Ratings for Dr. Ruth MacSween

The person at the front desk is meaner than a junk yard dog. Stay away.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2017

Dr McSween has always been kind and courteous along with her nurses....that receptionist on the other hand??? She truly needs to ditch that snot and get someone with a personality. I have never seen the witch smile, her attire is horrible and her attitude is totally unacceptable in that line of work. If you don't like your job sweetheart just move on. Maybe in a federal prison where you can treat patients like dirt and get away with it....or maybe not!!!

flag | Submitted April 18, 2017

Dr. MacSween R. spent an average of 4 to 5 minutes per biannual appointment I have had for the last six years. She does not bother explaining to the patient the side effects of medication prescribed by herself nor does she bother asking to the patient whether she can proceed with a biopsy nor does she mind that the findings of the biopsy be communicated over the phone by her secretary.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2017

She was professional, confident and competent and I appreciated her sense of humour.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2017

Dr. MacSween diagnosed and treated me for three skin conditions, all of which were incorrectly diagnosed by other physicians AND dermatologists, both within and beyond the province of Ontario. Furthermore, wait times are bad for ALL specialists in Canada. This should not be a factor in rating a Canadian doctor (blame the government; not the Dr). I would wait for a long time for Dr. MacSween's opinions on my skin problems; all of my skin disorders were disfiguring (i.e., at the FACE level) and she immediately was able to identify and/or treat them. I am thankful she is "the only dermatologist in town." She fixed me.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2016

I'll start with the positive - Dr MacSween was fairly punctual and her staff (nurse and secretary) were both quite kind & helpful. The negative - in terms of knowledge and helpfulness, I have truly never had such an awful experience in my life. Understandably she is a busy woman, but this was beyond - she took one look at me, gave the most minimal assessment possible and gave me her diagnosis -brushing off my questions and speaking in such a condescending manner that I was at a loss for words (Perhaps that was her intention). I left feeling extremely defeated and upset, but still thanked her & was willing to give her treatment a try, as she is the only derm available. The treatment didn't help in the least, it made things worse for me and now I have permenant scarring. Needless to say I sought card from a derm outside the city (whom was able to properly diagnose me and actually had compassion). Do NOT believe you are stuck with Dr.MacSween, there are MANY derms outside the city, and trust me, it is VERY worth it!!! Dr.MacSween would probably prefer you seek care elsewhere as she clearly is not interested in helping the majority of her patients.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2015

always professional and courteous, I have seen her over the last 6 years for treatment of basal cell cancer on my face. I alway feel confident that she will give me a diagnosis quickly and schedule follow-up as soon as she has an appointment available. She will also refer you on if she feels a specialist, for example, plastic surgeon is needed for the procedure.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2015

i recently got referred to DR. Macsween threw my doctors office. It took 2 weeks to get an appointment for a biopsy on a mole and then i waited a week for my results. She then booked me in for 3 weeks later to get my skin fully removed. I would not say wait times are long as this was a very swift and fast acting for me. She is a sweet heart to, doesn't have a bad attitude, she is a very well put together doctor. She is not rushed, her and i had an appointment and it was ten minutes behind time but she was with a older man who needed the extra time and care and he was very happy she spent the time to care about him. You don't know who she is working with or what she is doing so don't complain. I will recommend everyone to her as i had a GREAT experience and will go to see her for all my problems.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2015

Always good and very caring. She gives you confidence that she will get to the problem. Yes you wait but I've been a patient off and on for the last 8 yrs so I know she will help and priorizes the problem. Only derm in kingston and caries a huge caseload.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2015

I just rcently was referred to Dr. Macsween. I definitly had to wait a long time to see her, but it was absolutely worth it. After being mis diagnosed twice, once by the ER and 2nd by my GP she knew the issue immediately and acted quick. Everything so far is on the right path for recvoery thanks to her! She does seem a bit rushed at times, but when you r the only doctor for a city of 120,000 people, things are to be expected and its totally out of her control. All in all, if it wasnt for her, I would still be wondering about my condition, and going through numeroud unnesscay treatment. TY Dr.Macsween!

flag | Submitted January 19, 2012