Ratings for Dr. William Parker

I was referred to Dr. William H. Parker for my recent laparoscopic myomectomy. My last experience with a myomectomy was in 2007 with a different doctor, and it was abdominal. I didn’t have a pleasant experience. It went on short term disability in May 07, and was unable to return to work before July 07. It was approximately 4 – 5 months before I returned to any type of physical activity. 10 years later, when I learned that I had new fibroids that were possibly interfering with my fertility, I couldn’t bear the thought of going through another myomectomy. My fertility doctor told me that Dr. Parker was the best and that he might be able to figure out a solution for me since he is an expert in non-invasive surgery. In November of 2016, I went for my MRI, and at least 10 fibroids were discovered, and Dr. Parker walked my husband and I through their locations. I cried in his office because there was a chance that laparoscopic surgery was not the best choice for me. Dr. Parker asked, “Why are you crying?” My husband responded, “Her experience last time was so bad and she doesn’t want to go through that again.” In a gentle manner, Dr. Parker said that he would take another look at my MRI and my chart, and see if there was any way that he could map out a pathway to rid me of fibroids with his minimally invasive technique. I went in for my procedure in March 2017, and in the end, he found 15 fibroids, and he got them all. He relayed to my husband that it was almost a record amount that he’d removed laparoscopically. What was supposed to be a 2-hour surgery turned into a 4-hour surgery. Afterwards, he let me know that he was willing to put in the extra time to know that he’d found them all. I remember waking up, and seeing my husband sitting next to me and it was the most beautiful sight of my life, and I also felt very little discomfort or pain. The last time I woke up from a myomectomy I was crying, covered in blood, and vomiting from morphine. This time, with Dr. Parker, I woke up, and asked my husband to take a picture of me, smiling, so that I could share on social media. I went home the same day, and slept and then had a pretty decent meal. Of course, I wasn’t comfortable, but I could get myself around. I needed my husband to pull me into bed a few times, and lift me in and out of cars. I think the biggest takeaway from my story is that I am a part-time fitness instructor. I teach dance, strength and weight training, indoor cycle, and was training to teach yoga. I took 3 weeks off. Like clockwork, I was ready to return to my regular teaching schedule after each of those 3 sets of classes. I had a post-op appt. with Dr. Parker on a Wednesday, and he gave me a clean bill of health, and I taught cycle on the same Thurs., weight training on Fri., and yoga on Sun.. I felt good. I certainly took it easy on myself, but I was up, mobile, and moving and there and present for my students. In one of classes, a student asked if my surgery had been postponed because I was back so soon that she thought I must not have had the surgery at all. That is not to say that all is 100%. 3 weeks after surgery, I was 85% at the capacity of what I could do before. But that is better than my 1st myomectomy in which I wasn’t myself for months! With Dr. Parker’s procedure, I had incisions that reduced my core capacity in yoga, lightened my leg-squat load in class; I couldn’t really run hard, and I lost some weight and therefore muscle mass. I was weakened and exhausted, and my stamina took a blow. Dr. Parker told me that this would happen, and he was right. I was tired, but my body just experienced significant trauma. I felt fluctuations in the uterus, cramping, pinches and sharp pains. But my physical form is a fighter, and I am blown away by what a healthy body can do to aid its own recovery. I’m glad I went through this, so that I could slow down, refocus, and appreciate the resiliency and strength of the human body. Overall, I was very pleased with my results. I think that Dr. Parker is a wonderful physician, and I thanked him, profusely. His bedside manner is top notch. I appreciate the care and attention before and after my surgery. My husband really appreciated the information that he got from Dr. Parker and his staff, as my surgery was happening. Afterwards, to know that I could return to life as normal, within a few short weeks was awesome. Dr. Parker has incredible and skillful knowledge, hands, and patience. His entire staff—especially Cheryl (one of the nursees) have been there for my pre-op and post-op prognosis. I feel very “seen,” “valued,” and “heard.” I would recommend Dr. Parker and his procedures and staff---any day. When I have my 1st born, I promise to send them a picture, for s/he would not be without him. They created magic, openness, and space not just in my uterus, but in my mind and heart. I am forever grateful.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

