Ratings for Dr. Victor Banno

Thank you to all the people who took the time to share their negative experiences with Dr. Banno. as I found they validated my experience. I saw him once years ago and found the experience disturbing. I am glad I trusted my instinct and did not return. Like others have noted, he diagnosed me after ONE session. He did however refuse to tell me what that diagnosis was, saying I would need to wait for his report. At the start of the session, he asked me if I minded if he smoked, this was during the 1990's when such a thing was considered inappropriate. I felt it was some kind of mind game. I did say it was "okay" but then he simply held an unlit cigarette in his hand throughout the session-WEIRD. And no I am not writing this because I am completely anti-psychiatry or anti-medication. I found him unprofessional, uncaring, and feel I really dodged a bullet by not seeing him again or even having my GP follow up to request a report, which he never sent. Best wishes to all.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2016

I went to this dr. When I moved to Vancouver with an existing ADHD diagnosis. He diagnosed me with bi-polar and "severe OCD" even my GP laughed when she got the report. I have seen other Dr.s and all agree on adhd, none have ever even suggest bi-polar or OCD!!! (For those who don't know, adhd is almost a polar opposite of OCD!). Please, from experience, psychiatry is an "art" not a since - second opinions are necessary, and should be required by the college of physicians. Choose the right dr. (Thus diagnosis apparently) who works for you.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2016

Very good doctor and has been able to assist me significantly. Reading the other reviews I can suggest why certain ones of you HAVE been advised you are bipolar, but rather than getting a second opinion or say actually admitting your issues you have decided to blame a doctor (who as he told me research it yourself or get a second opinion). All the best in figuring out or admitting what you do have xo

flag | Submitted November 4, 2015

Comedy. I guess his standard diagnosis is Bi Polar -- the only positive thing to come from this horrible experience (considering he was able "diagnose" me after one single session) was that I losy almost complete faith in the system. This was over three years ago and since then I have dedicated myself to the study of Psych and am actively pursuing a career as a Therapist even potential Psychiatrist... so that I can get to a position of power an implement some well needed change so "Doctors" like Bano are no longer "helping people". This man -- I have no words. Anyone doing their residence or other work stay away from this man. One day, when I've reached my necessary accreditation I will confront Victor regarding my brief experience in this office. All of two or three sessions. Insane.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2015

Dr. Banno made a difficult time in my life worse. After leaving an abusive relationship he wanted to have my abusive ex come in to get his take becsuse he was sure i had an eating disorder and childhood abuse i just didn't want to admit. It was the worst experience.the

flag | Submitted September 21, 2015

I have been a patient of Dr. Banno for a number of years, and, like the previous reviewer, find it difficult to believe the negative reviews that are so far removed from the doctor I see twice a month. Dr. Banno is always interested to know how I am feeling, if there are any changes in my condition. He wants to know what has happened in my life that might have influenced any changes, if it could be physical, or if my medications need to be adjusted. He sends me for regular blood tests to make sure one particular drug is not adversely affecting my liver. I am comfortable talking to Dr. Banno and confident in the drug therapy he has prescribed.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2015

I'm happy with my Dr. Banno experience, and his receptionist is absolutely delightful. Sadly, only the folks with a negative impression are the ones posting here. I was pleased to have gone through 3 sessions before he felt comfortable making any sort of diagnosis, and even then he suggested there were only mild to moderate signs of disorder. Before starting treatment, he asked me to do some research myself on the illness and medications used to treat it - specifically lithium so I would come to the next session with some questions for him to answer, or misconceptions to dismiss. He also sent me for lab tests to help with his prescribing. He is also very critical (in a good way) about drug therapies, and drug companies and wasn't pushing expensive medications on me. Lithium is dirt cheap, and tried, tested and true. So, low risk. Personally, I really like to hear stories about his other patients because I know that my thoughts and reaction on the experiences of others helped him diagnose me, and I liked examples of others who feel or behave similar to me. After several months, he told me that he didn't need to see me again for several months for a check in, for which I am due now.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2015

This man is arrogant, ignorant and in denial about the harm he causes his patients. He has no calling and is very dangerous. If you see him or any psychiatrist you will receive a psychiatric diagnosis and be put on psychotropic drugs for the rest of your life. (They are nearly impossible to come off of). I was misdiagnosed with mental illness after a cold-turkey of a benzodiazepine, then put on further drugs including benzos to treat the (withdrawal) symptoms which were diagnosed as further mental illness. When I decided to finally come off them all for good, after much research and first hand knowledge they were making me sicker, he blamed me for the symptoms and told me the symptoms meant I needed to stay on the drugs for the rest of my life, that there is no problem with these drugs, that he's never seen anyone have any problems with these drugs. Damage was done to my brain, but thankfully nearly four years later, I am recovering with no support from the medical profession. I am now very mistrustful of all doctors. What this man and his colleagues continue to do is criminal. Be warned. Be careful. What others say here about the havoc this man and his colleagues has wrought is true.

flag | Submitted January 5, 2015

This guy is a total clown. Misdiagnosed me, and put me on the wrong medication. Now I have noctural sezuires and problems with something called lexicon retrevial; have to take carbamazepine ever since Saw him years later at a coffee shop and he just laughed at my face. F off and die you hack

flag | Submitted December 28, 2014

This psychiatrist is dangerous!!! It is amazing that people like him haven't lost their licence to practice. Likely because there are a few people, who actually are bipolar, and he managed to get them on meds that help. If you want to see a psychiatrist, in order to listen to endless, repeated ramblings of bipolar celebrities, and to get a pile of pharmaceuticals for yourself, this is your man. If you expect to be heard, taken serious, correctly diagnosed, and truly helped, don't see this nutcase. I think this man has a serious mental illness, and it is irresponsible to have him "teach" students, who frequently sit in during his sessions. I spent several months seeing him on an almost weekly basis. He diagnosed me as bipolar after our first session, despite a completely different diagnosis by several other psychiatrists in St. Paul's hospital before and after seeing him. I'm not bipolar, and therefore the meds he prescribed caused me to deteriorate rapidly, in turn causing several dangerous situations for my health. He doesn't actually listen to much you have to say, when you answer any of his questions. Totally irritating, he NEVER looks you in the face, but sits with his eyes closed, while you speak. During the initial history taking session, he outright accused me of making things up, disbelieving facts. Worse yet, he made totally inaccurate statements about my personality, such as being impulsive, promiscuous, likely to engage in dangerous activities etc.  Any serious life circumstances I pointed out, causing me anxiety, Dr. Banno waved aside as irrelevant. All will be fixed once you're on the right cocktail of the eight pharmaceuticals you're taking. He is obsessed with speaking of famous people or other doctors diagnosed with bipolar disorder, incessantly talking about their lives. Then concluding, since these high functioning individuals are bipolar, and are now leading successful lives taking their daily medications, you too can be helped. Because you, your mother, and likely the rest of your ancestors, are all bipolar, but they didn't have the good fortune to be diagnosed. I wish I would've read other people's ratings sooner. As soon as I did, I realized there's an obvious pattern.  I truly wonder if Dr. Banno EVER diagnosed anyone with anything other than Bipolar disorder? ?

flag | Submitted October 31, 2014