Dr. William Parker

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. William Parker

Beginning in my teenage years, I started to experience unusually heavy menstrual periods accompanied with extreme pain and vomiting. It was not unusual to stay home from school or work due to my menstrual cycle. At the age of 18, I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids. At that time, my gynecologist said not to worry and they remained small clusters for many years. During my early 30’s, a different gynecologist suggested Yaz birth control to reduce my growing fibroids. After six months, I stopped taking the birth control due to the alarming side effects. From then on, I tried diet, exercise, rest, and stress reduction, but my fibroids continued to grow at an unceasing pace. Once I experienced fibroid degeneration at the age of 37, I knew it was time for surgery. By that time, my fibroids had grown in considerable size to the point where I could feel and see them protruding from my abdomen. When my gynecologist strongly suggested a myomectomy, my search for an exceptional fibroid doctor began. As I sought to find the best doctor to fit my needs, Dr. Parker’s experience and dedication to fibroid research was the most impressive. The day of my first appointment, my nervousness was calmed by Dr. Parker’s personality and his easy-going disposition. He immediately lessened my fears with his reassuring words. He is an excellent listener, warm, personable, direct, and honest. My appointment was not rushed and I didn’t have to wait long to see him. He explained the size of my fibroids in detail and what to expect after surgery. Even though he relocated to San Diego, I traveled the distance from Los Angeles so he could perform the surgery and maintain my care. The morning of the surgery, Dr. Parker assured me that the procedure would go well and that I had nothing to worry about. 14 fibroids and weighing 5.5 pounds less, I awakened with a flat stomach for the first time in four years. Later that evening, Dr. Parker called to see how I was feeling and answered any additional questions that I had. Six weeks later, my scar barely visible, I have returned to my full exercise routine. I feel fantastic!!! I no longer have to hide my stomach. I now have the energy and upbeat attitude to tackle life no matter what situation is thrown my way. Dr. Parker embodies what every doctor should strive to be. He is a revered physician and teacher; he is matchless in his boundless medical knowledge, compassionate and thoughtful, with an unrivaled bedside manner. What a blessing I found him.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2018

"Dr. Parker has been such a blessing to me and my family during my battle with fibroids. After not being able to find a specialist in Northern California, I was referred to Dr. Parker's office in San Diego. After our initial consult, I immediately felt confident that Dr. Parker was the specialist I needed. Throughout office visits, pre-op appointments, surgery, and post-op, Dr. Parker was caring, genuine, competent and made me feel comfortable. I was very nervous about the surgery, and Dr. Parker was extremely helpful in calming my nerves. I could not have asked for a better experience! I highly recommend Dr. Parker. He is highly skilled and very good at what he does. Thank you for everything, Dr. Parker!"

flag | Submitted June 5, 2018

After much research and talking to many doctors, Dr. Parker was a God send! Initially I was just getting information off of his website to understand what fibroids were, how they could be treated, and what questions to ask doctors. It was evident to me that I needed to speak to him as he was extremely experienced and not only did he perform procedures on fibroids frequently but he taught the surgery! Many of the other doctors said due to the size and location of my fibroid they would need to do an abdominal myomectomy or even a hysterectomy. There was no guarantee that if they did the abdominal myomectomy that it wouldn’t have turned into a hysterectomy. Being 31 years old and not having children yet, this was not an option for me. As soon as I met with Dr. Parker I was reassured that this was not necessary. He was confident he could remove the fibroid laproscopically which would be a shorter recovery time and would preserve my ovaries. Other doctors I spoke to were short with me and would almost get frustrated that I would think a laparoscopic or a robotic myomectomy would be the right answer. These doctors performed myomectomies about a dozen times year however Dr. Parker focuses on fibroids and performs approximately 150 over the course of a year. When I met with him for my appointment, he was so patient answering all of my questions], spent a good deal of time showing me pictures of what fibroids look like, what my options were as far as procedures, and even spent the time showing me the MRI pointing out the fibroid in each image. His confidence and excellent bedside manner calmed any nerves I had about having the fibroid removed and I knew he was the doctor to do it! In addition to being a faster recovery, the laparoscopic procedure was an outpatient procedure which also saved me a great deal in medical expenses. The day after surgery I was able to walk slowly and had mild discomfort for a few days but immediately noticed I did not have to go to the bathroom every hour or wake up in the middle of the night since the fibroid was no longer pushing on my bladder. Dr. Parker was caring enough to call to check on me himself the day after surgery. That is a standup doctor! Less than 2 weeks after my surgery, I flew back home to attend my brothers wedding with no issues. Now three weeks out of surgery, I’m moving at normal pace and all of the incisions are healing properly. I’m sure I’ll be back to normal in no time! So thankful I had Dr. Parker to perform the proper surgery needed to get me back on my feet much faster than others!