A few years ago, I learned that I had several fibroids during a regular ob/gyn appointment. I hoped that the fibroids would eventually stop growing, but the fibroids continued to cause great discomfort and a negative impact on my quality of life. My regular ob/gyn recommended fibroid removal and she referred me to Dr. Parker as he is the expert on fibroid removal on the West Coast. This was my first major surgery and I was very nervous about the entire process. Dr. Parker made me (and my family) feel at ease and was caring and attentive. During my consultations, he explained the surgery in great detail -- he showed me diagrams, we reviewed my MRI together, talked about possible causes, and went over the risks and expectations of the surgery. Dr. Parker is very patient and I deeply appreciated that he was willing to spend as much time as needed to answer all my questions. He does not try to rush you out of his office like other doctors. Given my numerous fibroids, I was certain that Dr. Parker was the right gynecologist and surgeon for me -- he's an expert in the field, conducts and publishes studies on fibroids, had done this surgery a countless number of times and teaches others about this procedure. Furthermore, he is very caring, personable and inspires confidence. Also, the staff in both Dr. Parker's office and the UCLA medical center was excellent. They helped me navigate insurance claims, set up the surgery date and provided all the medical leave information I needed to send to my employer. Dr. Parker removed approximately 20 fibroids and the surgery was a great success! I did not lose any blood and Dr. Parker did an amazing job with the suturing. Dr. Parker uses a suturing technique that is used by plastic surgeons. (Four months after the surgery, I'm happy to say that my scar is very minimal.) Dr. Parker's post-surgery care was also excellent -- he spoke with my family immediately after the surgery, visited me each morning after the surgery and also called me in the evenings at the hospital. I highly recommend Dr. Parker to any woman who is considering fibroid removal. He is an incredible individual and I'm so thankful for his expertise!

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

What more can I say about Dr. Parker?! He is FANTASTIC! As the daughter of a surgeon, that says a lot! After extensive research on fibroids and laparoscopic myomectomies, I just so happened to find myself on Dr. Parker's website. Thoroughly impressed by his research and experience, I quickly scheduled my appointment, curious to find out what he would say about my HUGE 20cm fibroid. Being a busy professional, I knew I wanted a laparoscopic procedure so that I'd only have to miss 2-3 weeks of work. Dr. Parker didn't even flinch! He was confident that he could handle a 20cm fibroid laparoscopically, and he did! In my case, most surgeons would recommend a laparotomy (more downtime, more pain, bigger scar) or a hysterectomy (removing your whole uterus!), but not Dr. Parker! He is all about preserving and repairing the uterus so you can return to your normal healthy life. Everything from the first visit to the last post-op visit was excellent!! I would recommend Dr. Parker 1000 times if I could! He is truly one of the best out there.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2017

Two years ago, after suffering debilitating pain and heavy bleeding, I found out I had a fibroid in the middle of my uterus. I saw a surgeon that performed a myomectomy to remove the fibroid, but he was unable to remove the whole thing. As a result the fibroid and symptoms came back just months later. I scheduled another myomectomy with the same surgeon and again, he was unable to remove the whole thing. About a year later (and months of pain), I found Dr. Parker and was thrilled to meet with such an expert. He was kind and explained everything to me with great detail. He explained that he could remove the fibroid with a hysteroscopic myomectomy, so no incision would be made and my uterus would be keep intact. We scheduled the surgery the next day and Dr. Parker made sure I was seen as soon as possible so I wouldn't have to endure another cycle. The office staff was very helpful and made everything easy. On the day of the surgery, Dr. Parker took wonderful care of me and I had a great experience with the rest of the doctors and staff at the hospital as well. I went home the same day and had an easy recovery. He called to check on me the next day and said that everything had gone great. He was able to remove the whole fibroid, including two others that had since grown in and they would not be growing back. The aftercare and follow up appointments were great. After years of being unable to fully function in life from pain and hemorrhaging, I am so happy to report that I am completely pain free and the heavy bleeding has ceased. My cycles are light and only last around two days. I highly recommend Dr. Parker to anyone suffering from fibroids. I don't feel it's an exaggeration to say that Dr. Parker gave me my life back! I am so thankful for his skill, knowledge and kind demeanor. If you reading this, look no further- you've found the solution!

