Ratings for Dr. Daryl Penner

I have been a patient of Dr. Penner for 10 years. He is such a kind and pleasant person that I always feel at ease - not an easy feeling to achieve in visits to a dentist! Dr. Penner is quick to refer me to a specialist (root canal, implants) when appropriate. He pays attention to the costs by working with me to maximize my dental insurance coverage (over a year end, for example). I was also very surprised to discover early on that his rates are not as high as many of the dentists in Calgary (highest in the country) so that helps with my dental coverage too. The reception staff is exceptionally pleasant and helpful and most of the hygienists are excellent (I 've only had one who was very rough and abrupt and they respect my request not to book me with her again). I can honestly say that Dr. Penner and the support staff at this office provide the best all round service I've experienced in more than 65 years of dental care.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2017

Dr. Penner and his staff are absolutely amazing!!! Best service I've ever received and cannot thank them enough. Highly recommend Dr. Penner - he is a wonderful dentist that completed beautiful major work on my teeth. The receptionists are very helpful and kind, and go above and beyond.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2017

I have been with. Dartyl, as his patient, for a good 25 years He is kind, understanding and checks constantly to make sure you are not feeling any pain. He also has a great sense of humour which is very important in any medical profession. I should know, as I was an RN . I keep telling him that he cannot retire!

flag | Submitted February 1, 2016

Dr. Penner is a very compassionate and amazing person. He is the best dentist I have ever been to. I have been going to him for years, my children and husband now see him. The staff at Comfort Care are great and friendly.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2015

Dr. Penner is the worst dentist i have ever seen. I paid him over $12000 to fix my teeth (major major work). I originally wanted to get my teeth pulled and get dentures. he talked me into getting 8 or 9 root canals..... here i am 4 years later, and i'm about to go spend another 10-12 grand, because all his root canals fell apart. I have a partial denture that he made that never fit right and has now broken, and because it never fit right I now have problems with my jaw being out of alignment. this guy is a BUTCHER. I WOULDN'T GO TO HIM AGAIN EVEN IF HE WAS FREE!! STAY AWAY

flag | Submitted February 25, 2015

I have been going to Dr. Penner for almost 3 years, but will never see him again. The main reason is that he had me fitted for a mouth guard for clenching in my sleep. I went back b/c it was tight, and he modified it. Later I woke up to find it split in half in my mouth (lucky I didn't choke) and since it was over a year he charged me hundreds again to make a new one, saying he was charging cost. Also told me that it probably broke because he tried to modify it, possibly creating a fracture. So why did I have to pay for a new one? Now it's loose. I called and left a message months ago, no one has gotten back to me. I also had a chip filled, and it's the roughest filling I've ever had. And the surgeon he uses has no communication with him. I had a strange 5th wisdom tooth removed. Surgeon asked me if he could take the other 4 out at the same time. I didn't know what to say, Penner just had me in for the 1 tooth. Very uncomfortable situation.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2012

I went to Dr. Penner after someone in my family suggested him. As soon as I got there he suggested that I needed to put a crown on one of my teeth, and also get a root canal on another toother that would later need a crown. So, seeing as I do not know better I went along for the work. However, he messed up the root canal and I was in so much pain for a couple of days it was unbarable. I went back in and he made the pain go away. However, I was scared of him after this and switched densits again. My new denstist took one look at that tooth and said that I never need a root canal on it!!! ALso, the crown that Dr. Penner put on, my tooth is decaying underneath it now! Which my new densits said it was a fault of his, no fault of my own, since crowns should last AT LEAST 5 years. Now, I need to pay out of pocket to get my crown fixed, which is A LOT of money. And the tooth that Dr. Penner put a root canal on has now fracture. (Something that should have never happened!!)

flag | Submitted October 21, 2010

The hygienists are the best, the doctor is good but the front desk staff are the worst I have seen.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2010

Doctor Penner was very friendly and thorough, but I have had issues with him 'excessively diagnosing.' I went to visit him for my new patient exam and was told I had 8 cavities! Others who go to his clinic tell similar stories - no cavities in their lives, and then on their first visits to him he tells them they have 4/5 cavities. Total cost for the 8 fillings is $1450 by the way, of which 20% is not covered by my insurance company (I have 100% coverage up to the provincially regulated maximum coverage amount). I think that perhaps he is overzealous on suggesting fillings - he seems like a nice man and I would like to think it's the fact that he cares about his patients causing him to recommend these fillings and other treatments, but honestly I am having a hard time chalking this one up to that reasoning.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2010

Dr. Penner has been my dentist for 2 years. He had done fillings, and they're great. He is also a very nice and compassionate man, and he listens. Also, in defense of his hygenists, I had the best cleaning of my entire life at doctor Penner's office. I know he also takes a bit of time off each year to participate in "Doctors Beyond Borders" which serves an additional credit to his good charater.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2009