flag | Submitted May 25, 2018

I had a fibroid the size of a watermelon and thirteen others that were smaller in size. Needless to say, the location of the bigger fibroid gave me a myriad of problems including high blood pressure, gastrointestinal issues and constant rib/back pain. The smaller ones sat right on top of my bladder causing me to leak urine. After years of being rejected by doctors because they were either incompetent or did not want to give me the option of having a myomectomy, I finally met Dr. Parker. With so many prior negative experiences with different gynecologists, I was not sure what to expect. Thankfully, I quickly realized that besides being an incredibly competent doctor and expert in his field, Dr. Parker is an extremely genuine and warm person. I had never before felt so safe in a doctor's care. Long story short, the "watermelon" and the rest of the fibroids were removed. I am now almost 6 weeks post-op and my quality of life has greatly improved. At the same time, I am grateful that once I fully recover from surgery, the possibility of having children is still possible since my uterus was retained. There are just no words to adequately describe my immense gratitude toward Dr. Parker for doing what no other doctor was able to do. Thank you, Dr. Parker! If you are suffering from fibroids, please check out his website: http://www.fibroidsecondopinion.com/

flag | Submitted May 19, 2018

Dr. Parker is amazing! He takes his time with patients and is available for questions after the office visit. He and his staff made sure that I was taken care of after fibroid surgery. For fibroids, he is the doctor to see!

flag | Submitted April 27, 2018

When I went to see Dr. Parker I was scared and nervous about the size of my fibroids. He helped me understand the options that were available to me and explained everything in detail. When it came time to do the open myomectomy he was wonderful and his staff took such great care of me. I'm so grateful for the time and care he took with me and my life is so much better post surgery.

flag | Submitted April 20, 2018

In late 2015, I saw my physician about my fibroids which were getting very large, ( the biggest around 15cm) and were causing problems for me. My OBGYN, who was highly recommended, stated I should have a hysterectomy, even though my cancer screening was negative. When I asked her if she could perform a myomectomy so I could keep my uterus and ovaries, she was not even willing to discuss it, or provide clear rationale as to why she would not do it. I kept putting off the surgery even though they had me scheduled two different times. I was enduring heavy, painful periods and the fibroids were pressing on my bladder and kidney. I managed to hang on until I found Dr. Parker's website in the summer of 2017. I sent an email with my ultrasound results and fortunately he agreed to a consultation. It took 5 months along with an uncomfortable MRI, but I saw Dr. Parker in December 2017 where he told me it was totally feasible to remove the fibroids leaving the uterus and ovaries intact. We scheduled the surgery for January right then and there. It is now February and I am recovering from a successful surgery. It is hard to express how happy I am with the results. It is such a wonderful feeling to have those things gone and still have all my normal female functions intact. I have friends and relatives who have had hysterectomies and they are almost all suffering from it in one way or another. I just wonder how many of them could have had myomectomies if only there were enough skilled surgeons. So many thanks to Dr. Parker and his staff and all involved with my care at UCSD Health. Dr. Parker is a caring, down to earth and completely approachable person. I am happy too, knowing Dr. Parker is training many other doctors in the surgical techniques he has perfected, it is sorely needed. I hope Dr. Parker will be able to practice for a long time so he can help many more women.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2018