flag | Submitted March 5, 2017

This is a talented, kind and terrific doctor... if you have a fibroid you must go to him and hear what his experience has to say about yours. There are so many people who have written the most glowing reviews for the same reason I am here typing away sharing with you, An amazing doctor. Rare. A professional committed to the care of women. This is the man you go when you find you have these dastardly and havoc causing fibroids. I became severely anemic because I was running around with life, work and kids and just assumed my changing body would eventually stop bleeding as severely as it was. Duh. So typical of us not to get it looked at.. when I finally did go to my loving and trusted Gyn, she told me to have a hysterectomy. "You don't need all that in there".. I left her office pretty freaked out.. maybe I don't need it to make any more babies - but it's a place holder for SOMETHING. Sleepless late night research found Dr Parker.. and he's local! A bit of a bumpy ride getting the first appointment but all supportive and wonderful once in there.. Dr Parker sat with me and my test results and gave me carefully explained options with his photocopied almost cartoon like sketches that he scribbled over with his doctor pen and made notes. I chose "take that freaking thing out of me as soon and as bloodless as you can" option, which meant going through a hole he didn't have to make and chipping away at my very large vampire blob until it was gone. It took under two hours. Yes, having a hysterectomy would have been faster.. but it was important to me to keep her, I don't have cancer in my family and I'm older so the chance of it growing back is very little.. but if it does come back I can get a little shave instead of being a dummy head and waiting. Getting a second opinion and being responsible for your own Heath care is imperative in this time of rushed big surgeries and a big medical mess.. finding doctors like William Parker is what you need to do when you have been told something that just doesn't feel right. I am super thankful to this man!

flag | Submitted February 25, 2017

I had a myomectomy with Dr. Parker, and the results were very disappointing. To begin, please know that if you develop a rash and/or your surgical wound opens and is leaking fluid and/or pus( take pictures) this may be a sign of a infection If your surgeon does not want to treat you for the symptoms or attempts to suture the wounds, insist on a blood test and culture of the wound. Just suturing the wound in my opinion will not help if you have a staph infection or Hospital Acquired Infection. Within two weeks of surgery I developed a horrible rash and my surgical wound leaked fluid, and opened on more than one occasion. After an urgent care visit, numerous post operation visits to Dr. Parker, I found myself in E.R. Eventually, I was rehospitalized by another physician. Please seek out another Physician that will do a blood test and a would culture. It may not be in your best interest to provide the name of the surgeon who performed the surgery, as this may serve as a bias in the quality of care you receive, particularly if you know they know your surgeon. Above all listen to your instincts.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2017

Dr Parker's visit with me saved me an unnecessary surgery, unnecessary money spent, and unnecessary worry over my health!!! He is worthy of your Trust. Kind. Caring. Professional. Off the Charts in Patient Care!

flag | Submitted February 23, 2017

I didn't even know that I had a fibroid until I got pregnant with my first child and it grew to 7in diameter from the pregnancy hormones. Unfortunately I lost my baby from pre-eclampsia when I was 27 weeks pre-natal. I was left with a fibroid that was big enough for strangers to continually ask me when I was due. This was troubling from what I had experienced so I started researching and found Dr. Parker online and was grateful that he was a specialist and that he was in my vicinity. Even though the fibroid was huge, Dr.Parker was able to perform the minimally invasive (laparoscopic) myomectomy surgery. I was so happy that I wouldn't have to have the abdominal surgery! This was the best news I had heard in a long time. I was in and out of the hospital the same day! My recovery time was quick and he was very helpful in his instructions and knowledge. His skills and experience are unmatched!

