that I was an “interesting woman” and an “expert patient” - neither in a complimentary way. Two doctors even recommended that I have a hysterectomy because it would be better for them! Time passed because I was not comfortable with this advice. I tried Focused Ultrasound treatment which relieved some symptoms for a short time, but the fibroid continued to grow until it was at 15cm and my uterus at 22 weeks. I was so uncomfortable, could not fit into my clothes or eat a normal meal without feeling sick, I had difficulty exercising and felt tired and low. I again sought help in early 2017, only to be told that I had no normal uterus and that there was nothing left to put together in a myomectomy; that my cervix was crushed; that I would need to have my uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix and possibly one ovary removed; and that a myomectomy was high risk, would result in a big scar, and could lead to uncontrollable blood loss. I was also told that I needed to act quickly due to the high risk of DVT because of the pressure of the fibroid on major veins. I emailed Dr. Parker that evening. My experience with Dr. Parker could not have been more different. I had a phone consultation with him in March 2017. One of the first things that he said was “I am 100% certain that you do not need a hysterectomy”, while showing me healthy uterine tissue on my latest MRI. His gentle and calm manner came across over the phone, so I decided to travel from Australia to the US to see him in late June. When he examined me, he said cheerfully that it was great that I only had one fibroid, even though it was large, as it would only take him 1.5 hours to remove and was technically easier than removing multiple fibroids. He assured me that he had successfully removed larger fibroids from other women. I was stunned as this was the complete opposite of everything else I had heard. Dr. Parker has a great sense of humour that put me at ease and a genuine concern for patients that gave me confidence that I had not wasted time or money to see him. Dr. Parker performed my abdominal myomectomy on 3 July at UCLA Medical Centre. The procedure took a little over an hour, and one large fibroid and a pea-sized fibroid not visible by MRI were removed, with minimal blood loss (50cc). The level of care at UCLA Medical Centre was outstanding. Both Dr. Parker and one of his residents came to check on me every morning during my two-night stay. Dr. Parker also called me each evening – including on 4 July, when everyone else was watching the fireworks. His kindness in ensuring that I knew as soon as possible about the benign pathology result was much appreciated. Although I am now only 4 weeks post-op, I already feel better than I have in years. Dr. Parker’s level of care includes asking me to keep him informed of the result of my six-week post-op visit back in Australia. Before I travelled to the US, I read Dr. Parker’s stellar reviews online and the cynic in me wondered whether anyone could be that good. The truth is, Dr. Parker is that good, and no written review can do justice to this extraordinary healer. Believe me – it is worth every penny to travel any distance to see him. Although my case was not challenging for someone of Dr. Parker’s calibre, the surgery has still had a big impact as it means the world to me to be fibroid free. If you are lucky enough to have received advice or treatment from Dr. Parker, please repay that good fortune by telling every woman you know who has fibroids to get another opinion, especially if the only option given to them is hysterectomy. There is an article by Dr. Parker on his website about myomectomy myths which cites evidence that even if the ovaries are kept, hysterectomy before age 50 is associated with a significant increase in the risk of heart disease and stroke. Women need to be aware of this information when making important decisions about their health. Despite my difficult experience before I met Dr. Parker, my story is one of hope: don’t give up, insist on asking questions about all the treatment options, and don’t give in until you get the right health outcome.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2017

Dr. William Parker's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. William H. Parker is a board-certified Fellow in the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Dr. Parker is a Clinical Professor at the UC San Diego School of Medicine and former Director of Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery at the UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica. He has been chosen for Best Doctors in America and Top Doctors since the late 90’s.

• English

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1974)

• Uterine fibroids