5 stars are not enough! I would be living in a profoundly different reality had it not been for Dr. Parker. I would have had to endure a high risk, and unnecessary hysterectomy that would have thrown me into immediate menopause and made me dependent on external hormones. Fortunately, I found Dr. Parker in time. I had a very large fibroid tumor, 6 inches in diameter, and several smaller ones. The doctors I was seeing in Northern CA told me I needed to have and immediate full hysterectomy. Their reasons: "Just to be safe in case it's cancerous, and since I'm done having kids, I don't need those organs anymore." I was horrified that someone could so causally offer to remove my organs and treat them as disposable! I started doing my own research for other options, and found Dr. Parker's website called FibriodsSecondOpinion.com. Everything on his website made sense to me. I shared the site and one of the studies with my doctor, and asked why I couldn't simply remove just the tumor and leave my organs in tact (myomectomy). He admitted that he didn't perform that procedure, but supported my desire to seek out a doctor that could. So I traveled to Santa Monica to see Dr. Parker. When I met him to review the test results his office needed, I was immediately impressed with his knowledge, his directness, and his willingness to spend time to fully answer all of my questions. I felt heard, and validated. He assured me that I did not have cancer as the docs in Northern CA were postulating. a myomectomy was the best and safest surgery in my case, and I didn't need to sacrifice healthy organs just because I'm done having kids. I had never been faced with surgery before, and had a tremendous amount of fear at the thought of having open abdominal surgery, but Dr. Parker's expertise, and years of experience convinced me he was the only person I wanted to perform the procedure. I came through it with awesome results, the incision healed beautifully, and now, 5 months later, I am getting feeling back from the numbness created from the incision. Dr. Parker and his team at UCLA in Sana Monica were all amazing! It is no surprise that he was voted Best Doctor by the entire hospital staff. He is professional, thorough, THE expert in his field, with a great sense of humor. I am so very grateful to him, and I so deeply appreciate that he dedicates his time teaching new doctors how to perform procedures focused on organ conservation, so more women can be empowered with more choices regarding their health. I cannot thank you enough, Dr. Parker!

flag | Submitted November 17, 2017

If I could give Dr. Parker 10 stars I would but this only accepts 5. Dr. Parker is an extremely gifted surgeon and doctor. Generous, attentive and truly caring. I came to him with a really big fibroid. I am 37 years old and my fibroid was 17x10x11 cm. I wanted to do have a laparoscopic myomectomy because I didn’t wanted to go thru the abdominal surgery. Dr. Parker told me that it was possible to do it laparoscopically in spite of the size given the location of the fibroid. He assesses every patient individually and determines what is best for the patients. He listened to all my concerns and was very patient answering all my questions. His care team was also extremely generous. I had my surgery with him, it lasted 3 hours. No complications at all, average blood loss, no post surgery bleeding, no infections. The following day after my surgery the doctor called me personally to see how I was doing. He is so attentive and caring. After the surgery, the worst days were the day 2-3. After that it was just fatigue. The recovery was relatively quick. This doctor was able to remove this massive fibroid laparoscopically. Other doctors around would not dare do this. They will cut you open. But Dr. Parker has so so much experience on his side and he is so gifted and knowledgeable that he is able to performs his magic. 2 weeks after the surgery I had the post-op and everything was good! God bless him.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2017

Dr. Parker is a world class surgeon. You owe it to yourself to consult with him regarding any gynecologic surgery. I had a total hysterectomy performed by Dr. Parker and I wish I had done it years earlier. Dr. Parker is like an old fashioned Dr. that, unfortunately, you rarely find these days. He is easy to talk to and spends as much time as you need to understand your situation, options, benefits and risks. The surgery was much easier than I had feared. I only needed Tylenol for pain and was back on my feet very quickly. Dr. Parker and his staff are the best you will find anywhere.

flag | Submitted October 2, 2017

Dr. William Parker's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. William H. Parker is a board-certified Fellow in the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Dr. Parker is a Clinical Professor at the UC San Diego School of Medicine and former Director of Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery at the UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica. He has been chosen for Best Doctors in America and Top Doctors since the late 90’s.

• English

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1974)

• Uterine fibroids