Ratings for Dr. Trent Smith

2 years ago this guy sends us a copy of a letter in the mail that he sent our family doctor advising that our son was diagnosed with trisomy 21 ( Down syndrome ) we already knew but to officially find out that way was pretty rude to say the least. We switched pediatrician a . We had to take our song to RIH yesterday concerned about his cough and fever ... After a chest x Ray ,and 2 doses of ventilin , we were told he had a "slight " chest infection, we asked for antibiotics TWICE. This guy said it probably won't do anything . Took him to our family dr this morning because we didn't like that answer .... HE HAS PNEUMONIA! He's an IDIOT

flag | Submitted December 5, 2016

After months in children's and all the other pediatrician's in Kamloops at the time we ended up in Dr Smith office, at first I was stand offish after bing told I was crazy about a lump on my daughters back. He took the time he had us getting an ultra sound the next day and in children's with in a few months. My daughter has a genetic disorder that can cause toumers in her nervouse system. every appointment I spend at least an hour in there talking to him and he is always help full and answers all my questions. I have approached him in the grocery store and asked him questions about my other children. I think what some of you are mistaking as his ego is really just his quit deminer, he is more of a listener then a talker. Once he gets to know you and your child he has more knowledge. I have seen him for 10 years now and I talked to hIm about all my childs ailments not a family doctor for the first 2 years.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2015

I have mixed feelings about Dr. Smith. We had heard that he was very good with someone close to us when going through childhood cancer that so we were excited about our referral for our own child. But every time I leave the office, I feel frustrated. I feel like he is condescending, doesn't believe what I am saying and is fairly arrogant. I want to like him, I really do; but it is difficult. I feel like he has good knowledge about illnesses but has no time, patience or understanding about stuff like autism, FASD and ADHD etc. We have traumatized adopted children... they come from difficult backgrounds. When trying to get a referral for more testing to diagnose our suspicions regarding FASD and Autism; he eluded to the fact that our children will grow out of it. He also made a south shore vs. North shore statement. He said we were expecting South shore behaviours and abilities out of North Shore kids. I was nothing short of appalled. I had to fight for the referral.... and oh look at that. We have diagnosis of all the things we suspected. Overall, in the ER I would trust him to take pretty good care of my child in an emergency situation. But for things involving the non visible issues; I will go to someone else.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2014

I am seeing this doctor for 1 of my boys for encopresis. My son has autonomic problems since birth. This Dr talks to me as though I am a first time and stupid mother. I have 7 living children, so I am defintely not a first time parent. I see him every 2 months for my sons bowels, yet he carried on for almost 20 minutes on the fact my children are still grieving after 2 years since their 2 brothers died. That I should make them get over it. Or the fact that I homeschool and that the kids love our new baby and dote on him. Our new baby has TGA that required open heart surgery at 4 days old. What does my children's grieving habits have to do with why we were there? He made guarantees that he can't such as no more of my children will die. He went out of his specialty and made me feel like a bad mother because I don't parent like him. I found him rude and egocentric. I would rather take this son to Children's with our heart baby then have to keep dealing with this man.

flag | Submitted December 16, 2011

dr smith has been my daughters pediatician since she was one day old. she had many health issues and the hospital could not find anything in their test so they sent her home to clearwater area but i had rigorous follow up with him and he was the one to narrow down the disorder and have her sent to childrens for the diagnostics where she was diagnosed with congenital panhypopituitarism and unilateral optic nerve hypoplasia.he also helped to determine her mild cognitive delay, her anaphalaxis to bees and started the referal process to her autism diagnosis. i drive all the way from kelowna to see dr smith because i know he is a truely amazing doctor who is knowledgable and truely has my childs best interest at heart she has been thourough with all of my concerns and in regards to breast feeding issues i nursed for 18 months with my daughter and it was COMPLETELY encouuraged by him and he has never seemed to be either wishy washy or condescending as somethe reviews have put. recommend!

flag | Submitted September 5, 2011

Dr Smith has been one of the best Drs I have seen...and believe me we have seen LOTS! He is very concerned about my son and makes sure he has the best possible care available. Dr Smith visits when admitted to the hospital every day and makes sure he answers any questions we might have...I highly recommend Dr Smith!

flag | Submitted May 31, 2011

I was referred and had hoped that I finally would get some answers to our adopted sons reaction to pretty much all formulas and milk products. I found that his ego was completely out of check as he treated me like a first time mother when indeed I am not. We had adopted this child and knew the likely hood of Autism would be hig as both his bio parents had it. When I expressed my concern about autism and the fact that many have issues with not being able to digest gluten, casein and soy he told me that we didn't even know if this child would have austim and that I needed to just give him cow's milk and a product called PEG 3550 for any constipation issues. He also suggested warm baths for the tummy cramps. Bottom line my son has now had a formal diagnonis of Autism and indeed suffers from glutn,casein,soy,peas peanuts,sesame and watermelon!It is too bad that mu baby had to suffer for another year and a bit before my theries proved true...truly expected more from a Dr. that has children.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2011

I want to thank you all for posting these messages, because you just confirmed my fear about Smith, I agree with alot the negative response because its all true. I ahve found only one Peditrician great great great and i can not have her, but it figures a doctor from africa is better than our own canadian DOCS, I have also been haveing problems with him and 2 other from the same office and decided I am finding one out of town. I have twins and one was born with Kidney problems, and for months now they have frigged up so bad. I am so sicken by this, now i know why people want private doctors. I gathered the money for renal scan to chek my daughter whos been over due for the test a year now and they wouldn't do it. I am close to starting a lawsuit, and i am posting this @ 2:34am in the morning after i just got back from the hospital and This is who they say is the new doctor. No way thank god for google, and thank you all, con won over the pros sorry peeps

flag | Submitted August 31, 2010

Lacks knowledge about breast feeding and natural care of newborns. Too quick to try and force cow's milk when encouragement of the mother, frequent feedings, and breast pumping are what is required. Negative support for breast feeding such as this can destroy what should be a normal process, with long-term adverse consequences for the child and mother. Demeaning comments were not appreciated. This individual might do better in a non-people job.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2010

This doctor came highly recommended by Chldren's Hospital. Unfortunately, I think that his ego has taken over since he's left Children's. He is punctual, great with children and the staff is wonderful. Unfortunately, he always makes me (the parent) feel like I'm an over-concerned nut. He is always telling me that I need to relax, even after my daughter had life-saving surgery at Children's about a condition I had seen him about numerous times over 4 months (he kept saying that everything was fine...good thing I refused to listen to him). He is condescending and refuses to listen to my concerns. I also find that he is reactive to problems, and doesn't ever want to take a pro-active approach. My daughter has one short leg, and instead of refering me to an orthopaedic doctor while she is young, he says that it is too early to worry and that we can fix it later (thank goodness Children's has now made the referal for us). He could be a good doctor, if he actually listened to his patients and their parents.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2010