Ratings for Dr. Vivien Brown

Dr. Brown has been my family doctor for 15 years. When I was younger (late childhood to mid-teens) she was very thorough and knowledgeable. As I got older, I seemed to become a low priority. She pushed the Gardasil vaccine on me immediately after it had been approved for males, after I repeatedly told her I felt uncomfortable about it. In addition, I went to see her twice about a large lump in my groin region. The first assessment was an incorrect diagnosis, which I was told not to worry about. The second assessment a few years later invoked a shocked response on her part, resulting in a prompt referral to an ultrasound technician, who "didn't see anything". Over five years later - still with my lump - I went to a walk-in clinic where the doctor identified a scrotal hernia right away, and recommended surgery as soon as possible to avoid strangulation. She seems to be preoccupied with speaking engagements and receiving awards for her women's health accolades. As a paediatrician she was fantastic, but as I got older she seemed to become very out of touch and I will not go back to her.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2016

After being a patient of Dr. browns for over 20 years, i have left her practice. She used to be a great doctor 10 years ago, but she is too busy with her other activities to be even a passable doctor anymore. I finally reached my breaking point after the following incidents: 1:dealing with never being able to get appts, 2:having to describe all the details of my medical issue to the receptionist to determine if i am even allowed to have an appointment 3: judgemental attitude towards mental illness with my son (which delayed his treatment dramatically), 4. refusal to allow her patients to switch to the other doctors in her practice - we tried to switch my son to another dr that he saw in her practice on occasion and she implied she'd be in trouble with dr. brown, 5. the other dr.'s in her practice no longer will deal with her patients for immediate issues (this was at least workable in the past). I have switched to a new dr. and am extremely HAPPY. I should have left her practice 5 years ago rather than putting up with the poor level of service. I just wish that dr. Brown had been honest with her patients and said she is dedicating her time to media, and private practice and is no longer serving her patients. I could have moved on sooner.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2015

Dr. Brown has been my doctor for decades, also for my three members of my family. Yes, she is always in a big rush, but her knowledge and care is top notch for me. Her style suits me as I don't need a lot of hand holding. I do a lot of my own research online. If that doesn't suit you, you need to find another doctor. I find the staff to be very competent. Note: Beware the Drug Store located in her new location's lobby. That pharmacist is a bit of a scammer imho (although perfectly pleasant, in fact too chatty for my liking). I asked him for something as I couldn't see it available on his shelves, so he looked it up on his computer and said he didn't have it in-stock but he could order it for me for let's say it was $100.00. I asked him was a generic version available as I thought the price was exorbitant, and he said no. So I ordered it through him. Lo and behold later when I checked the internet I find a way cheaper version easily available. I should have called the little rat and cancelled my order but I didn't. I guess I didn't want to cause any problems seeing as he shares space with my doctor and her staff, I wasn't sure if word would get around that I cancelled an order with him and they might think that was not nice of me. I just obviously never ordered from him again. UGGGG people will do for a little bit of money.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2015

I ended up seeing Dr. Brown on a Friday afternoon to make up for an appointment that had to be cancelled the day before. She was caring, considerate, and offered many solutions to my issue (which was/is impacting quite a bit on my life) one of which was to refer me to a specialty clinic with a six month waitlist. After not hearing back from the clinic for 6 weeks, I phoned Dr. Brown's office to make sure she had sent it in. Not only could the secretary (who spoke poor english) not understand what I was trying to say, she also said that the referral form hadn't been sent in. I went from thinking I was 2 months into a 6 month wait list to not being on any sort of waitlist and having no sort of care lined up at all. This was an issue I expressed a great deal of concern about with Dr. Brown, and she just didn't bother to follow up. Clearly she is too busy to care about her patients.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2015

I couldn't be happier now that I have found another family doctor. She will make you wait a month for an appointment and cancel last minute. When you finally see her, she will give you no more than 5 minutes with a "what do you want" attitude (she actually told me to hurry up because I was worried about something I felt she was not taking seriously). A family member of mine had a serious reaction to a medicine she prescribed him that another doctor said was an outrageously high dose. The staff are extremely rude, and when you try to get an appointment quickly, they will act irritated that you'd like to see a doctor before a month. That said, good luck trying to get them on the phone, they will never pick up, and rarely call back.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2015

I have been with Dr. Brown for twenty-nine years and am very satisfied. Sometimes one has to wait for a good doctor.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2015

Dr. Brown has been a great doctor but it is difficult to see her. She is involved in many health areas and her practice and patients will suffer. When you do get an appointment, she seems rushed and not really listening. It would nice if she was available more.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2014

Dr. Brown has been my doctor for over 30 years. I have always felt I am in the best hands for my health. Over the past year or so, it has been very difficult to get through on the phone and even worse to book an appointment, let alone a physical! It takes at least 3-4 weeks to see her and over 1 1/2 years to book a physical. Dr. Brown has shortened her working hours and is not available to see clients. This is my concern as I am getting older.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr. Brown's for 27 years. She is a fantastic doctor and extremely knowledgeable in every therapeutic area. She also keeps up to date on all the latest research in the medical area. Her referral base is fantastic and she gets you into specialists quickly. I agree that it does take a long time to get a physical but rest assured when you get to her she will be far more efficient that any other doctor in Toronto could be. If you are ill, she responds quickly and efficiently. I can't say enough about this wonderful physician.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2011

I went to Dr Brown for years. I must say that she is extremely knowledgable and does take the time to listen. The main problem I had was it became so difficult to book a physical. Last time I called, I was told that they were not taking appointments for physicals before 10 months away. Obviously this is not acceptable. I found another doctor, who I really like and who doesn't seem as hectic.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2011