flag | Submitted February 9, 2017

I do not have the words to express my gratitude to Dr. William Parker but here goes… I was diagnosed with a fibroid tumor and according to a few doctors in Arizona, it was impossible to remove the tumor without removing my uteris. They stated that the fibroid was in a location that was too difficult to remove. I was very displeased to hear that a hysterroctomy was my only option. Plus, this information was coming from three female doctors. One of the doctors even refused to continue seeing me unless I was willing to have my uteris removed. However, due to my stubborness and willingness to keep my body part (uteris), I decided to research a doctors out-of-state for another options. Afer nine months of heavy bleeding, low iron, dry hair, tiredness, just to name of few symptoms, I found Dr. William Parker. My husband drove me from Arizona to Califonia to see Dr. William Parker. We were very excited about this appointment, I must say, and possibly my last hope to avoid a hysterroctomy. Prior to my appointment, I had sent him my MRI results, with a clear image of the tumor location. He sat down with my husband and I to discuss my tumor and my options. He advised us that he would be able to remove my tumor without compromosing my uteris. It sounded to good to be true. He answered all of our questions and we scheduled an appointment for surgery. On the way back home to Arizona I became emotional as I believed this was a miracle come true. I was very fortunate to have found a doctor that was confident in his in ability to remove a fibroid in which the doctors in Arizona stated that they were not able / unable to perform such a surgery. On the day of the surgery Dr. William Parker stopped by my hospital room to reassure me that everything would be ok. Sure enough, everything went smoothly. Actually, he informed my husband who was waiting in the lobby that the actual surgery took 20 minutes and went better than expected. I was very grateful with to have found such as brilliant, caring and confident doctor. I hope there were more doctors with the characterics of Dr. Parker. I am grateful for my experience with him and I would highly recommend him to anyone. Lasty, my husband wanted me to say that Dr. William Parker is THE MAN!!

flag | Submitted January 30, 2017

Wonderful experience with a highly skilled and personable doctor : I had a benign dermoid cyst on my ovary, so theoretically it is a very simple surgery, but because of some previous surgeries/issues, the surgeon would have to be very, very careful that ovarian tissue would be preserved when removing the cyst. I went to consultations with several gynecologists over the years, and most of them could not give me anything more than a probable favorable outcome, but still with an open surgery (i.e. I would spend months recovering from). When we were finally able to set an appointment with Dr. Parker, he assured us with his spotless surgical track record (not sure why other surgeons never brought theirs up...) and bonus!! while doing it laparoscopically (i.e. walking on day 0 and recovery within 2 weeks). Even though it's not a terribly complicated surgery, Dr. Parker still requested the operative reports from my previous surgeries and ultrasounds I'd taken (not the reports, but the actual images themselves that we had to request from the hospital), so he could have an accurate idea of what the situation inside was like. Such a thoroughness really stood out and impressed me when so many other surgeons were not so finely-detailed. The place where Dr. Parker operates (UCLA Santa Monica) is supposedly the best on the west coast, and it definitely shows. The facility is top-notch, with super knowledgeable, accommodating, and patient staff, and pretty awesome little perks as well (e.g. the hospital shift they have you change into is pretty sturdy and has this ability to attach to a warm air hose so you're not freezing as you wait). This translates to the operating room as well, because obviously better surgical equipment is more important than warm air hoses. You can tell the medical team that Dr. Parker has in the operating room also know what they're doing, and they do their best to keep you informed so you know what to expect at all times, whether you're in or out of consciousness. As Dr. Parker assured us, the surgery was successful!! Definitely a positive experience (best so far!) and highly highly highly recommend Dr. William Parker.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2017

Dr. William Parker's Credentials

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1974)

MSP/BC Med