Ratings for Dr. Donald Chow

Dr Chow had three accidents in 5 years and had a brain injury every time. I have witnessed the immense suffering he has caused on hundreds of occasions. There is a very good reason that he is not allowed to operate at the Ottawa Hospital any longer.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2017

I had a consult with Dr. Chow regarding a torn meniscus. He was very helpful and informative, even offered to review my MRI with me on the computer. He is referring me to an orthopedic surgeon. Other than running late, which is a norm in the medical field, I am thoroughly pleased with Dr. Chows service, attitude, knowledge and how he treated me. I would recommend him to family and friends. The Sports Medicine Centre is fabulous! The Action Therapist is amazing!

flag | Submitted July 7, 2017

Great doctor, took the time to explain in detail my MRI. Very caring and wants the best for his patients.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2017

excellent back surgery - no pain and great recovery plan.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2017

He's a rude ignorant person, has the bed side manner of a bed pan. His secretary is his wife and I was also told to be careful how I spoke to her. Same old stories about his great father the farmer. Took phone calls and spoke of the Senators all the time as well. If you're not an athlete or farmer watch out. He may be a great surgeon but a jerk as a person. I wouldn't recommend this guy, beware.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2017

Trust me find another Doctor it's in your best interest.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2017

Dr Chow is the most rude, unprofessional physician I have ever met. I went to see him for chronic back and abdominal pain that 6 months of physiotherapy could not help. He asked me what my height and my weight was and then he proceeded to tell me that I have fibromyalgia! He did not ask me about my symptoms and he did not ask me my medical history before he started throwing that out there. It was very upsetting. He made it very clear to me that he is a surgeon and has no use for patients who come in with musculoskeletal pain. I can respect that but would rather be told that the appointment would be a waste of both of our times in a respectful way as opposed to the physician being insulting and condescending towards me. He asked me to point to where my back hurt but there was more to it than that since my pain changes location depending on how I am moving. But he wasn't interested in that. He was not interested in any of the other muscular pain I was also having. When I tried to tell him what my previous physiotherapist said he started to laugh and was extremely condescending towards me and the "pseudoscience of physiotherapy". Please note that these were his words not mine! He finally did a very limited physical exam on me and then started to tell me how I probably had arthritis in my joints and that there was not much he could do. I have never been spoken in this way by anyone before. I left the appointment extremely upset and mortified. I can completely respect that he is only interested in working with athletes with acute injuries and who require spinal surgery. But if that is the case, then this should be clearly advertised and perhaps if he took the time to read the patient file before you came in, his clinic could also notify you that you have made an appointment with the wrong type of doctor.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

Dr. Chow has done 2 surgeries on my back when my problem was in my sacroiliac in the hips to pelvic. He told me my pain was not a 10 but an 8 and he would get it down to a 3 or 4, that didn't happen. When he came into the room to see me 2 hours behind the first thing he said was I'm missing my lunch because of you. His nurse had set up the appointment. Then when my girl friend a nurse wanted to tell him what she was seeing with me he told her he didn't care what she had to say. He is very very rude.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2016

Rude, insensitive, unbelievable! Dr.Chow had obviously not even read the file before he saw my husband. Spoke for the first 15 mins about his accomplishments, and his accident. Stated that his MRI was worse than my husbands! Completely dismissed his pain. It was almost impossible to get a word in...we decided we better just leave. When we put on our coats to leave, he then , as a last min thought, decided to examine my husband. He was rough, and prefuntory. A complete waste of time. If the first rule in medicine is to do no harm...then he even failed that. He offered no hope, no suggestions, was demeaning and insulting. He has perhaps gone through a lot and that is unfortuate, but it does not give him the right to be mean, rude and dismissive. My husband is a wonderful caring man in a great deal of pain. Telling him that if he had cancer, then he'd know what real pain was! That he was a SPORTS dr and didn't have time for a sore neck. He dismissed the months of physio my husband has done, implied using any pain killers was tantamount to using heroin. The verbal abuse wasn't reserved for my husband. Dr.Chow had nothing good to say about the referring dr either and the Ottawa hospitals as well. Because we have been trying for two years to find a solution other than drugs for my husbands pain, our dr had sent us to Dr.Chow for a professional opinion. DrChow implied we and our family dr were asking for favors. He spent another 10 mins raving about that and himself. He had no interest in how my husband had injured his neck. He automatically assumed it was not a sports injury. He may have recovered physically from his accident but obviouslly has other issues he needs to resolve. He is a bully! He should record his appointments and listen to himself and " do onto others as he would want himself. " He showed no respect for people, his colleges, or his profession!

flag | Submitted May 17, 2016

On my first appointment I had to wait in the office for over 2 hours as Dr. Chow was behind. I have 2 bulging discs and 1 herniated disc in my lumbar spine. The solution: do physio and lose weight. I have done 6 months of physio every other day and lost nearly 50 pounds. I have also done months of chiropractic work. My condition is getting worse, not better. I do not recommend this doctor to anyone. He does not listen to you and compares everyone to the Senators. Not everyone is an athlete.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2016