Ratings for Dr. Michael Cusimano

Dr. Cusimano removed a malignant tumour from my skull 17 years ago. Mine was removed completely and has not returned or spread. We feel that he made the whole thing as easy as possible for us. The expectation for that tumour is around 7 years, due to recurrence. I see a neuro- opthalmologist now but I know Dr. Cusimano is there if I need him.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2019

If you are so lucky as to have the privilege to meet Dr. Cusimano, he is incredible. Young, skilled, knowledgeable in his craft to no comparison. Prior to seeing him I was referred to two older neurosurgeons which I did not feel comfortable allowing in my brain. Dr. Cusi offered me a different perspective in that I am managing my macroprolactinoma with medication. He felt surgery in my case would likely not leave me any better and obviously comes with risks. Dr. Cusi is still on my roster if things change and I require surgery, and I would definitely not go anywhere else. He takes time to explain everything in detail to his patients and is very thorough, allowing you to ask questions, see your results and really understand your diagnosis. His clinic was a nightmare to get ahold of. I did wait 7 hours for my appointment once (but it is a hospital and an emergency came through so that can happen), St. Mike’s is dark and maybe even dirty but it is home to very many qualified and skilled practitioners. Don’t let any of that hold you back from trusting this incredible Neurosurgeon with your life. A distant family member (75yrs old) had a huge tumour removed by him in 2018 without incident and was home in 2 days. He’s incomparable!

flag | Submitted February 21, 2019

Dr Cusimano removed a benign tumor from my husband's spinal cord (C3/C4) in December 2017. This tumor (spinal cavernoma) is very rare and we were so fortunate to have had Dr Cusimano as he has experience with cavernomas and was able to completely remove it with no apparent additional damage to my husbands spinal cord. Dr. Cusimano is very compassionate and knowledgeable, and took the time to answer all of our questions. Martine Andrews (the Nurse Practitioner on his staff) is also incredibly knowledgeable and very caring. My husband was in great hands and we are forever grateful for that. I feel that Dr Cusimano saved his life.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2019

My name is Lilia and I had a brain surgery on 25 July 2018, I want to thank Dr.Cusimano and all his team that assisted during the surgery. They did an excellent job! Thank to all of them I’m still alive. Dr.Cusimano is a very thoughtful, kind and very knowledgeable! The only disappointment I had was the staff(nurses) from St.Michael’s Hospital who took care of me after the surgery, very indifferent towards their patients.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2018

Dr. Cusimano is a thoughtful and capable Doctor who went above and beyond to care for our daughter. He partnered with a tremendous team at the Hospital for Sick Kids and lead a complex, difficult surgery. He even came to visit our daughter the evening after the surgery and called to check in.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2018

Hands down the best neuro surgeon! Removed a very large brain tumor. Explained everything to me every step of the way and kept my mind at ease. He also made sure to keep my family at ease while they waited patiently through a 13 hour surgery. Very kind and caring man.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2018

Dr. Cusimano is an extremely knowledgeable, humble and compassionate doctor/human. God bless him.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2018

Extremely professional. Will always put his patients first

flag | Submitted November 19, 2018

He saved my life , I nearly lost my life from a hemorrhaging meningioma. He removed all of the tumor. He is an amazing person

flag | Submitted September 10, 2018

My son was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor at St. Mike's a month ago. We were very fortunate to have Dr. Cusimano as his surgeon. Dr. Cusimano was thorough and compassionate all along. He explained the procedure beforehand in detail and was very receptive to questions. We were very grateful for a successful operation. Again, Dr. Cusimano thoroughly explained the post-op results. This is a great surgeon. I would also like to thank the doctors, nurses, staff and volunteers at St. Mikes who were understanding, compassionate and professional throughout. An excellent hospital in every respect. My only complaint - they could use more comfortable couches in the ICU waiting room, especially since many family of patients slept there many nights. A small point non the less.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2018

Dr. Michael Cusimano's Credentials

• University of Toronto (Grad. 1984)