Ratings for Dr. Charles Douglas Smith

Thanks for taking such good care of me for the last 10 years. You are the kindest and most compassionate doctor i know. Always listened to me and involved me in my care. Have a great retirement. You will be missed dearly.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2018

Between various family doctors, rheumatologists, and other specialists Dr Smith is the most caring compassionate Doctor I have ever met during my 70 odd years. He has been treating my RA for the last 18 years and have never had a bad or disappointing appointment. I'm sad to see you go. But enjoy your RETIREMENT and be well Thanks for everything

flag | Submitted July 12, 2018

Thank you, Dr. Smith, for your twenty-five years of care.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2018

Awesome Rheumatologist . Too bad he is retiring, however he has left me in excellent hands

flag | Submitted March 27, 2018

I've known Dr. Smith since I was transferred to the riverside hospital, twelve years ago, from cheo. Dr. Smith is a great rheumatologist. He listens and cares. There are many different triggers for auto immune disorders so it's very difficult to identify what the problem could be. He uses all of the tools available to him to help his patients manage their condition and live better lives. He can only do so much from a medical standpoint so don't expect a miracle cure. Dr. Smith takes care of his side of things but his treatments work much better if his patients take the time to research diet and lifestyle changes they can implement on their end. Google 'rheumatoid arthritis scholarly articles' and do a little research on your own. If you don't want to do the research then follow the paddison program and pray that your condition is caused by intestinal permeability aka leaky gut syndrome. https://www.paddisonprogram.com https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4036413/

flag | Submitted January 5, 2018

I've been seeing Dr. Smith for over 12 years for RA. He is the most caring, kind, gentle, Dr I've ever met. His clinics often run late but that's because he will see everyone of his patients even if his calendar is full. He sometimes has 2-3 patients booked for the same time this is a necessity because of his dedication to all his patient, he won't turn anyone away. When I first came to Dr. Smith my symptoms were confusing and irregular but he stuck with me trying several medications until we clicked on the right one. He even called me in the evenings to see how I was doing. He also referred me to a social worker who referred me to a psychiatrist to deal with stress from work which was aggravating my RA. He was concerned for my overall well being and not just RA. Dr Smith is truly one of the best kind of Doctor.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2017

typical wait time: 2-3 hours, then nice emails and not much of a substance; e.g., "I don't know" as his answer to the question about the reason for some symptoms.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2015

Dr. Smith is extremely kind and compassionate. He is very knowledgeable, and widely known as one of the top Lupus specialists. Dr. Smith agreed to accept me as a patient (not Lupus) after other doctors were stymied by the complexities of my disease. With Dr. Smith, I always felt like I was a member of a partnership. Unlike any other doctor I've encountered, he had the humility to say "I don't know". I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Dr. Smith as a rheumatologist.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2015

I was diagnosed in the early!! 70's.I was 11 years old and Dr Egils Mierins was my rheumatologist!! Dr. Mierins was a VERY unique character; he marched to the beat of his own drummer!Later on ( same decade, but LATER!!), I was introduced to Dr. Smith....a resident I guess (?) and learning rheumatology (?) from Dr Mierins. This was at the General , so I was lucky enough to also have Dr. Karsh (a wonderful, kind, and understanding genius!)on my side as well! Years came and went...I tried many different meds....some worked, like GOLD SHOTS!!...in my mid 20's....and, being somewhat of a unique character myself, I went away,...finally returning in 1998.I needed some medical advice..(Re:Rheumatoid arthritis...etc)and called the BEST doctor EVER, Dr. Smith...who agreed to see me...!!!(as tho' time had stood still!!...kinda..!) I am now on mtx injections and leflonomide....( for the last 9 years)and feel great!!Can't wait to see him in June, I loves him as MY Dr and his taste in music!!!!

flag | Submitted May 21, 2014

Being new to the area, I looked for the best Rheumy in Ottawa for Lupus, and all of my research brought me back to Dr. Charles Douglas Smith. He is such a good Dr, and a nice man and being in his care is such a relief. Having a chronic illness is difficult enough, one doesn't want to worry about whether they're receiving proper care. He has a gentle demeanor, and walks softly around diagnoses to make sure you're settled and ready for what's next. He listens, answers questions thoroughly. Really, I am just so happy I landed him as my Rheumy.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2013