Ratings for Dr. George Southey

I have been a patient of Dr. Southey for many years. He is very no nonsense and direct with advising you on your medical problem. Some patients may not like this, as they perceive their issue as requiring more medication or intervention than is medically necessary. Or they just want someone to coddle them. Whenever I have a medical problem, Dr. Southey always explains the options and makes a recommendation. I have not always liked what I hear, but it has turned out each time that he was right! Being a former health professional myself, I know he is always up to date on the latest medical knowledge. This is very important to me.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

Dr. Southey provided no helpful information or referals when I discussed my painful sprained ankle with him. After poking my ankle three times he told me my ankle was fine, and there was nothing wrong with it. If I felt uncomfortable I could wear a brace but it wasn't necessary. After 2 months of continued pain I was told by another Dr. to get ultrasounds and xrays done - it was then I found out I had a torn tendon and required physio therapy and a brace. If that's not considered negligence and a complete dismissal of my concerns I don't know what is. I will never see this Dr. again and warn others to stay away if you don't to prolong your pain and suffering.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

Dr Southey was my doctor for 27 years, I have recently moved out of province and I have never missed him or his colleagues more. Dr Southey is not rude, he has a good sense of humour or calls it like it is. His bedside manner especially compared to what I have experienced thus far with my new Calgary doctor is amazing. I miss him and this whole clinic. He remembers many details and always provides good care and followup.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2017

This doctor does NOT record information in the file correctly, does not follow up with specialist requests for further tests and bloodwork. 20 years after getting my file I see there were MANY mistakes by him, and a misdiagnosis made. Medical negligence. Disgusting. AWFUL doctor.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

He is my mothers physician and this is my 3rd run in with him regarding my mothers care. the first being when she broke her shoulder and I took her to the emergency dept. of the Oakville hospital where she saw the ER doctor who instructed her to follow up with her doctor the next day. We did and was told by Dr Southey that we either see the doctor who looked after her in the hospital or him but not both. I failed to mention that when I called his office for an appointment a recording came on instructing me that if I go into labour go directly to the maternity ward. No answering service and no doctor on call. So I took her to emergency as anyone with common sense would have done. The 2nd time was regarding her knees where again nothing was done. The last time was Thursday Sept. 22/16. My mother thought that she was having a bowel movement but instead she gushed out blood. I was not aware of this until the follow morning at which time I told my mother that I would make an appointment with her doctor. We saw him on the Thursday 2 days after the incident. He did the usual palpitation of the abdomen and a rectal exam. There was abdominal pain as well as dried blood on the rectal exam. He refused testing on the grounds of her age 94.5 years young and that any investigation into the matter would no doubt lead to surgery. He also said that he wasn't willing to do anything at this time because he wanted her condition to get worse. Where is the logic to this thinking. He suffers from a GOD complex. I did not leave his office until some tests were ordered. Up to this time, 11 days since the problem and during the course of the problem she has had a total of 5 bowel movements. After the rectal exam he told me that there is problem, but why not order tests. I have come to the conclusion that because of her age and the only health issue she has is high blood pressure she is not a money maker for him. She sees him only for a recheck of her blood pressure 2 times a year. Considering his approach to seniors and the way he treated my mothers medical issue, I could not and will not in good conscience recommend him as a doctor. I feel he lacks insight and the knowledge of how to treat our elderly.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2016

I saw Dr. Southey as my MD was on holidays. I needed a script for anti-inflammation meds. He was rude as he told me to do 10 1/2 hours a day instead and said he could not help me. I would never recommend a doctor will this kind of sarcastic attitude. I left disgusted by his cruelty.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2016

Dr Southey has been my family doctor for over 20 years. He is thorough, ensures that care is complete and planned out. He gives good advice. I think he has improved over the past 10 years, in that he pays more attention to my concerns and ideas, but not more than they are worth.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2016

Dr. Southey is not my regular doctor but I saw him in my doctor's absence on account of having an acute injury. He immediately prescribed me morphine which I soon found out was far too strong of pain medication on which I could not function in my professional life - the side effects were far greater than the benefits. Upon asking that the morphine be substituted for a weaker medication that had worked for the same injurnpy in the past, I receoved a call from Dr. Southey and was indirectly accused of having the potential of being a drug user/trafficker (?!). I've never been so insulted as a patient and strongly recommend prospective patients avoid this man based on my experience of being over-prescribed and demeaned. Thankfully, my doctor returned from vacation soon after and I receoved the proper care for my condition. Avoid this practitioner if you have a choice, in my humble opinion.

flag | Submitted December 25, 2014

He is knowledgeable and he cares. The more complex one's situation the more he gets on top of the problem and the cure. I have recommended him several times in the few months he has treated me.

flag | Submitted November 28, 2014

Extremely condescending. Short, rude and managed to belittle his collegues. We have requested to never see this Dr. again.

flag | Submitted January 8, 2011