Ratings for Dr. Gary Chornell

I have been going to Dr. Chornell for most of my life (20+ years), and I even continued to see him when he closed his practice in Edmonton (despite it being really inconvenient for me to go out to St. Albert). Generally I have been happy with him: he is a very experienced and knowledgeable doctor, and if you have a real problem, he will take it (very) seriously and do everything he can to give you the proper care and refer you to the proper specialists if needed. However, recently I have been getting more and more disenchanted with his practice. His front-end staff have never been that strong, but lately it has been getting far worse with them not answering the phone, being blunt/disrespectful, and mixing up files, prescriptions, etc.. Also, the corporate influence on his practice has been getting worse. Most people that go to him will tell you that he has diagnosed them with dry eyes, and he will push Alcon products on you (that I suspect he gets a cut for recommending). He is also a proprietary contacts supplier, and will boot you from his practice if you do not buy contacts exclusively from him at regular intervals (which he marks up heavily for a profit). He has now trained his staff to question those who do not order contacts from him often enough, and will become very aggressive to try to bring patients back in line. Although I exclusively order contacts from him and just use sporadically (a few hours every once in a while), I believe he recently thought I was getting contacts from somewhere else, and threatened to ban me from using contacts due to corneal neovascularization. When I pressed him for an explanation, he wouldn't give it, and only through my own research later did I discover that corneal neovascularization is caused by contact over-wear (which I definitely don't do) and the treatment is to change your contacts type (which he did not recommend). This is ethically dubious at best, but exemplified the lengths he will now go to keep his practice profitable. I am giving him some leeway for now due to the amount of time he has been my eye doctor, but I may consider switching in the next while if things continue as they are now.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2017

I can't believe that after 36 years as a patient of Dr. Chornell,patients that have been with him in my case since 1980 because the files were sent away 5 years ago we considered new patients. and not therefore eligible for appointments because they are now considered new patients. He diagnosed me with cataracts and told me to come back when I found that I had a problem. I came back and was rejected. In my view this is not what we expected. Personally I find this not acceptable,

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016

I had been seeing Dr. Cornell since I was a child, over 20 years. Apparently as a teen I was told that I could only buy contacts from him. I did not remember this and as I could not get into see him before a vacation, I went to another place just to get some contacts to hold me over. I told this to the lady who was helping me out before I went to Dr. Chornell's room so they had all the info. Dr. Chornell did my exam and then said he couldn't see me anymore. Very abrupt. I asked why and he said because I purchased contacts elsewhere and was not allowed to do that. I explained that this was told to me years ago and I did not remember but he didn't care. Wouldn't give me file just kicked me out. I was really embarrassed at the time but in retrospect I'm glad. No one else says I have extremely dry eyes or that I need glaucoma tests. My perception is he scams ways to make more money.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2016

I have been coming here with my entire family my whole life. Dr. Chornell and his staff are absolutely fantastic, and we always look forward to our appt! We always recieve the best of care. :) A big thank you to Dr. Chornell and his team!!!

flag | Submitted March 24, 2016

I have been seeing Dr. Chornell for years. He is very knowledgable and helpful. His staff are amazing and very friendly. The little lady who I believe is the office manager is always helpful and everytime I have been there I see her going above and beyond to help the patients. This office should Train other doctor offices on how to treat patients. It is rare now a day to see people who actually care. Bravo!

flag | Submitted February 3, 2016

Dr Chornell has been our families eye specialist for a number years. I like the way he takes the time to explain any changes in our eyes. Dr Chornell and his staff are very caring and professional. I highly recommend Dr Chornell and his staff.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2016

Dr Chornell is thoroughly professional in every respect. His advice has made a huge difference in my life now that I dont have to fiddle with glasses every minute of the day. My husband researched his credentials which are excellent and I have always instinctively trusted his judgment. I saw two other ophthalmologists before him but chose Dr Chornell for which I will be eternally grateful.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2016

I'm thankful to have Dr. Chornell as my ophthalmologist; he is a consummate professional in all respects.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2016

I have been a patient of Dr Chornell's for the past 5 years. Previous ophthalmologists I saw were not as thorough and patient explaining my eye care. I started wearing contacts 4 years ago under his care. I have had excellent results which I did not have under previous specialists. Dr Chornell found a change in my health and referred me to another specialist. Without his expertise I might not be writing this note. I have never heard Dr Chornell raise his voice. This is not his nature. If however, you are abusive, inconsiderate and not wanting to follow instruction, he has a right to tell you what you are doing wrong. It is his responsibility to make sure one cares for their eyes because you only have one set. I would highly recommend this man.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2016

I have been seeing Dr Chornell for 25 years. I am calling BS on the reviewers who said he "yelled" or was rude. He is very soft spoken and the only circumstance I could see him even raising his voice would be if a patient was rude or abusive to him or his staff. He is an amazing eye doc and thorough. I used to wear contacts but had to quit 20 yr ago as I developed dry eyes that was actually Sjogren Syndrome (an autoimmune disease similar to RA). He spotted this years before I was diagnosed with RA and had pushed my GP to screen me for autoimmune disease. Neither he nor his staff have pushed contacts and the fact that I am still a patient of his after not wearing contacts for 20 years negates him dropping patients who don't buy contacts. I see him more frequently now as meds I take for RA may damage optic nerve and I am glad to have him checking this annually. Will be very sad when he retires.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2015