Ratings for Dr. Gary Chornell

I have gone to this Dr for years but it’s time to find a new one. This office has the worst staff you can never get through on the phones. There were 2 ladies who were there for years and they were lovely but now I don’t know any of his current staff and they are very gruff. Plan on being in the office for 2 hours

flag | Submitted June 23, 2018

After 14 hours my eyes are still dilated this office should be fully knowledgeable especially eye assistant and guidelines coming from eye specialist

flag | Submitted May 18, 2018

I have been seeing this doctor for years and he seems to have to get at least one rude or condescending comment in at every visit. I’ve started to dread going and feel so disrespected after each visit that I am going to look for a new doctor. The comments from others on this site relative to “dry eyes” and the requirement to purchase contacts exclusively from his office are similar to my experiences as well.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2018

Dr Chornell has been a godsend! When my eyes flare up, he gets me in immediately and checks me at least every other day until the danger has passed. Office waits are a fraction of what they've been in other clinics and 24 hours faster than the emergency room. He has referred me to specialists and communicates with my family doctor. Together they found a diagnosis which otherwise, probably would have been missed. I don't know what I'll do when he retires

flag | Submitted February 1, 2018

Money scammer, uses expired products sets up appointments without consent, was told to come for test after test, my eyesight has always been average. After asking if there was any problems, he had no answer. Refused to book any further appointments, a year later received a notice saying I missed an appointment dated for that year. Too old needs to retire look for someone else you'll be glad you did!!!!!

flag | Submitted January 31, 2018

I have been going to Dr. Chornell for most of my life (20+ years), and I even continued to see him when he closed his practice in Edmonton (despite it being really inconvenient for me to go out to St. Albert). Generally I have been happy with him: he is a very experienced and knowledgeable doctor, and if you have a real problem, he will take it (very) seriously and do everything he can to give you the proper care and refer you to the proper specialists if needed. However, recently I have been getting more and more disenchanted with his practice. His front-end staff have never been that strong, but lately it has been getting far worse with them not answering the phone, being blunt/disrespectful, and mixing up files, prescriptions, etc.. Also, the corporate influence on his practice has been getting worse. Most people that go to him will tell you that he has diagnosed them with dry eyes, and he will push Alcon products on you (that I suspect he gets a cut for recommending). He is also a proprietary contacts supplier, and will boot you from his practice if you do not buy contacts exclusively from him at regular intervals (which he marks up heavily for a profit). He has now trained his staff to question those who do not order contacts from him often enough, and will become very aggressive to try to bring patients back in line. Although I exclusively order contacts from him and just use sporadically (a few hours every once in a while), I believe he recently thought I was getting contacts from somewhere else, and threatened to ban me from using contacts due to corneal neovascularization. When I pressed him for an explanation, he wouldn't give it, and only through my own research later did I discover that corneal neovascularization is caused by contact over-wear (which I definitely don't do) and the treatment is to change your contacts type (which he did not recommend). This is ethically dubious at best, but exemplified the lengths he will now go to keep his practice profitable. I am giving him some leeway for now due to the amount of time he has been my eye doctor, but I may consider switching in the next while if things continue as they are now.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2017

I can't believe that after 36 years as a patient of Dr. Chornell,patients that have been with him in my case since 1980 because the files were sent away 5 years ago we considered new patients. and not therefore eligible for appointments because they are now considered new patients. He diagnosed me with cataracts and told me to come back when I found that I had a problem. I came back and was rejected. In my view this is not what we expected. Personally I find this not acceptable,

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016

I had been seeing Dr. Cornell since I was a child, over 20 years. Apparently as a teen I was told that I could only buy contacts from him. I did not remember this and as I could not get into see him before a vacation, I went to another place just to get some contacts to hold me over. I told this to the lady who was helping me out before I went to Dr. Chornell's room so they had all the info. Dr. Chornell did my exam and then said he couldn't see me anymore. Very abrupt. I asked why and he said because I purchased contacts elsewhere and was not allowed to do that. I explained that this was told to me years ago and I did not remember but he didn't care. Wouldn't give me file just kicked me out. I was really embarrassed at the time but in retrospect I'm glad. No one else says I have extremely dry eyes or that I need glaucoma tests. My perception is he scams ways to make more money.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2016

I have been coming here with my entire family my whole life. Dr. Chornell and his staff are absolutely fantastic, and we always look forward to our appt! We always recieve the best of care. :) A big thank you to Dr. Chornell and his team!!!

flag | Submitted March 24, 2016

I have been seeing Dr. Chornell for years. He is very knowledgable and helpful. His staff are amazing and very friendly. The little lady who I believe is the office manager is always helpful and everytime I have been there I see her going above and beyond to help the patients. This office should Train other doctor offices on how to treat patients. It is rare now a day to see people who actually care. Bravo!

flag | Submitted February 3, 2016